The waiting game after an interview

This is the part I hate most about trying to get a job. After you have an interview, silence.... I just keep staring at my phone telepathically telling it to ring -.- . I already know from the people I interviewed they are hoping to make a decision by this Friday, "hoping" so it could be even longer.

And I do everything I can to keep myself busy. I have applied other places, I keep checking every day for new positions open in different companies, try to stay busy, but every time, that damn cell phone, ugh!!!!

Anyway, anyone else have experiences or funny stories after an interview and having to wait for a response?

When you get so wrapped up in doing something else that any kind of interruption is annoying... that's when the call comes. It's like when your nose starts to itch ONLY when your hands are in the dirt, goop, etc. and you can't scratch it.

• Author
When you get so wrapped up in doing something else that any kind of interruption is annoying... that's when the call comes. It's like when your nose starts to itch ONLY when your hands are in the dirt, goop, etc. and you can't scratch it.

Haha this is so true in many aspects of life, though sadly a phone call would never be an interruption right now :laugh:

I have a interview this Monday for a new job and im hoping its going to be one of those hire on the spot ordeals because I know what you mean, come Monday I will be attached to my cell and be like "oh its you" inside to any ring besides the company :-P

• Author
I have a interview this Monday for a new job and im hoping its going to be one of those hire on the spot ordeals because I know what you mean, come Monday I will be attached to my cell and be like "oh its you" inside to any ring besides the company :-P

Unfortunately for me, I was one of the first few people to interview, there were others still to be interviewed, and it was with six people I met with, some who are in a different state, so the decision process would take a long time. Today was the day they were "hoping" to make a decision, but no call yet :( .

I'm going to contact their HR on Monday to see if I can get any kind of update on the matter, but ugh, gonna be a long weekend :mad:

This is the part I hate most about trying to get a job. After you have an interview, silence.... I just keep staring at my phone telepathically telling it to ring -.- . I already know from the people I interviewed they are hoping to make a decision by this Friday, "hoping" so it could be even longer.

And I do everything I can to keep myself busy. I have applied other places, I keep checking every day for new positions open in different companies, try to stay busy, but every time, that damn cell phone, ugh!!!!

Anyway, anyone else have experiences or funny stories after an interview and having to wait for a response?

In November of 2013, my interview was on 11/4 and I was offered the job over the phone on 12/9. So overall it was a total of six weeks after the interview

• Author
In November of 2013, my interview was on 11/4 and I was offered the job over the phone on 12/9. So overall it was a total of six weeks after the interview

booo I don't need to be hearing this >_< lol. Well I am glad you got the job, but I hope I don't have to wait that long!

The director did say they want to be able to have someone start working by mid February, preferably sooner. So with that notion, I would imagine at the latest they have to make a decision by next week, in order to start the paperwork, background checks, and etc.

• Author
I once received a job offer six months after interview. I was already working somewhere else by then.

Oh god lol.

booo I don't need to be hearing this >_< lol. Well I am glad you got the job, but I hope I don't have to wait that long!

The director did say they want to be able to have someone start working by mid February, preferably sooner. So with that notion, I would imagine at the latest they have to make a decision by next week, in order to start the paperwork, background checks, and etc.

I would send one last follow up on Thursday Night by email so they can get it on friday morning and hopefully give you a response by the weekend.

Unfortunately for me, I was one of the first few people to interview, there were others still to be interviewed, and it was with six people I met with, some who are in a different state, so the decision process would take a long time. Today was the day they were "hoping" to make a decision, but no call yet :( .

I'm going to contact their HR on Monday to see if I can get any kind of update on the matter, but ugh, gonna be a long weekend :mad:

Have you contacted them?

I can definitely relate! Waiting was nerve wrecking!

the whole hiring process for my current company took over 3 months and 4 interviews with the same department 1 with HR the second with the manager, the 3rd with the supervisors and the last was with the staff and then 2 weeks after that i got the offer and still had to wait another week to see if it was officially finalized. I was so tired by then that i didn't even care if i got it or not honestly! It got to a point that i just gave up and forgot about it until one day HR called and said we haven't forgotten about you don't worry! :laugh:

But when i did get hired i was already tired and my excitement was like ok....:confused: and thankfully all the effort was not wasted.

anyways hang in there you'll hear from them soon, how was your interview?

