Been oriented unfairly

I honestly just got an amazing position at a company that i have dreamed to work for, for many years. I have excellent experience, but this company is very strict so the person training me has to fill out a bunch of paperwork while she orients me. I have been doing excellent got everything under control and practically on my own, however when she filled out my paperwork she put extremely below average scores and said to me "do not be discouraged i just cant put excellent because i will get in trouble since its new to you and your not supposed to know everything" ..i just do not want this to affect my job since i have been doing excellent and i really need this job and love my new job but the grading was honestly unfairly this is not all new to me i have experience and know the work. I feel so disappointed honestly i feel really bummed out, i fear what she will put for the upcoming weeks and how badly it will make me look when its not even true, i have been doing everything great and even working on my own and have handled everything properly i feel i am stuck i don't know what to do. And of course the person orienting me is one of those that have been with the company for ever the ancient ones so it is one of those that you should not be stepping on their toes, but i really fear what this will do to my overall evaluation.

i feel so upset i really want this job

down hearted,

You need to use this to your advantage.

Have a chat with the person who is training you and ask them to tell you in what areas they think you need to improve. Then work on those and ask again if you are doing OK. If they say "yes" and still mark you down, you need to ask what's going on.

It could be that the person training you feels threatened by your efficiency and has an ulterior motive for trying to keep you down. However, before you start thinking they are being devious, see if you can establish a repartee with them.

Good luck.

• Like 1

If she has been there forever and a day, then chances are her superiors know how she operates. She has likely harshly/unfairly graded other employees she has trained, as well. It is even possible that she was given the task of training in part because her superiors know how harsh she is, and so they don't have to worry about her liking and 'helping' someone ascend, since she clearly seems to be the total opposite in her approach. Chances are her superiors will take this into consideration, and may not even care about her opinion on those papers unless there is an actual incident in which a new employee screws something up. For all we know they just have her fill out those papers to let her feel important and powerful or something.

I worked in HR for a company and also very closely with their upper management team for several years before going into the medical field. While there will always be the occasional dimwitted, naive manager, most of them were well aware of how the lower-level managers/supervisors perceived and operated and knew when to take things with a grain of salt. Performance reviews were ultimately left up to the upper management team, like the final versions so to speak, and they were always far more focused o hard data and incidents (or lack thereof) some lower-level supervisor's arbitrary 3 out of 5 rating for something vague like, "Completes tasks in a timely manner?"

Upper management has way more important stuff to worry about than that. Ultimately they will often be thinking in terms of, "Did this employee do their job? Do they show up, and on time? Do they get stuff done? Do they do stuff correctly?" And as long as you're good in those areas, you'll be fine.

That is really unfair.

I hope you haven't signed the document (by signing you agree that it's correct).

I would be asking for a chat in confidence with HR about this.

They are there for the business but also HR is there for employees and if a confidential conversation is requested they can and will help you out with this.

Several years ago at my company we had a supervisor who was simply put a bully.

She employed me and from week one I thought she had some kind of problem with me personally.

After a while other staff opened up to me and made me aware that it was by no means just me.

Even our bosses were careful what they said to her as she would blow up.

She eventually left - well - was kinda squeezed out but this was after she had sent all of the management team and directors an email stating that they couldn't do their jobs and that she wanted one of their jobs.

Anyway, she left and then appraisal time came up. I asked for a copy of my last appraisal as I couldn't find it - which is odd for me as I always keep that kind of paperwork.

I got a copy and read her appraisal of me and it was very derogatory and basically said I was of no value to the company.

I hadn't seen it before. I hadn't signed it. Reading and signing is part of the whole appraisal process.

I complained to my Finance Director in my appraisal and he tore the previous appraisal up right there and then and said he wanted to interview me as if he knew nothing about me.

He was surprised at my previous experience as he had no idea of the previous levels I had worked at.

Following that appraisal he began delegating much more work and responsibility to me - all of which I love and am fully capable of.

If I hadn't said anything about that terrible appraisal I wouldn't have the role I have today. It's grown into something much more interesting, a challenge and something I am proud of.

Just recently I went to HR though - for a confidential chat. I am getting more and more work delegated to me and much as I am a forward planner the work levels are becoming increasingly difficult to manage.

HR are helping me out with this as to how I approach it - all in confidence but also I know I have support (in case it is needed) because I have made HR aware of what is going on.

Do the same thing - speak in confidence to HR about what is going on.

• Like 2

On the standard 1 -5 scale with 1 being poor / unacceptable & 5 being perfect, if you got a 3-4 even though you thought you were doing great, let it go. She's giving you room to improve & space to make a mistake once the training stops. If she gave you a 2 or 1, I would write a statement saying you disagree with the assessment but you better have the objective proof to back it up.

• Like 1