What are your "typical" days off?

The saying goes that most jobs are the standard 9 to 5, Monday to Friday. However, from my experience, I have never had a job like this. My days off would typically being during the weekdays, usually a Tuesday / Wednesday if I had two days. So I'm curious, how many people actually have Saturdays and Sundays off, and if you work those days, what days do you have off?

• Like 1

My days off are generally between jobs. That's a function of being self-employed and not having a bricks and mortar storefront with defined hours of operation. One day I could be working at 2 am and the next for a couple hours in the afternoon and have the next week off, at least from job commitments.

These days, except during season, I tend to veg on Saturdays and Sundays, or do projects around the house. Probably a function of getting older and not caring so much about making every last dollar out there.

Back in the distant past when I worked in oilfield services, our particular trade always had Saturdays and Sundays off. That was part union and part job-related. Of course, the oilfields themselves ran 24/7.

• Like 1

I'd say 9 to 5 (notice that's only 8hrs) Monday through Friday stopped being the standard ages ago when lunch breaks became mandatory (and unpaid for most fields), overtime laws changed, some industries became 24/7, many companies became nationwide or even international, and employees began to want flexibility due to commutes/childcare/aging parent care/school/pursuit of passions/etc.

Currently my full time job is 7-3pm Monday through Friday with a paid working lunch. My 2nd job is I pick my own hours Monday through Thursday and every once in awhile I choose to work Friday's. Prior to these jobs I often worked positions that started at 6 or 7am or I had night jobs that ended around 10 or 11pm, mostly to accommodate going to school or because the shift differential pay was better. Most jobs I've had didn't require weekends, but if they did I tried to work just Sunday.

• Like 1
Eternal Sunshine

I can come in whenever if I don't have meetings so I often start at 11am because I like to sleep in. While I technically get Saturdays and Sundays off, researchers don't really switch off. I answer work emails in the evenings and over weekends and do work if it's required. During grant time, I work 12+ hour days. I love my job so it never really feels like "work".

• Like 1

I work random days at the moment, but mostly weekends. It is not uncommon to have Monday to Friday off and then work Saturday and Sunday.

Working during the weekends is something I've been doing since I was... 21? Only had 2 "9-5" jobs, from when I was 18 until I was 21. After that it was shift work, theatre work (6 days a week, so always working at least one weekend day) or random freelance work.

• Like 1

Technically I work Monday through Friday but since our business is open 7 days a week I am on emails and on call every day. So it will vary but I will have a lighter load to full off Saturday and Sunday but something can blow up and then it is all hands on deck. :laugh:

• Like 1

I technically have Saturdays and Sundays off, though my job mostly relies on me getting stuff done on time instead of having fixed hours, so it doesn't really matter when I do it.

• Like 1

I don't work weekends and haven't for about 3-4 years. But I did work retail several years where my days off could be any day of the week. It was never a set schedule. I certainly do not miss that!

I have had 3 mon-Fri "9-5" jobs. That schedule was AWESOME! The hours I work now aren't that bad though. I have a 9:30-6 sometimes to 8pm and I'm off every other Sat.

• Like 1

I have never worked a Monday to Friday job. But, I've always been in the service industry. The days off have varied, but usually the weekends were worked.

Now, I am self-employed and I still work the weekends! Although I enjoy doing it more. That's going change soon though as Sundays will be completely work-free.

My husband, on the other hand, is an accountant and has always had a Monday to Friday job.

• Like 1
  • Author

Haha wow, so many people with different types of jobs :D I still remember when I was supervisor, there was no sold set days/hours since the business was 24/7. When we expanded, I remember having to work 12 hours a day, with only 1 day off every two weeks, god that was awful.

The pay was awesome though, since I was still in the hourly branch, got to take some vacation and go to vegas with all the extra money :cool:

• Like 1

I have off days only when I can afford it, which is rarely. This week due to holidays and having worked sick the past couple of weeks, I gave myself Christmas Day and the following day off. It's the first consecutive two days off I've had in months and months. Usually that only happens if work dries up, which is rare. I turned down a job yesterday to preserve having that day off and am working doubletime today to make up for it. One day it was going out to eat and doing Christmas and yesterday, it was cooking and staying in bed watching tv and wallowing my dogs, my favorite pastime short of a vacation.

• Like 1

I work a Monday to Friday, 9 - 6 corporate job. It's a high pressure place as well, and since we have offices all over the world, most people stay as late as 9pm for meetings, I'd wager to say there's a good amount of people who never leave on time. I made the decision to leave on time mostly every day of the week unless there's a late meeting that I can't avoid but I am rarely not gone by 7.

In the evenings I might meet up for drinks or dinner with friends or go to the gym. I actually wish I had some evening activities to get up to, but after the work day going home is what I most want to do. On the weekends, I use those days to go into town, grocery shop, do some cooking and stuff around the house and be social. I usually take one day a week for myself to be lazy, and that's usually a Sunday. On that day I like to stay in my pyjamas all day and just be totally vegged out :)

• Like 2

The schedule rotates between four full timers (me included). Right now I have Sunday's and Monday's off for six months. After that I will have Friday and Saturday's off. The facility is open 24 hours a day so we can't have Mon-Fri hours. We also rotate each week, one week working afternoons (2:30pm-10:30pm) then the next week days (7am-3pm). I am in social services industry.

The saying goes that most jobs are the standard 9 to 5, Monday to Friday. However, from my experience, I have never had a job like this. My days off would typically being during the weekdays, usually a Tuesday / Wednesday if I had two days. So I'm curious, how many people actually have Saturdays and Sundays off, and if you work those days, what days do you have off?

I have never had a job that wasn't Monday through Friday. I work 6:30 am - 3:00 pm.

I have Saturdays and Sundays off.

Edited by jellybean89