Help with taking the GRE, please!

I have to take the GRE, has anybody any tips or recommendation how to score high? I think I´m kind of too slow in the analytical section.

Thanks for your help! :)

Depends on the field...Are you sure you don't have to take the GMAT? Take some classes or at least get a permis to have access to a library that has already solved tests.You can search the net for more tips... not the same as a good class,though.

I know they're usually expensive...I say "don't risk it!"and assure your success.

• Author
Originally posted by savethedrama4yrmama

I thought it was Graduate Record Examination.

But I could be wrong...

Yep, that one, I guess, I confused it. It´s the GRE General Test.

--Curly, I´m not going to take classes, as it´s on 11/19 and that test doesn´t seem to be worth it to spend too much money on anything. I have a book with some tests for practicing and I guess I should be fine till then, it´s not as if you have to learn something, but I was just curious if there might be some good ways to speed things a bit up.

If you are more of an independent person like me, I think getting your own book and working that way is tons better than paying money for a class.

Read about the different areas which commonly come up on the specific tests and figure out where your weaknesses are. Although a lot of stuff, especially the math, is largely high school level, don't assume you know it! It's amazing how much you forget (or never knew). Do lots and lots of practice problems....they'll speed you up, there's no substitute. They're not going to be able to surprise you, there are only so many types of problems they can throw at you.

Your book should come with some complete practice tests once you've worked through lots of practice problems....I would save those mostly for the last week. Do a couple trial complete test runthroughs, and work in between each practice test until you improve your score to the level you want.

This way, once the actual test comes you'll know you can hit your target score, and you'll be used to the test length, format,etc.

They had just switched to computers when I took it, that format can be a little weird. And they didn't have whatever the analytic writing section is....they had lots of analytical logic type problems.

Everyone's nervous beforehand, so don't think that you're going to have trouble based on that..it evens outs.

And make sure you remember your test scores as you walk out of the room (you can't write them down until you're out of the testing room (I almost forgot mine and would have had to wait weeks to see if I got the score I thought or 100 points lower....I couldn't remember for a sec).

Let me know if you have specific questions, you can really knock this test out of the park with some work

• Author

Hi BlueLP, I have the official book for practicing, the math section doesn´t strike me as difficult and I guess I can handle this with a bit of practice, it´s the analytical section that kind of worries me. I don´t finish all the questions on time, and when I practice without taking the time I´m still only at the 70 % something level....

I will have to take the computer-based test. My problem is I usually need paper or something to scribble to clear my thoughts in the analytical section. Do they hand you paper or is it really just the computer and me?

You should be able to have scrap paper, yeah :)

Is it the analytical writing or analytic problems that you have to do? I think the analytical problems were definitley my slowest.

• Author

Oh, I just got it "analytical writing" and "analytic problems". Actually I don´t know yet. I´ll have to take a look at the program..... As far as now I was just sorting through the book quickly. I tend to believe that I will probably have to do both.

I took a class on testing and we talked about the GRE's and the secret to passing it. My professor said she did excellent on the verbal part (or was it analytical part) of the GRE's ; not because she was smart.. She said that she researched who were the authors of the GRE's. She read the books that they read and when it came down to taking the test she was familiar with the questions.

If that's too much work to research, another professor told me that vocabulary is a big deal in the GRE's. She recommended to memorize 2 words each day. I believe there is a study guide for the GRE's that deal with the most common vocab words used in the GRE's. As for the math section, my professor said to just be good with high school math. You don't need to have taken calculus to pass the math section. I hope this helps a little. ;)

• Author

xxgnxx,

thanks for your answer :) I think I will not really concentrate on the verbal section as I´m not a native speaker and I will have to take another test anyway to prove my proficiency in English. Could you tell me what kind of books your teacher read? And what´s the outcome of her research on the questions?

Hey Kooky,

I'm in the same boat as you. Except I don't have a test date scheduled! I've got the book, flipped through it a while ago, and now have to pick it up again.

So, I don't have any advice. But I'll be reading the answers you get! I think to be successful, you need to review, review more, and become familiar with the common (type of) questions. It IS a standardized test...

Artifact

• Author

Hi Artifact,

wishing you good luck as well! :) I know that it´s just a standardized test and therefore I assume I won´t be that hard. I guess, I will read through the book and install the Powerprep software when I have time.

Kooky:

I used to teach standardized test prep for the leading company that teaches them in the US, so I think I can give you some good advice on this topic, that actually comes from real experience!

First, unless you are really behind or don't have the self-discipline, don't waste your money on the classes, except in the case of the MCAT. It is definitely worth it for that, as it is more of a knowledge based test than the others.

The key is practice, practice, practice. Buy every book published that had practice tests, and very importantly, buy ones that have CD-Rom tests so that you can take the practice tests on your computer. This is very crucial. You must practice the test just like you would take it. The computer will slow you down at first - it is a different experience - but once you have done a test or two with the computer software, you will get used to it.

Your analytic speed will increase as you take the practice tests. I would aim for doing at least one full practice test a day on the weekends, and at least one section of the test a day on weekdays. You must get into the mind-set of the test.

