Troublesome employee in Workplace

I am currently working for a company where there is an rn that I work with daily. She is doing lets say a lack lustre job. There are always mistakes when she works almost consistently, so I have to constantly watch over her. I have been hiding this from my boss in order to protect her from getting in trouble. Today I was approached by someone who was monitoring our work and she let me know that this person's work was not acceptable. I had to then report it to my boss in the most diplomatic way possible. These were things I had noticed for a long time. My boss said that we cannot sort of have her not work on that project anymore and that we have to help her do the job. Her and my skills together since I have a strong eye for details. My boss said we could have her retrained, but its not going to change the way she does her job. So that I have to help her. I don't understand why she doesnt listen to me and we cant get someone better.

How long has she been there? She might need some re-training. It does happen. Maybe she didn't get enough training the first time around.

• Author

Two years...she's beem retraimed before...things just dont seem to be changing she keeps doing the same crap over and over.

Document. Document. Document.

Create a file. Keep her work product in it. Also keep a copy of the corrections you make.

Also ask your boss for suggestions on how to help this woman but point out you are asking because he's telling you to keep her on the team despite your better judgment. Make it clear you are a team player but make it equally clear that you do not want to be blamed for her mistakes.

• Like 2

This reminds me of someone I have to deal with at work.

She was given a project to manage and for the majority of this year (and only because I spotted a £60K error in our revenue) I have ended up project managing her while she manages the project.

She is very inaccurate and also likes to find ways to side step most of our procedures.

I had to speak up as my own work was suffering and too many other people just didn't understand things that she put onto our database.

As a result she has been taken off the big projects but she still always makes mistakes and doesn't stick to procedures. She doesn't stick to procedures because she doesn't want to, she constantly suggests other ways to do things so that she has less work to do and the result is the rest of us having a tonne of queries and having to do far more work in order to figure out what she has done.

I have pulled back as far as possible with it. She has been advised and guided by me, her supervisor and her team manager and she listens to none of us.

We have one project coming up that she will have to work on but her team manager is planning a meeting and he wants me there also to make sure that all of the usual procedures are recorded and the reasons why we need them adhered to recorded also.

The rest of her team each carry out all procedures required and she is the only one who doesn't. This project will be her last chance to get things right.

If you continue 'carrying' her then nothing is going to change. You need to speak up and let people know what is really going on.

• Like 2

I agree with what has already been said it's time to start looking after No1.

Keep a diary of what has been happening and document how you are picking up her lazy slack and how she is jeopardising the smooth running of the organisation.

Then schedule a meeting with your boss and arrange for a colleague and someone from HR to be there. Ask the boss if you will be paid any extra, as effectively you are doing both your job and part of hers.

IMO your boss will avoid dealing with this person as long as you keep smoothing things over. Managers are paid to manage, so it's time they started managing and not foisting problems onto other hard-working staff.

My boss said we could have her retrained, but its not going to change the way she does her job.
That is BS unless your boss is a mind-reader.

So that I have to help her.

No you don't, unless you are paid for supervisory duties. Does it say in your contract you have do other peoples' work? No, I didn't think so.

It isn't clear from your post if you are also an RN. If you are I would get your union involved with this.

In the meantime I would get your CV in order and start job-hunting and put your boss down as a reference. If they ask why you want to leave, say that you want to work somewhere where you have appropriate remuneration for your skills, including working in a supervisory capacity.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Thanks guys. It's just really difficult when you have had the same problems over and over with someone and when you speak to your boss they dont want to hear it because they dont want to be bothered. So...I am a leser trained study coordinator but somehow I am more detailed than a person who is a registered nurse. To me she seems to be a pne trick pony. Blood pressures is really all she can do. She is 65 amd being the nice person I didnt want to have to come down on her...but at this point ive had to. Its very frustrating and I do hope she stops work soon.