I believe as we get older our definition of a dream job changes

Now that I am in my late 30's and experiencing so many layoffs, My new definition of dream job is one that is ONGOING. lol

I am at the age now where I want to put myself in a position that offers stability and a livable wage which allows me to save money and enjoy life. I noticed that is the path that me and my friends have taken in the past 2 years because it's all about having a job that will continue to be there not something that will fold and you are back on the hunt for employment. So now I am old enough to know to get involved in jobs that will always be around not some "fantasy job" that we all dreamed about in college. So my dream job is a job that will offer opportunity for growth within, ongoing, and offers you the opportunity to plan for your future. I will find ways from this point on to be in jobs that are well connected to transportation, electricity, gas, heat, and government.

I refused to get caught in a DREAM JOB, im not a kid anymore. How bout you?

evanescentworld

I completely agree.

My 'dream Job' would be one that permits me to go out for a meal once a month without (a) having to save up for it, for 3 months, and (b) doesn't leave me feeling guilty for doing it.

I bought myself a good-quality foaming skin cleanser.

It's priced at just under £10.00.

I had a store gift voucher giving me £5.00 off any in-store skin-care product.

I also returned something I had bought which was faulty.

It meant I bought the good-quality foaming skin cleanser for £2.75.

I STILL felt guilty for buying it.

And I haven't eaten out (and I'm not talking plush-swish high-class establishment meal here - I'm talking local grill/bistro) for nearly 2 years.

I'm in my mid/late 20s and I have the kind of job I wanted in college (i.e. dream job). Right out of Uni. I purposely took a minimum wage job (at a toy store) over a decently paid job in somewhat related field, because I knew the dislike of my situation would push me forward and I'd keep pushing for the job I really wanted.

If I had to make the same choice now, I'd probably take the other job because I'd feel like the safer choice. However, I'm still in the "dream" phase in my life I think.. I can see how that changes as you get older though.

Might also depend on what your "fantasy/dream job" was in college.

• Author
I'm in my mid/late 20s and I have the kind of job I wanted in college (i.e. dream job). Right out of Uni. I purposely took a minimum wage job (at a toy store) over a decently paid job in somewhat related field, because I knew the dislike of my situation would push me forward and I'd keep pushing for the job I really wanted.

If I had to make the same choice now, I'd probably take the other job because I'd feel like the safer choice. However, I'm still in the "dream" phase in my life I think.. I can see how that changes as you get older though.

Might also depend on what your "fantasy/dream job" was in college.

College sells so many dreams and as a student you don't realize it's all about stability. But of course they are not supposed to tell you that because that's how college make money, by being in the "dream selling business" lol

I'd say I always wanted a job I enjoyed and provided me with a decent standard of living, rather than an impractical dream. My standard of living preferences has changed a little as I've aged, but not drastically.

• Author
I'd say I always wanted a job I enjoyed and provided me with a decent standard of living, rather than an impractical dream. My standard of living preferences has changed a little as I've aged, but not drastically.

My dream was to work at a TV station when I was in college and now all I hear is about stations making cuts

My dream was to work at a TV station when I was in college and now all I hear is about stations making cuts

Yeah I remember being younger and thinking jobs in media or journalism sounded cool, but I didn't like the idea of having to relocate or travel constantly. That didn't seem stable to me and I also like my privacy. Now I turn on the news and hear about journalists getting murdered just for doing their jobs, good grief!