Disqualified for promotion; feeling slighted

I put in for a promotion and they disqualified me because I don't meet a time requirement. This time requirement would be met in 1 month and I believe they only disqualified me because I do my current job so well...

I feel totally slighted. I can appeal but it feels like asking an ex girlfriend to take you back -- and even if she does it won't feel the same.

I currently work 2 jobs because this one doesn't pay me enough to survive. I work super hard as a computer programmer and only bring home (take home after taxes, etc.) maybe $20,000/year working for the government...

My house needs work, my car sucks, and I am always piss broke. After bills I have maybe $100-200 to pay for food/gas/entertainment for 2 weeks.

I need to quit my second job due to health reasons (working 7 days a week is killing me). I'm going to be even more broke when this happens. I just don't know what to do.

I feel like I could get a better paying job, possibly much better paying, as a computer programmer. I'm just afraid to leave a job with pension and excellent health insurance.

The person who does get the job will be moving to my office and I can't stand him to begin with -- now I have to work with him. He is not friendly and a total dick on purpose. His wife is a head of the department which is a total conflict of interest. He also has said that he hates his job and puts no passion into his work whereas I love my job and have all kinds of passion.

A job that I currently enjoy is about to stress me out completely. I have no idea what I should do. This may be a bit of a rant but I feel totally unappreciated and don't make enough money for the job that I do.

Start (quietly) applying for other positions. You are being totally shafted on your salary. You could be making a ton more money as a programmer and it is extremely likely that you will also get good benefits in the private sector. The increase in salary should more than make up for the difference in benefits. And you're unhappy - and believe it or not, that's the most important thing.

Get out of there, and don't look back.