Dream Job Opportunity but No References For It

How do you use references from one field of work, to get a job in a different field? I found a job to apply for that I did 9 years ago, but don't have references that can comment on my work performance from 9 years ago.

The job application requires 3 references -- not recommendations -- that can speak to the type of work this job requires. The problem is, the references I have now, can't comment on that type of work because I haven't done that type of work in 9 years.

How do I explain this in my job application about my references? They specifically wrote that they don't want recommendations, but just references.

How are references different than recommendations?

Meanwhile, I continue to apply for jobs in the state I want to relocate to in 6 months but no interviews yet.

Has anyone been able to use references (not recommendations) from one field of work, to get a job in a complete different field?

References don't need to be in the same field of work. Basically a reference is just a previous supervisor or coworker that will be contacted and asked questions about your general work ethic. I.E. (were you on time? did you get along well with others? etc.) whereas I think a recommendation is based more on the work you have done.

• Author

Thanks for responding Pink Sugar.

Here's exactly what they ask for:

names and contact information for at least three (3) professional references who can address your qualifications for this position (we do NOT accept letters of recommendation);

I did this same type of position 9 years ago but the people I worked with are no longer at the same organization. So how do I use my current references to address my qualifications for this new job, which have nothing to do with the job job's requirements?

An example: Someone who worked as a fireman became a teacher but wants to be a fireman again. The only job references they have are from the school where they teach, and the fire station where they worked in the past is newly staffed so no one can comment on their abilities as a fire fighter.

To clarify: I don't want to be a fire fighter. I Just used that as an example. :D

Rejected Rosebud

Just do your best, get good references from where you now work and send a brilliant cover letter detailing all you experience in what you used to do 9 years ago and how you have been keeping up with any changes in that field if you have been. Go for it, though a person with recent experience might beat you out you never know.

• Author

Thanks Rejected Rosebud for your feedback too. I do have great job references right. I just don't know how they can tie what I do now to the type of work I did 9 years ago. I do agree with you that it's likely a person with relevant references and recent work experience will beat me out. But I still want to try. I will kick myself if I don't at least try for this job, because it is a game changer for me as far as my life's direction. If I get this job, everything in my life would change for the better. If I hadn't been laid off from the same job nine years ago, I'd still be doing that same type of work. So for nine years I've been job hopping, miserable and then went to grad school.

Many skills cross over from one field of work to another. If your old employer no longer exists, then tell them they are now defunct, but that you are providing other references who can back up various skill sets. If your old employer does still exist, all they can do is talk to HR anyway. Most companies are advised for legal reasons not to give anything except how long you were there. If you know where anyone from the old company is, contact them and have them do it.

• Like 1
  • Author

Hi smg15 and preraph. Thanks both for your responses. See the thing is, 9 years ago I taught community college. I LOVED teaching but was laid off. Do you know how hard it is to get a community college teaching job when you don't have a masters?

At the time I was hired with a BA, but then the education director who hired me left his job and the new education director hired changed the hiring criteria for teachers because the school's accreditation changed.

Why didn't I run out to get my masters to keep my job, you may ask? Timing. I was in a horrific car accident about two years into teaching. That did not help matters at all.

Since I was already adjunct (part-time), the new education director just laid me off (I was having horrible headaches from the car accident and had to get surgery to remove windshield glass from both legs that had become embedded beneath the skin -- I was wearing shorts at the time the accident happened), along with other adjuncts who weren't half-way enrolled in an MA program in their content area.

In that 9 years since, I did spend 3 years in grad school to get my MA in my content area, plus I worked a few awful admin asst jobs via temp agencies and did some freelance writing. I can't change the past either. It is what it is.

Anyway, I really want to get back into teaching and see this adjunct opportunity as the way back. I'm just nervous that my admin asst references (which are good thankfully) can't translate to my teaching skills.

Yes, I went to grad school to get licensed, but my state's license test was changed (no longer the Praxis) and the new test's scores are too high, there's no study guides available (just online sample tests) and many grad students like myself are unable to pass that monster test (7 mini tests total: brutal I tell you, BRUTAL). Just the way it is unfortunately. I went to grad school after the Praxis was removed as the test used for pre-teacher candidates. So, again, a case of bad timing. Story of my life. Gawd.

So, using admin asst references to try to get an adjunct teaching job? Doable? How so?

I could contact some of my old professors (some were about to retire so I don't know if they have emeritus professor status, or aren't dead (!), but they never witnessed me teach lesson plans in class, just give oral presentations with a partner or alone in front of the class.

Hi smg15 and preraph. Thanks both for your responses. See the thing is, 9 years ago I taught community college. I LOVED teaching but was laid off. Do you know how hard it is to get a community college teaching job when you don't have a masters?

At the time I was hired with a BA, but then the education director who hired me left his job and the new education director hired changed the hiring criteria for teachers because the school's accreditation changed.

Why didn't I run out to get my masters to keep my job, you may ask? Timing. I was in a horrific car accident about two years into teaching. That did not help matters at all.

