Micromanaged by a coworker

I had been out of the workforce for several years being home with my kids, and for the past few years, I have gone back to work part time as a staff substitute in our local schools. This month I'm a long-term sub working with disabled children.

This week I have noticed something that happens to me EVERY TIME I'm on a new job. There is always a woman, a coworker who micromanages and nitpicks every little thing I do. Any little mistake I make is chastised. I love working with children, but not with b****y coworkers! My actual bosses are the building principals, but I'm fine with them. In fact the principal asked me specifically to do this sub job for the next weeks because most do not want to care for disabled children, they want to teach.

It's always female coworkers, typically ones who are older than me. Ive never had men constantly correcting me and chiding me in the workplace. I have a quiet gentle manner and a love of teaching with kids and they're a joy, but ugh!

Are these actual mistakes that you are making, or do they just not like the way that you are doing things? If it's something small that's not even a real mistake, you could say something like "I know that's how you do things but I have my own way of doing things. This works well for me." or you could question them on it. Ask them why is it a problem?

Are these women in charge of you at all? If they aren't then you could just say, thanks for your ideas but I've been put in charge of this classroom so we're going to try doing things this way for now. If it doesn't work out then for sure I'll ask you for advice but for now I think it's going really well.

Edited by SpiralOut