How far do you travel to your job?

I'm curious how far people are willing to drive/travel to work. I have a job opportunity but it'll take at least 45 minutes to get there and I'm not crazy about it. Here in Florida the travel time can take considerably longer during season when the snowbirds and tourists are here.

How long does it take you to get to work?

If you like the job and the positive aspects of it plus the compensation package are worth 1-2hours driving each day and the associated vehicle costs, IMO it's well worth it.

My exW had a similar commute (1 hr each way) early in our M and tired of it so moved her business closer and halved her commute. When we got our D I got her a house about 5 minutes from work and she loved that.

Myself, work is about 30 seconds away, on foot, maybe a second or two longer in our persistent tule fog. My shop is on the ranch so I work at home. Heading out there shortly after watching the state of the union speech going on right now.

I work 2 miles away. It's a 7 minute drive, or maybe 12 minutes if it's "rush hour" here in Montana.

I lived in the Bay Area for a couple years, and spent 45 minutes each way on the train. That actually wasn't too bad if you had a book to read.

Day job is 45 minutes one way. 2nd job is 15 minutes one way. I prefer shorter commutes, but 45 minutes is my max one way.

45 minutes one way would be good traffic for me. In the evening it is usually an hour or an hour and a quarter to get home. Can take more of course - I think 2.5 hours was the worst :eek:

Usually between 45 minutes to 1h30, depending on where I'm working (I have 2 main job sites) and mode of transport (tube or bus).

But then again, in London EVERYWHERE takes about an hour to get to. It's ingrained in all of us that live there, that, wherever you might be going, it will take you an hour (even if it doesn't)

With no traffic it is 45 minutes (which almost never exists in the land of gridlock). My normal morning commute is about 50-70 minutes. Evening will greatly vary on when I leave and it can be 50 minutes to 2 hours. I also am on the road by 6:00/6:15 am.

I can't say I enjoy it but it is what it is and I do like my company.

Mu distance is a mile and a half.

Driving it's 15 mins with angst and traffic let alone petrol costs etc.

I walk, it's 20/25 mins chilled out and looking at trees. :)

I want some snow..love walking in the snooooow! :)

evanescentworld

2 miles. 34 minutes on foot, 14 minutes on my bike.

There is a bus which takes 9 minutes, but I can't currently afford the bus fare....

Still, it keeps me fit!!

When I go to the office, about 25 minutes. I refuse to work further away than that. I must be able to come home at lunch if needed to care for a pet or whatever. I own my house now, but before I did, I would move very close to work, sometimes within walking distance when that was possible. I think it's the smart thing to do if you're still living in apartments or renting. Makes you more reliable and gives you more time to yourself and no commute time. All that commute time is a waste of life. But if you've got to do it, at least plan a route so all your errands get done coming home or going to work or during your lunch at work, even if you have to keep a cooler in your car. That way, you make up for some of the lost commute time.

• Like 1

Hmmmmm...

crawl out of bed, put robe on, walk down stairs to start coffee...

About 28 steps.

• Like 3

My job is 13 miles away. Moving so it will be 7 miles. Sometimes you take a job where you can get one if the benefits outweigh the risks. I wouldn't travel more than an hour though. It already can take 45 minutes in rush hour traffic.

Hmmmmm...

crawl out of bed, put robe on, walk down stairs to start coffee...

About 28 steps.

Less for me, thirteen steps from the bed to the office. But that is balanced by other trips to work. Yesterday, 75 miles to the first job.

Having been unemployed for almost five years (on and off) due to my circumstances, I wouldn't be too picky. If you're in good enough shape in the job market where people are falling over themselves to offer you a job, go ahead and get something closer...better too.

I now work 25 minutes from work but when (and I'm pretty sure this will happen eventually) I move back to my favorite area, it will be more like 45-50 min. I would consider that a no-brainer. I'm very pleased to have something and the combo of having good employment and living in my preferred area is a win in my book.

Also, my new work (insurance sales) means I will be driving all over the county during work hours, weekends, evenings etc. I have just resigned myself to that fact. Would I rather work from home? Been there, done that. I wasn't able to make it work, so This is FAR superior to me (assuming I can make this work that is.) :)

I'm curious how far people are willing to drive/travel to work. I have a job opportunity but it'll take at least 45 minutes to get there and I'm not crazy about it. Here in Florida the travel time can take considerably longer during season when the snowbirds and tourists are here.

20 to 30 mins has always been the norm for me the past 15 years

Takes me 1hr and 15min usually... 1hr if everything goes my way haha

Yes, some people think I'm crazy, but I love the neighborhood I live in.

Takes me 1hr and 15min usually... 1hr if everything goes my way haha

Yes, some people think I'm crazy, but I love the neighborhood I live in.

hope the salary makes up for the

1. early wake up time

2. Late arrival time at home in the evening

It takes me at least 45mins on a good day, during the week with that morning traffic forget it, its a joke you will be stuck in traffic for a good 1- 2 hours! Its that bad! Plus gas and tolls, i really wish i worked closer to home but the job opportunity is excellent so i had to do some sacrificing :o

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

One hour. I've moved around and it has taken a bit more, a bit less.

It's not the travel time, it's predictability (or lack thereof) that makes a difference.

The worst was when I lived in an area with weird traffic and unpredictable traffic jams and thus, travel time. I could never plan anything.

I was not a commuter-type at all when I started this. But I've been commuting now for more than 7 years and it's well worth living in a town I like but working a job I like.

Also, I now telecommute 2 days/week, but for years I did not.

Books on tape have helped immensely.

And I used to commute with a lot of traffic, but moved the other direction-- even farther away but no traffic. That makes all the difference. It's even kind of relaxing now, looking at the scenery and listening to audiobooks.

• 2 weeks later...

Used to take 45 minutes to an hour depending on traffic. It was a long boring commute IMO because there is a lot of nothing in between except traffic. It didnt help that everyone that worked there was unfriendly and miserable.

If I get this new job, it will be a 45 minute to 2 hour commute, depending on traffic. However it is through some beautiful mountain/forest ranges, plus I get to blast my music on the way there with no interruption :p

My drive takes about an hour in the morning and about 45 minutes in the afternoon. If the job is worth it, then take it. I actually kind of enjoy the peace and quiet driving to work in the am.