Is this indirect criticism?

I'm not sure how I'm supposed to interpret these comments made by my co-workers and superiors. Long story short, I've been working at this school since fall 2012 and all year long, including summers. Today, one of my superiors asked me if this is my second or third semester. It's actually my seventh and she should know it since she is one of my direct superiors. I told her this and she asked me if there was light at the end of the tunnel. I wasn't sure what she meant so I laughed and said "hopefully".

I'm left with only two conclusions. Either I'm that interesting and important or she is criticizing me indirectly.

Earlier this week we all had a meeting. After the meeting one of the older teachers there approached me and said:

You know, we have something really special here. Most other schools have a revolving door of instructors. Here we have good instructors that were here 20, 15, 10 years.

That doesn't feel very bad to me but it is ambiguous. Ideas?

It sounds like since there is low turnover there compared to other places, your being there 2-3 years isn't very long in their eyes. I would shrug it off and not worry too much about it.

I've been working at this school since fall 2012 and all year long, including summers. Today, one of my superiors asked me if this is my second or third semester. It's actually my seventh and she should know it since she is one of my direct superiors.

Based on your other threads, I think you are over-analyzing everything that happens at your job and getting really over-critical with yourself.

Regarding what happened with your superior, please bear in mind that some people are really bad with dates. Like me, for example. My new husband recently said that we just celebrated our fourth Christmas together. FOUR. Pretty simple number, isn't it?

I have a huge problem with the existence of time in my life and some events (like the ending of the relationship that brought me to Loveshack) still feels new and fresh in my head. And I have to look at my membership date to realize it happened in July of 2008! OVER SIX YEARS AGO! But for part of me, it still feels like yesterday.

So you think your superior should know and remember that you have been there seven years? She might not be one of those type of people for whom is Time is so Linear as to be acknowledged.

• Like 2
evanescentworld
Regarding what happened with your superior, please bear in mind that some people are really bad with dates. Like me, for example. My new husband recently said that we just celebrated our fourth Christmas together. FOUR. Pretty simple number, isn't it?

I have a huge problem with the existence of time in my life and some events (like the ending of the relationship that brought me to Loveshack) still feels new and fresh in my head. And I have to look at my membership date to realize it happened in July of 2008! OVER SIX YEARS AGO! But for part of me, it still feels like yesterday.

So you think your superior should know and remember that you have been there seven years? She might not be one of those type of people for whom is Time is so Linear as to be acknowledged.

Definitely not alone there, CarrieT; My H who has been assisting someone with an employment issue, mentioned that this action is nearly 4 years old.... the guy responded with -

"No, not that long, it was only 2011!"

"Yeah...." said hubby...."And what year is it now...?"

Cue for other guy to look a complete doofus...."Oh..... yeah.....you're right, i take your point...."

Been with my H 10 years..... can't believe it. Feels like 35...... :laugh:

She just isn't focused on you -- and IMO, that's a good thing. But I don't understand her "light at the end of the tunnel" comment, but I don't think it was a bad thing, maybe a comment on when are you taking a break.

• Like 1

IMO, as long as they call you by something close to your right name and your correct name and pay are on your paycheck, fuggetaboutit. The days of caring, personally involved employers are generally over, and that was a long time ago in the public sector. Heck, I was surprised when a couple of my dad's old state co-workers showed up at his funeral. That's how it goes. Work to live man, don't spend valuable brain time on what superiors and co-workers do.

• Like 1
evanescentworld
She just isn't focused on you -- and IMO, that's a good thing. But I don't understand her "light at the end of the tunnel" comment, but I don't think it was a bad thing, maybe a comment on when are you taking a break.

Oh, I do.

She means "goodness, after all this time, are you noticing any positive progress? Is it getting better?"

I think it's probably because she was actually surprised she had miscalculated the time-period, and felt you've earnt an endurance medal! :laugh:

• Like 1

Look, I've lost count how many times a supervisor and/or manager couldn't recall and/or know certain things about me...worst, when it's eval time, they want you to list your accomplishments....

Could they try any harder to make you think you don't matter?

That's one difference between managers, supervisors, and leaders. Leaders motivate cuz they actually (or at least give the impression) that you matter...managers and supervisors are just there to babysit and check blocks on paperwork...they don't care much about you, just the bottom line.

Don't take it personal.