Can't believe this company only calls applicants who are employed

A coworker was telling me a company contacted him for a interview and I realized it was the company that I was sending resumes to during 3 different unemployment periods. Come to find out another coworker just started with that company and left last month. And now that same company is trying to interview someone else who works with me

So it appears they prefer to interview people who already have a job which makes no sense at all. For years I thought you only was able to get a job at that place was knowing someone on the inside. But come to find out all you have to be is employed lol

• Author
Its as common as bellybuttons on humans....

TFY

So messed up though but I guess it's better to steal someone from another place

SincereOnlineGuy

So it appears they prefer to interview people who already have a job which makes no sense at all.

What are you talking about?

This is commonplace all around.

While the range of U.S. unemployment tends to drift from 5% to 10%, the segment within that 5% who simply don't want to work, remains a near-constant, so why should potential employers risk those odds, when to target (and poach) other companies in their general field, for workers already proven in the industry, betters the odds of hiring a great employee? (and they even get to do so on their terms, without so many constrictions relating to hiring practices and the law)

Or perhaps you're one of those who believes that, even in good times, the unemployment rate is derived by assigning a coin to each person in every set of 20 people, and randomly selecting the first coin among them to land on "tails" to be, suddenly, unemployed.

Consider why the U.S. unemployment rate rarely falls below 4%...

• Like 3

I know. That completely sucks and is why people get stuck unemployed forever, but a whole lot of companies do that now. They teach that in college for the people becoming HR managers, too, I understand.

While I can see your point and frustration, who knows for sure. There are so many factors that come into play when choosing an applicant to interview. The sad truth is that employers prefer to hire those already employed than those not employed, regardless of circumstances. Don't read into it too much though.

• Like 1
  • Author
While I can see your point and frustration, who knows for sure. There are so many factors that come into play when choosing an applicant to interview. The sad truth is that employers prefer to hire those already employed than those not employed, regardless of circumstances. Don't read into it too much though.

Yeah my coworker said they called him right on his cell phone. I was like......."really?" I applied to that place 2 times while unemployed and never heard a thing

• Like 1
Eternal Sunshine
What are you talking about?

This is commonplace all around.

While the range of U.S. unemployment tends to drift from 5% to 10%, the segment within that 5% who simply don't want to work, remains a near-constant, so why should potential employers risk those odds, when to target (and poach) other companies in their general field, for workers already proven in the industry, betters the odds of hiring a great employee? (and they even get to do so on their terms, without so many constrictions relating to hiring practices and the law)

Or perhaps you're one of those who believes that, even in good times, the unemployment rate is derived by assigning a coin to each person in every set of 20 people, and randomly selecting the first coin among them to land on "tails" to be, suddenly, unemployed.

Consider why the U.S. unemployment rate rarely falls below 4%...

Exactly.

Also, people that are "made redundant" always complain how things were unfair, they were not treated right etc etc. Yet, we never hear employer's side of the story. The truth is that in majority of these cases, employees abuse sick days, do below bare minimum of their work expectations and so on.

In all my working years, I am yet to see a case of a person truly being dismissed unfairly. Not saying that it doesn't happen but it's a much smaller % than people think.

• Like 3