So I am or may be stuck in an odd position in a few days.

Company A - I was referred by a friend who thought I'd be perfect for the position. I got an interview really fast! Then had a 2nd with my referral only, and was told in a week or two they all will sit down as a team and go over all candidates, and they would contact me letting me know if I made it or not.

This is a good job because I get to work with a mentor, who I know from school. The hours are good, the culture seems like a place I'd work at, and the staff in this department are fun people. The downside is the travel time is a bit far from my place. I feel this would be a dream starting job for me

Company B - I applied and didn't hear for a month and had given up. They called me after a month and setup a preliminary phone interview. I rocked it and they wanted to get me in for an interview ASAP. I went for the interview, after beating me down with technical questions they took a walk in the hallway. Came back in the room and asked if I had other offers and when I could start.

The job is closer to home, but I have to work a rotational 24/7 shift. The culture seems alright, but I have not met any of my team members yet besides my manager. They are desperately looking for people qualified in my field and so I think that's why I was chosen. I don't know if there will be a huge future long term, and they want me to stick there for 2 years even though that will not be required.

Now my question

I have an interview with Company B in a few days. They said it is the last interview and final step with HR. So my guess is that they will see if I fit into the culture and possibly make an offer.

Company A may take another week or 2 to get back to me. In this case what should I do? Do I tell Company B if they make me an offer that I need a week to think it over?

Be honest, no you do not currently have an offer. Maybe you can extend the start date to when you think you know you will hear back from A. Say 2 weeks. If you don't hear from A by then, move forward to the final interview and hope you hear back from A first. If you do get offers from both, sit down and make a list of pros and cons to each.

• Author

All I said to them (Company B) was I had others that were interested in me. Which I think made them rush in terms of trying to sign me asap.

I might be able to extend the date.. though I told them before that I could work asap. I guess I could say I want the holidays off and start in a fresh month.

The problem is this weeks interview is probably the final one. Or at least that's what HR said. So my guess is this week Company B will make me an offer. Now it's a question of do I ask them I need a week to get back to them. That way I can buy Company A another week to hopefully get back to me. Or at the very least I can contact Company A and let them know that I have an offer from Company B and want to really be at their (Company A's) company. Hopefully that would speed things up.

I would ask what the time limit is on accepting the offer. Usually companies give between 72 hours to a week depending on when they need you to start.

• Like 1

don't ever discuss other interviews/offers with a company, it just gives a weird impression...they may assume you are fibbing to get a better offer from them etc. it's none of their business. if you are offered company B, you can accept. there is nothing wrong with then accepting from company A and quitting. you need to look out for yourself, this is business and they know that. trust me, they are looking out for themselves first and foremost so why don't you?

I wouldn't ask to push off a start date or interview date. take the job if offered and then quit if you need to. they'll have another candidate to offer the job to.

• Like 2

If you get an offer from B tell them you need to think it over. Immediately call your mentor & ask if A will be making an offer.

• Like 3
  • Author
If you get an offer from B tell them you need to think it over. Immediately call your mentor & ask if A will be making an offer.

I was thinking of this idea.. but I don't know if the mentor will have power to do much since he isn't the manager. I have a 2nd interview in a few days with one of the directors of the company. If he says I will know by the end of the week, then I don't need to say anything. However, if he says it could take 2 to 3 weeks, then maybe I could ask him instead? I think he makes the final decision, hence why I see him last or only in the 2nd interview.

don't ever discuss other interviews/offers with a company, it just gives a weird impression...they may assume you are fibbing to get a better offer from them etc. it's none of their business. if you are offered company B, you can accept. there is nothing wrong with then accepting from company A and quitting. you need to look out for yourself, this is business and they know that. trust me, they are looking out for themselves first and foremost so why don't you?

I wouldn't ask to push off a start date or interview date. take the job if offered and then quit if you need to. they'll have another candidate to offer the job to.

Yeah this was my 1st serious interview, so I wasn't sure how to react or what to say. I didn't expect them to ask me so soon. So I took the honest route.