NEVER read the directions. You should know them by heart because you have taken so many practice tests. Reading the directions will only waste your precious time on the actual test.

Also, they will provide you with scrap paper. I suggest bringing ear plugs, unless you know they provide them for you. Also note that there will be 4 parts to the test usually, one being an experimental section, but you will not know which one it is.

Good luck!

one other thought about standardized tests and preparing for them....and a few other comments about applying to grad school.....

i don't teach the classes but work everyday with students that are applying to graduate schools. i've found, for most, what dakini says is absolutely true. for all, just the amount of practice can be extremely beneficial. i tell my students much what dakini says, that if if they're going to be prepping on their own to make sure that they periodically put themsleves in as "real" a test situation as possible. for the tests that are still paper and pencil sometimes students find this difficult, not impossible but difficult. for some tests, especially the LSAT which is still a paper / pencil test many have trouble completing the sections in the time given so for those students being able to simulate a test situation is curcial. some of the leading test prep organizations may offer test drives or diagnostics that will allow you to take a "sample" test. they may then try to sell you their services but you will at least have a base line to go from.

and again, you're right. for the students that lack self-discipline a course can be helpful. some of my other students find the course helpful becuase their lives are incredibly busy and having a class built into their schedules makes them less tempted to blow it off for something else. and in all honesty, sometimes the amount of money that they spend on the course can be enough of a motivator to attend the classes. :D

also think about how you did on the SATs/ACTs how much prep you did and what type of prep you did for that. for some, or many graduate schools, your grades and test scores can be some of the most important pieces of data but.... don't overlook the importance of the rest of your application. while there may be cases when an outstanding written personal statement/essay can get you in, a poorly written one will probably do you more damage.

if you're still in college your school may have a counselor or advisor who can help you pull together the strongest application possible and help you decide who to ask for recos., prep for any interviews and review resumes, if they are a part of the process. start with your career center on your campus or if you're already out of school, many offer services for their alumni as well. i review countless personal statements and resumes for grad applications every year, and i encourage everyone to have at least one other person review these documents for you. a counselor/advisor may be able to help you target appropriate programs and walk you through the application process in general. i also have several students and alumni every year that will set up weekly or monthly appts. to keep them on target with getting their applications completed.

good luck to all of you who are in the process of applying!!!!! :)

• Author

Hi izzybelle,

thanks for your long post! :) I´ve been practicing for a couple of days now and it´s improving, not fast as I want it to, but anyway, I´ll probably make it :)

I´ll keep you informed. When I have taken the test I will tell you all how good your advices were :p:)

kooky

• Author

I had my exam today.

Results:

Verbal section: 510 (crappy result, but I´m not American if I´m allowed to use this as an excuse...)

Quantitative section: 750 (damn highschool math...)

Analytical section: don´t have the results yet, but I´m prepared for the worst.... :sick:

I spent a good deal of the time preparing for something that wasn´t part of the exam anymore. They changed the analytical section and instead of answering questions you are required to write an essay. I have totally forgotten about that.... I´ve never been really good in writing essays, that kind of sucks.

Thanks everybody for your support! :)

I have a new challenge for you guys, can someone help me evaluate the results more or less? How much do grad schools usually expect for admission? What is good, what is bad? Where can I find it out?

kooky,

what type of grad schools are you looking at? some types may put more weight on them than others. i may be able to suggest some more specific resources depending on what types of programs you are looking at.

izzy

most grad schools have their expected scores online for viewing - and first language *does* make a difference. also, it's a lesser factor than appy essays, usually. one more thing - you know you can take it again and have the first scores negated, right? you also found all the friendly "how to take the GRE CDS"? i had a blast with those. i really actually did need a little animated man to make analytical section less threatening.

<restraining desire to brag about GRE scores after classes, CDs, various bull$hit tutors, a little lite speed, and persistence>

and really, your scores are good as is, but it depends on what you are going in for. again, better colleges understand the limits of standarized testing.

• Author
Originally posted by Mustard Bomb

most grad schools have their expected scores online for viewing - and first language *does* make a difference. also, it's a lesser factor than appy essays, usually. one more thing - you know you can take it again and have the first scores negated, right?

I thought it´s cumulative? I thought, too, I could get it deleted, but after reading the information today I discovered it´s not possible to hide your past failures :o

you also found all the friendly "how to take the GRE CDS"?

??? What´s this?

and really, your scores are good as is, but it depends on what you are going in for. again, better colleges understand the limits of standarized testing.

To be honest, I don´t really see the objective of this test.....

Well the analytical writing makes sense, but the rest is such kiddy stuff....

Kooky - first, congrats on your scores! Yippee!

Second, it matters a great deal what type of program you are applying to. Either way, though, 750 is great!!!

And the verbal is not really too bad. Plus, having been on admission committees, we definitely took into account English as Second Language factor. As long as your TOEFL score reflects proficiency, I don't think it will matter at all.

So again, to what degree program are you applying?