Timing Move & New Job

nomadic_butterfly

So I need some advice. I am at the moment looking to move back to the East Coast from LA but I am trying to figure out how to time things.

I know a lot of times it takes several months to even find anything, but I want to play it smart/safe. A part of me wants to start applying right now but EOY evals are coming up where every person who has been around for at least 6 months will get a raise (as per company policy) so I kind of want to time it so that it would be after the raise being in effect to negotiate the best salary possible for the next job.

NYC is a lot more expensive than LA in general so ideally would want to see a $6-10k bump up from the anticipated LA raise. I see some good job opening now and I am tempted to apply, but I don't want to short change myself if they ask in the application up front what is my current salary but then I don't want to miss the opportunity because sometimes it takes companies weeks to get back to you.

I also want to request a start date of 3-4 weeks after accepting an offer. On top of that, I have a 12day (5 work days) vacay coming up during Xmas and then a 10 day vacay abroad in February.

Should I just suck it up and wait until at least Mid-Jan to put myself out there? I might drive my car across country if need be, but then, I don't want to drive through places that are super snowy by myself during the winter time. Shipping the car is a bit pricey and I have a Prius so it would be very economical to drive and then I won't have to ship as much. Help!!! I am so ready to move on.

Considering the amount of time off you want, I'd wait until after the holidays to start applying. Plus a lot of recruiters are probably taking vacation this time of year anyways, so I would wait. I don't think it will go over well if you have a few weeks of planned time off in the very near future.