Apparently, the way I dress, talk and act is not acceptable

I'm looking for a new job, as a manufacturing executive. I have several very good opportunities right now and am waiting for the offers to materialize.

At my most recent interview with Company X, I was told several times how it is a very casual place and everyone works very hard, but has a lot of fun. Fine. But here's my gripe:

* The hiring manager told me that if I was invited back for another round, that I should wear jeans. (I was wearing a blouse and skirt.) As I think about this, it is only somewhat less offensive than being told to wear a miniskirt and a tight sweater.

* One of the people who would be reporting to me said that the use of profanity was important, he hoped that I used profanity, and he used a fair amount while interviewing me. (f*ck, d*mn, the usual) Although I am familiar with these terms, I try to minimize my use of them, especially in the workplace.

* Several people mentioned that the company was great at helping employees achieve "life/work balance". As an example, they mentioned that a trick or treat/sports party had been held on Friday afternoon, and empoyees' children were welcome (obliged?) to attend. I'd much rather spend time with my own family and actual friends, rather than the coworkers I did not choose.

I have various reasons as to why I want to be professional in my appearance and behavior at work, and I won't get into them here. I do feel that changing my behavior to conform to what they are obviously requiring would involve painful sacrifice on my part. My gripe is the effrontery of a company that thinks it can micromanage my behavior in this way. My sincere question is: Can I get the job with the unspoken intention of continuing to be a professional instead of a ??????, or is that doomed to fail?

Subconsciously it will affect your perception of the folks you work with (you probably won't really respect them) and you will be perceived as someone who is 'stuck-up' and 'not a team player', which will hamper your networking at the company. Can you do the job? Most certainly. Will you be happy? Probably not. I guess it depends upon how desperate you are for a job right now.

I agree. Your attitude (while not wrong) is vastly different from what they want, and if YOU didn't hate everyone in a short amount of time they'd hate you. You don't want to be "that" employee-the one who's work ethic differs SO much that it's a miserable experience for all involved.

I'm sure you'll be able to find a place that you're more comfortable in, hold out for that.

Be yourself and not everyone else. You have already answered this question yourself. If you're complaning about it, then its obviously not for you. :)

• Author

Thank you all for helping me see the obvious...which really wasn't apparent when I posted.

I'll keep looking.

You know Soulmate, when it comes to interviews I always try to remember that as the potential employee, I'm not the only one whose qualifications and ability to "fit in" are being scrutinized. In some ways, we are also assessing the qualifications of our potential employer to decide whether or not the atmosphere is one that we would feel comfortable working in.

The manner in which this "laid back" environment was presented to you, already suggests that there is some lack of professionalism on the company's part. It's absolutely absurd to even suggest that you should lower your standards so that the 'good ol' boys' will feel more comfortable working around you. It almost seems as if there's some kind of intimidation on their part.

Quite frankly dear, you're overqualified for this position and I wouldn't be surprised at all if you received a letter soon stating just that.

If it were me, I'd FRAME it! ;):D

I agree with everyone else that this company sounds somewhat professionally sloppy. I can understand warning people at a manufacturing company that they will hear plenty of profanity, but I've never heard of advising someone to use profanity in a business enviroment! :D

• 1 month later...
  • Author

Just an update folks...shortly after the above interview, they let me know that they had hired someone with "more volume manufacturing experience". I was a little down, but now I have several other great opportunities, one possibly even for a VP position, and nobody else has given me offensive instructions about my clothing or language.

Nocturnalkitee
Originally posted by SoleMate

I have several other great opportunities, one possibly even for a VP position, .

The original company did you a favor by not hiring you. You were able to continue in your search for a better position.

I wish you the best. :D

In some ways, we are also assessing the qualifications of our potential employer to decide whether or not the atmosphere is one that we would feel comfortable working in.

Absolutely. I've been a few places I wished I hadn't. I now go to interviews to interview the interviewees. In my most recent interview, I did not get the feeling that the people interviewing me liked each other much or worked together as a team. They've got me on a list for upcoming jobs but I'll decline if offered one. I don't want to ever again be a part of a group of people I don't enjoy working with. SoleMate, think of it like the drunken boor at the party saying he'd not call someone like you - as if you'd want to be called by the likes of him anyway! You'll do better.

• 1 month later...
  • Author

I wanted you all to know

I took a job a few weeks ago, and I have not heard one profane word here yet. Nobody has mentioned my clothing. Whatever the problems may be, the people here are reasonably professional. I do wish the CEO hadn't singled me out to receive a gift plant that was meant for the whole company.