Can we honestly say it's a lot easier to get a job when you already have one?

I never agreed with that statement because dealing with the challenge of trying to take off to go to interviews. So let's say a person is looking for a new job and they had to use two sick days to go on two interviews. What happens when you don't get that job and have another interview with another company? Call out sick again?

And it's no guarantee that someone will be able to interview after work hours or before work hours so that's why I never understood why so many say it's easier to get a job when you already have one. Atleast someone who is unemployed has nothing but time to go on as many interviews as possible.

Maybe it's easier to get a INTERVIEW when you have another job but definitely not easier to get another job.

Agree or Disagree?

What do the statistics say?

I guess there you would find your answer.

I have always had a quicker hire if already employed vs. in between but then again those were jobs vs. career positions.

I've always found another job while having a job, except when I was a teenager.

Most companies realize you are already employed and will work with you regarding interviewing. Additionally, no reason to take an entire day off for an interview - you can state you have a doctors/dentist appt, you have something you need to do, etc. Why blow an entire day using leave for an hour interview?

• Author
I've always found another job while having a job, except when I was a teenager.

Most companies realize you are already employed and will work with you regarding interviewing. Additionally, no reason to take an entire day off for an interview - you can state you have a doctors/dentist appt, you have something you need to do, etc. Why blow an entire day using leave for an hour interview?

doesn't depend on the location of the interview? And what if it's a 2nd and 3rd interview? another dr.'s appt?

It is easier to get a job while already working only because employers view you as more marketable vs someone who has a gap of unemployment. I was always working part time while looking for other work, so if I couldn't squeeze in an interview before or after work, I would come in a little later or leave earlier saying I had an appointment. Just be careful not to do this more than once or twice every few weeks.

I guess one reason for that is that when you have a job, it tells the other guy that you are in demand.

But what's kinda funny I think is that it's the same when you're a freelancer. I'm a full-time freelances and it seems that whenever I work on a project, I get a billion requests and when I'm done with all there is to do, it seems as if it takes ages for someone to hire..

• Like 1

Agree with you Gotram about the freelance work thing. The work requests come all at once and then nothing, or trickle in sparsely here and there. It's why I gave up trying to be freelance full-time and only do it on a part-time basis now. Researching sources to freelance for is time consuming in general.

• Like 2
  • Author
I guess one reason for that is that when you have a job, it tells the other guy that you are in demand.

But what's kinda funny I think is that it's the same when you're a freelancer. I'm a full-time freelances and it seems that whenever I work on a project, I get a billion requests and when I'm done with all there is to do, it seems as if it takes ages for someone to hire..

But employers still call unemployed applicants for interviews

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
LisaSmith_1970

I neither agree or disagree. It all comes down to how much that employer likes you and what you have to offer to them. You can still be employed at your current job and still get turned down, plus you'll competing with other people.

I agree that it is easier to get a job when you already have one because of the reactions I've observed from potential employers. When I had a full time permanent job potential employers assumed my only reason for looking was to promote and that I was just being underutilized. When I was unemployed, temping, or permanent part time potential employers often assumed I was desperate or lacking in some way. I'm not guessing they felt this way they often blatantly stated it. When I explained how my choice to temp or be permanent part time was adding to my skills (it was!) while looking for full time permanent work sometimes they agreed and other times they remained hesitant.

As for getting time off for interviews? I always made it clear to potential employers that I was not interested in jeopardizing my current permanent job. If they couldn't work around my schedule then they weren't someone I wanted to work for. I never once called in sick for an interview. On a rare occasion I would arrange in advance to leave an hour early or come in an hour late, but that wasn't a problem for my current job. While temping the agency made it clear I could take off for interviews whenever I wanted and as often as I needed to, but I still treated these jobs just like permanent ones.