People assume I'm sociable when I'm not

Intrepidcaribou

I'm very chatty at work and make sure that I am friendly to my coworkers. They are all nice people so it isn't hard. I work in government communications, so we're a chatty bunch. One of my coworkers the other day said I was a very "outgoing, sociable person" which took me by surprise. I am a 28 year old virgin who has never had a boyfriend and has no close friends and I always assumed, no social skills. I had no idea people thought of me like this. Now I'm totally embarrassed about my past.

You probably don't mind being in social settings as long as someone is paying you for your presence. I'm that way too.

• Like 1

No need to be embarrassed OP. You are picking up skills as you go along, everyone learns that way.

I'm like amay too, sociable at work because I get paid to be there and to participate. I don't want to know them outside office hours though. After 5.30pm ain't interested.

• Like 1

Well, now you know that all it takes to be social outside of work is to be chatty with people. So if you ever want friends outside of work or a boyfriend, now you know all you have to do is transfer your social skills to outside of work. I don't know why you hadn't developed these skills before, but I'm sure there's a reason. Now you have them and are comfortable being social, you should make a plan of action to go out and do hobbies and activities to meet people and start to have a social life.

It's really quite easy to be friendly to people, and you'd be surprised the same way when you try to apply your "work-mode" to "normal-life" mode. People will appreaciate it the same.

• Author
Intrepidcaribou

Except I'm friendly with people at, I'm not actually close to anyone outside my family and have never been. I find it really easy to talk to strangers and impossible to make friends because I'm so secretive.