Since I was already adjunct (part-time), the new education director just laid me off (I was having horrible headaches from the car accident and had to get surgery to remove windshield glass from both legs that had become embedded beneath the skin -- I was wearing shorts at the time the accident happened), along with other adjuncts who weren't half-way enrolled in an MA program in their content area.

In that 9 years since, I did spend 3 years in grad school to get my MA in my content area, plus I worked a few awful admin asst jobs via temp agencies and did some freelance writing. I can't change the past either. It is what it is.

Anyway, I really want to get back into teaching and see this adjunct opportunity as the way back. I'm just nervous that my admin asst references (which are good thankfully) can't translate to my teaching skills.

Yes, I went to grad school to get licensed, but my state's license test was changed (no longer the Praxis) and the new test's scores are too high, there's no study guides available (just online sample tests) and many grad students like myself are unable to pass that monster test (7 mini tests total: brutal I tell you, BRUTAL). Just the way it is unfortunately. I went to grad school after the Praxis was removed as the test used for pre-teacher candidates. So, again, a case of bad timing. Story of my life. Gawd.

So, using admin asst references to try to get an adjunct teaching job? Doable? How so?

I could contact some of my old professors (some were about to retire so I don't know if they have emeritus professor status, or aren't dead (!), but they never witnessed me teach lesson plans in class, just give oral presentations with a partner or alone in front of the class.

Remember your references will be speaking of you as a person and what makes you qualified so just because it's someone not in your field doesn't mean it can't be a good choice. All of my reference I used last year were my previous supervisors and coworkers who worked with me in a different field and still was able to help me get the job.

• Author
Remember your references will be speaking of you as a person and what makes you qualified so just because it's someone not in your field doesn't mean it can't be a good choice. All of my reference I used last year were my previous supervisors and coworkers who worked with me in a different field and still was able to help me get the job.

Ok, so should I contact any of my professors from my grad program to ask them to act as a reference for me? Or just go by 3 admin references instead?

Ok, so should I contact any of my professors from my grad program to ask them to act as a reference for me? Or just go by 3 admin references instead?

I always went with people who had management type positions

• Author
I always went with people who had management type positions

What field did you used to work in, and then what new field do you work in?

I think I will contact my grad school professors and see if any would act as a reference, and then I can use 2 admin references b/c one is from a company president and the other is from a manager.

What field did you used to work in, and then what new field do you work in?

I think I will contact my grad school professors and see if any would act as a reference, and then I can use 2 admin references b/c one is from a company president and the other is from a manager.

I was in non profit and transitioned to state government

• Author

Thanks for that info smg15. I imagine the transition to state gov't wasn't too far off from the non-profit sector though, since both are designed to facilitate and help people. I'm just wracking my brain trying to figure out how to sell myself since it has been 9 years of being in a community ed classroom. Any classrooms I spent time in for 3 years in grad school were middle and high school. None of my teachers from my field experiences are in their teaching jobs anymore. I feel like I'm cursed. Seriously. They all retired after I finished my field experiences with them.

Thanks for that info smg15. I imagine the transition to state gov't wasn't too far off from the non-profit sector though, since both are designed to facilitate and help people. I'm just wracking my brain trying to figure out how to sell myself since it has been 9 years of being in a community ed classroom. Any classrooms I spent time in for 3 years in grad school were middle and high school. None of my teachers from my field experiences are in their teaching jobs anymore. I feel like I'm cursed. Seriously. They all retired after I finished my field experiences with them.

Yeah I defintely would not use anyone who is retired. So the ones who are admin asst would be the ideal choice

• Author
Yeah I defintely would not use anyone who is retired. So the ones who are admin asst would be the ideal choice

Yeah because it will have been 4 years so their opinion of my field experience teaching in their classroom may have slipped their mind.

DrReplyInRhymes

I may not be much help, but in my experiences where I've been hired,

References are a way to double check the skills you say you've acquired.

Your qualifications are not the same as the requirements for the position

As the skills you possess are what qualifies you for the requirements they have listed.

Professional references are coworkers and managers I think

the admin assis. is great, but a superior would be more in sync.

I also did catch you said you did a bit of freelance writing up there?

Maybe you could contact one of them to get them to share?

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks for your input DRIR! So I checked my grad program's website for some of my professors' contact info. NONE OF THEM are listed. Are they alive or dead? Only the shadow knows (and probably the human resources dept at my alma mater). So, strike one on any higher ed references.

So, looks like I will have to contact the company president, recruiter and a past freelance job editor to act as a reference for me. Fingers, eyes, legs, and Ghostbuster thingamajigger jetpack streams crossed. Ha!

In the spirit of that movie, "It's A Wonderful Life, I'd like to believe that "Everytime a bell rings, someone with a masters degree gets an adjunct teaching job!" (Ring bells, ring damn you!) :D

This Gotye song demonstrates how working in corporate America makes me feel...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEpfyBOdKxU

• Like 1