I'm thinking I can accept from Company B, and buy time since it's the holidays now to make my start date in Jan say.. Jan 2. By then for sure Company A will have gotten back to me. So I can quit before the start date of Company B's job. So I don't really have to quit, as I haven't started working for them. I'd just be quitting or leaving the position before the start date.

I would ask what the time limit is on accepting the offer. Usually companies give between 72 hours to a week depending on when they need you to start.

If I ask that won't they think I'm not interested? I think at the most I would say is I need a week to go over it, and/or that I am willing to sign, but I can't work till the start of the new year. That buys me some times since my start date is late, and in that case I can still bail out since I wouldn't have started the job yet even though I accepted to take the spot. Also, there are about 4 positions open, so it's not like it hurts them if I leave, as they can replace me.

Something I always do at interviews is ask to see where I would be working and to ask to meet the team.

Often this has been a make or break viewing for me.

In fact I went against my gut instinct with one company after seeing where my desk was.

I lasted 5 months and one of the reasons I left was that the office was awful. This was by no means a major reason but it was an additional one.

• Like 2
  • Author
Something I always do at interviews is ask to see where I would be working and to ask to meet the team.

Often this has been a make or break viewing for me.

In fact I went against my gut instinct with one company after seeing where my desk was.

I lasted 5 months and one of the reasons I left was that the office was awful. This was by no means a major reason but it was an additional one.

Yeah I agree with you. I was thinking I should've asked this as well. But at Company A I could see all the desks and layout, and I actually liked it. Company B didn't show me, but I don't think I mind it though it's all open so everyone can see everyone which might be good or bad.

If I ask that won't they think I'm not interested? I think at the most I would say is I need a week to go over it, and/or that I am willing to sign, but I can't work till the start of the new year. That buys me some times since my start date is late, and in that case I can still bail out since I wouldn't have started the job yet even though I accepted to take the spot. Also, there are about 4 positions open, so it's not like it hurts them if I leave, as they can replace me.

I wouldn't ask that until they make the offer. I don't think it's a bad sign. At one of my previous positions, they automatically gave me a deadline to accept the offer in writing before the offer expired. I think it was 5-7 days.

• Author

So to update..

I went to Company B's 2nd interview. No job offers, it seems it was more of HR trying to see if I fit into the company culture. A lot of it was more behaviour related and what not. They said they would let me know probably after the holidays after the HR manager and the Technical manager discuss it over.

I have to say HR made the job sound terrible. In fact I really hope I don't get the job from Company B at all now. Seems like more of a job where people would bail out after a year. Very repetitive and boring and not as it was described in the job posting.

Now I am cheering for Company A (who's been my favorite since day 1) to take me! I got an interview tmrw with a Business Intelligence Manager? I assume he will also see if I in fact do it into the culture and what not. So I'll let you know how it goes, as I assume he will not be offering me a job right away. But most likely just getting to know me and making a decision possibly later. I suppose the referral from my mentor/friend has paid off so far.

• Like 1

I don't like the sound of Company B.. and they really are taking their time over the whole process.

All the best with Company A!

I hope you get it! :)

• Like 1
I don't like the sound of Company B.. and they really are taking their time over the whole process.

All the best with Company A!

I hope you get it! :)

Nothing wrong with taking their time. Unless it's a race for a hot candidate (senior, extremely experienced and valuable) rushing only leads to increased chance of hiring a bad fit for the company.

That said, Company B sounds like a bad fit for YOU. You seem to have zero interest in working for them or the role itself. Spare yourself (and them) the trouble and pursue the opportunity with Company A. If that doesn't pan out, there are more jobs out there... you don't have to settle.

• Like 1
  • Author
Nothing wrong with taking their time. Unless it's a race for a hot candidate (senior, extremely experienced and valuable) rushing only leads to increased chance of hiring a bad fit for the company.

That said, Company B sounds like a bad fit for YOU. You seem to have zero interest in working for them or the role itself. Spare yourself (and them) the trouble and pursue the opportunity with Company A. If that doesn't pan out, there are more jobs out there... you don't have to settle.

Well company B has never taken their time. They almost always got back to me within 1 to 2 days after each interview. Where as Company A has taken a lot longer, but since that job is top notch I expect they will take longer. Plus the manager for Company A likes to ask his staff for their opinions too.