Edited by down hearted
  • Like 1

Thank you for this. I am often on the other end - the hiring end. We have this whole process where we hold off responding to any resumes until we interview our top candidates. Then, systematically, we review candidates' resumes and references again. Then, we make the decision and let everyone know. Interviewees get personal phone calls. Resumes only get letters.

But here's the rub. Real life sometimes gets in the way. Either someone who was part of the interview process takes a day off, or there's a deadline due, or another crisis popped up and actually pulling the hiring trigger takes longer than we expect. It's easy sometimes to forget that there's someone waiting by the phone for any news - good or bad - and that we need to be more responsive.

Your post reminded me that there are real lives in play. The next time I interview and life starts getting in the way of making those calls, I'll remember your post and make calling a priority.

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Author
Have you contacted them?

Sorry did not see this thread get any post, I missed them :laugh: yes I did contact HR, it was forwarded to the director and he contacted me, letting me know they were still interviewing people and had not made a final decision yet. So basically it is up in the air when I would hear anything lol.

I will say, they better hurry if they do want me, there are two other companies already moving me up the process to see if I am a fit for them, especially when they heard I was awaiting a response from this company, so that has help alleviate some of the anxiety :)

• Author
I can definitely relate! Waiting was nerve wrecking!

the whole hiring process for my current company took over 3 months and 4 interviews with the same department 1 with HR the second with the manager, the 3rd with the supervisors and the last was with the staff and then 2 weeks after that i got the offer and still had to wait another week to see if it was officially finalized. I was so tired by then that i didn't even care if i got it or not honestly! It got to a point that i just gave up and forgot about it until one day HR called and said we haven't forgotten about you don't worry! :laugh:

But when i did get hired i was already tired and my excitement was like ok....:confused: and thankfully all the effort was not wasted.

anyways hang in there you'll hear from them soon, how was your interview?

Haha that's too funny, that is how I am feeling now, I just want to know, yes or no, no more excitement left in it now :rolleyes: The interview went really well, was able to click with everyone and it went very smoothly.

• Author
Thank you for this. I am often on the other end - the hiring end. We have this whole process where we hold off responding to any resumes until we interview our top candidates. Then, systematically, we review candidates' resumes and references again. Then, we make the decision and let everyone know. Interviewees get personal phone calls. Resumes only get letters.

But here's the rub. Real life sometimes gets in the way. Either someone who was part of the interview process takes a day off, or there's a deadline due, or another crisis popped up and actually pulling the hiring trigger takes longer than we expect. It's easy sometimes to forget that there's someone waiting by the phone for any news - good or bad - and that we need to be more responsive.

Your post reminded me that there are real lives in play. The next time I interview and life starts getting in the way of making those calls, I'll remember your post and make calling a priority.

Good luck!

Thanks! and I get why there may be a delay. Particularly for this position, it is very deadline oriented, with unexpected things happening, so it is very easy for the hiring process to be pushed back. I will say, since I did see another posting on them on the position, they are now showing that multiple openings are available for it, so maybe they are trying to hire several in one sweep.

Good luck!

you are not lying about that, one time I had a Hurricane interfere with the job hiring me lol

• Like 1
  • Author

So the job finally contacted me, and......

They want me to come in for another round of interviews -.- wtf!?!?!?! lol oh well, gotta do what I gotta do :laugh: At least I know they are still interested in me :)

• Like 1
So the job finally contacted me, and......

They want me to come in for another round of interviews -.- wtf!?!?!?! lol oh well, gotta do what I gotta do :laugh: At least I know they are still interested in me :)

Hey, that's great! Good luck, hope you get it!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Author

I got a call from HR today and I got the job!!!!!!! Super excited, it is my career job and what I had been working towards for the past two years through schooling and exams. Time to go celebrate :D:laugh:

• Like 4