Referrals from friends?

Has anyone here ever been refereed by a friend for a job?

If so what was the outcome or how did it go?

The reason I ask is because recently a friend contacted me stating there was a job opening for a position that would work under him. And, he wanted to refer me to his manager for the position. However, the company also publicly advertises the position so I would be up against other candidates.

I've never been referred before for a position, so I don't know how strong it makes me for getting the position. I have already done an interview and met the whole staff and manager. I was also interviewed very fast about 2 days after the job was made public. I know my friend is also very well respected at his work by his managers and staff. So, I wanted to know my chances roughly....

If you are friends, thank him profusely for thinking of you but don't even apply for a job where you will be subordinate to him at work. It will ruin your friendship, where you are equals.

• Like 1

I have referred friends and I have been referred to jobs myself. It really depends on the company and their hiring process. My brother helped me get my first job where he worked. He talked with the manager and got me in for an immediate interview this time of year, 9 years ago. I did have to follow up on my interview before I was hired and got my drug test. It was that easy.

I referred a friend to a previous job by putting in a good word for her when a position opened up in our company. My old boss gave her an interview and she was hired.

Some larger companies, however, may have a higher volume of applicants so a referral doesn't always equal getting hired. It does help though.

I do think working directly under your friend might be a conflict of interest though.

Edited by pink_sugar
  • Like 1

We have quite a few people employed at my place who were referred by other staff.

It all depends upon who is the right fit for the role - but obviously a recommendation from a well respected member of staff does help.

Some of the referrals who came for interviews were declined for the original role but then contacted again about a different role which they were more suited to so if you do get turned down there is no harm is asking if they would contact you if other roles that you could do came up.

We have also had people leave of their own accord and then return to the company years later.

To be fair I think my company is pretty much spot on with finding people who are a good fit for teams and the company as a whole.

All you can do is wait and see - good luck! :)

• Like 1

I think it's great that your friend referred you. That's how 80% of people get their jobs --- through social networking. It's the best way to get a job. If you have positive recommendations from people who know you personally, employers are far more likely to trust personal referrals than professional referrals I think. I know the three referrals personally, for a job I'm applying for this week. Good luck OP! I hope you get the job!!

• Like 1

at my last company they paid referral bonus'. $5k if your referral stayed 6 months. the thinking was that good people know good people. i got my job on referral as there was no advertised role.

so i have only had good experiences

• Like 1
at my last company they paid referral bonus'. $5k if your referral stayed 6 months. the thinking was that good people know good people. i got my job on referral as there was no advertised role.

so i have only had good experiences

Damn, $5k? At my last job, we only got a $500-1500 bonus.

• Author
If you are friends, thank him profusely for thinking of you but don't even apply for a job where you will be subordinate to him at work. It will ruin your friendship, where you are equals.

We are academic friends.. meaning we met in school and always had a working relationship only. We do not hang out outside as friends or anything. Also he is about 10 years older than me. So, I can't see why I wouldn't see him as someone above me. I see him more as a mentor, and that is what he wants too. Someone he can train and will follow in his foot steps.

• Author
I think it's great that your friend referred you. That's how 80% of people get their jobs --- through social networking. It's the best way to get a job. If you have positive recommendations from people who know you personally, employers are far more likely to trust personal referrals than professional referrals I think. I know the three referrals personally, for a job I'm applying for this week. Good luck OP! I hope you get the job!!

Thanks.

Yeah, my friend from school actually approached me directly. I had no idea the job would even be open publicly. But he contacted me and said he thought it would be the perfect fit for me. As he knew I was job hunting for the past few months.

I have never been referred or used a referral before, so it's all very new to me. I also hope I get the job, because it seems like such a rare and great opportunity. The jobs in my field especially for new grads is VERY hard to get and find.

We are academic friends.. meaning we met in school and always had a working relationship only. We do not hang out outside as friends or anything. Also he is about 10 years older than me. So, I can't see why I wouldn't see him as someone above me. I see him more as a mentor, and that is what he wants too. Someone he can train and will follow in his foot steps.

Then by all means thank him profusely for the job & do everything in your power to make a good impression.

I'll cross my fingers & send good thoughts your way.

I have gotten several jobs over the years through connections

BTW, the interaction you are describing is called Networking. It's an art but it's the best way in the world to move ahead in business. Think of the saying, it's not what you know, but who you know.

• Like 1
  • Author
Then by all means thank him profusely for the job & do everything in your power to make a good impression.

I'll cross my fingers & send good thoughts your way.

I have gotten several jobs over the years through connections

BTW, the interaction you are describing is called Networking. It's an art but it's the best way in the world to move ahead in business. Think of the saying, it's not what you know, but who you know.

Thanks, and yes networking! That's what I have been working on a lot by connecting with people in my industry.

I should know if I have the job in a week or 2, as they said they will get back to me then with an answer.

For me this is a dream starting job! So i'll cross my fingers too.

I do plan on getting a thank you card and a gift for my friend. I mean he went out of his way to help me. The least I can do is show my genuine appreciate even if I don't get the job. Either way, he will know that I appreciate that he stuck up for me and believed in me.

• Like 1

I would never accept a referral from a friend to work at his job, only to work at a company where he knows people on the inside

I have no interest in working with friends or family

I would never accept a referral from a friend to work at his job, only to work at a company where he knows people on the inside

This person is not the OP's social friend. The person is a business mentor.

• Like 2
  • Author

I can see from a family stand point for sure. It might make it difficult since it could affect your family too.

I wouldn't mind referring a friend if I knew them well enough, and knew they were worth putting my reputation on the line.

You also need to know that your friend can be SERIOUS about work. Some friends will socialize more than work.

In my case my friend and I only meet up when it's work or related to our field. And, in that case I think it works, because it's a work or professional friend that you have met or stayed in touch with over time.

• Like 1
  • Author
I have referred friends and I have been referred to jobs myself. It really depends on the company and their hiring process. My brother helped me get my first job where he worked. He talked with the manager and got me in for an immediate interview this time of year, 9 years ago. I did have to follow up on my interview before I was hired and got my drug test. It was that easy.

I referred a friend to a previous job by putting in a good word for her when a position opened up in our company. My old boss gave her an interview and she was hired.

Some larger companies, however, may have a higher volume of applicants so a referral doesn't always equal getting hired. It does help though.

I do think working directly under your friend might be a conflict of interest though.

Well just like you I got an immediate interview a week or two ago. It was literally super fast!

Then they said they would contact me after they interview the other candidates and let me know. I do know the manager especially took down A LOT of notes when I was being interviewed. I think it's to discuss later on when all of the team sit down and decide on who they all want and why.

How long did your follow up take? And did you get a vibe the 2nd time around to know if you had gotten the spot?

I personally feel like I have no idea where I stand with the team at the moment.

• Like 1

I followed up 2 weeks after the interview and then they had me come back for the drug test, so I pretty much knew I was hired. If I didn't follow up, I may have not gotten the job as the managers were busy during the holiday season.

• Like 1