Funny enough as I am typing this Company B just called and left me a message stating they want to discuss everything further. It hasn't even been 24 hours since my 2nd interview and they already have contacted me. My guess is it is a job offer and they will want to negotiate rather than give me a rejection letter.

That is what sort of scares me is that I feel Company B has been chasing me a lot. And, I feel it might be because no one really wants that job. They had 6 positions open for a long time and only 2 have been filled so far. I'm not trying to bad mouth them, but I have a odd feeling about working there, more so because the work I want feels like it won't be there or at least not in the short term of things.

Well company B has never taken their time. They almost always got back to me within 1 to 2 days after each interview. Where as Company A has taken a lot longer, but since that job is top notch I expect they will take longer. Plus the manager for Company A likes to ask his staff for their opinions too.

Funny enough as I am typing this Company B just called and left me a message stating they want to discuss everything further. It hasn't even been 24 hours since my 2nd interview and they already have contacted me. My guess is it is a job offer and they will want to negotiate rather than give me a rejection letter.

That is what sort of scares me is that I feel Company B has been chasing me a lot. And, I feel it might be because no one really wants that job. They had 6 positions open for a long time and only 2 have been filled so far. I'm not trying to bad mouth them, but I have a odd feeling about working there, more so because the work I want feels like it won't be there or at least not in the short term of things.

I suggest looking up the company on glassdoor to see reviews from current and previous employees. Research, research, research. I remember my brother took an out of state job with very high turnover and ended up having to move back 2 months later.

• Like 1
  • Author
I suggest looking up the company on glassdoor to see reviews from current and previous employees. Research, research, research. I remember my brother took an out of state job with very high turnover and ended up having to move back 2 months later.

yeah I did this last night after the 2nd interview after I got an uneasy feeling.. I was right. Glassdoor has some VERY bad reviews from employees. There are some good ones, but people posted saying they think it's fake ones made from top managers.

Seems like they have a high turn over rate. Though, I think they changed management up a bit since of late.

yeah I did this last night after the 2nd interview after I got an uneasy feeling.. I was right. Glassdoor has some VERY bad reviews from employees. There are some good ones, but people posted saying they think it's fake ones made from top managers.

Seems like they have a high turn over rate. Though, I think they changed management up a bit since of late.

Always trust your instinct!

Hope all goes well with A!

• Like 1
  • Author

Just wanted to update everyone.

So I went for the 2nd interview at Company A, afterwards the two managers discussed with each other. I did not expect this, as I thought they would let me go and tell me later. But, the managers agreed they wanted to hire me.

So I have officially been offered a formal job offer now from Company A!!

I was so excited, but held it in.. I felt terrible because I didn't even thank them. I just said "that's great with a smile". I guess I was trying to hold back my excitement till I got in the car and danced my way home.

Morale of the story, my friends referral paid off and gave me a huge edge. But my character and interview skills also went a long way too.

On a side note, Company B is going to call me today to make an offer. I thought I'd at least hear them out to see what they would've given me or offered.

But, overall this is an amazing way to start the new year soon and with the holidays coming along and a new chapter of my life.

Ironically, I was here on these forums 2 years ago super miserable and beat down from life. And, with some positive changes in my life I get to this point in life.

So for those that are struggling and hate life right now. Work hard, stay positive, be nice to others and NEVER give up! And, things WILL get better I promise. :)

Edited by LostOne1
  • Like 2
  • Author

More updates...

Company B made me an offer... it was such a terrible offer, I actually feel offended. They low balled me a lot to a point where I'd turn away and never look back. They also did not match or even come close to what Company A gave me.

So I'm glad it all worked out with Company A, as I plan to tell Company B that I am going to decline their offer and move on.

Lastly, shopping this time of year is nuts! I went to buy a few thank you cards and a few items as gifts for my friend who referred me. I hope he likes the nice gesture, as well as the rest of the staff.

I don't think I have anything else to say. I'm just going to enjoy the holidays and await for my first day at work at the start of this new year!

Best way to start off a whole new year!

Edited by LostOne1
  • Like 3