Getting Second Job

I had a thread under Self Improvement category and this is a follow-up. I think it is more suitable here.

Anyway, I have some questions which i have mixed feelings about and couldn't really put into words. What would entice you to get a second job (part-time/freelance) on top of your main? To begin with I was only looking for fun jobs such as theme park operator. But as what my friend who analyzed for me, it is more worthwhile to find a taxing job that pays really well for part-time.

The area I am staying has more of a stereotyped culture. Housekeeping jobs are reserved only more mature candidate aged 40 and above. I am amazed, though admittedly tempted, by their hourly pay. There's a few over-the-counter positions but I am wary of meeting familiar faces. I'll be shy if they spot me (and possibly laugh at me?) in the area.

• Like 1

The reason I've gotten part-time/freelance jobs on top of my main job is usually because I need the extra money as my main job is part time. If I am working full time, I usually do not have the time for freelance work.

The need for additional money is the only reason I'd take on a second job.

I'm not one of those people who love to work. I work to live, not the other way around. That said, I'm not afraid of work and if I needed the money, I'd take a second, part time job.

My GF does this. Works full time during the day, then 3-4 nights and weekends at a big box. She's helping put her daughter thru college. Still, it's taking a toll on her (not on us as I don't mind) and she's running herself into the ground.

You do what you have to do however, even taking on a second job.

• Author

All I wanted is more savings. If I could work like a robot, or clone a few "me", goodness I'll be rich! :bunny:

That being said, how much do you think a part-time job is worth the time? I devised a golden rule - it should pay at least half of your main's hourly salary - but I am not sure if it is practical. What do you think?

youdunsay, one of the main reasons to get a 2nd job is when your 1st job doesn't make ends meet for you; that is, you can't cover your rent, bills, food, and transportation costs.

College students and people looking for full-time work tend to have a couple of part-time jobs to help them make ends meet.

Before I got my full-time job after grad school, I joined multiple employment agencies so that I could constantly be working. But if you only want the 2nd job so that you can use that income as savings that you won't spend, then try consulting work because minimum wage jobs won't help you save any money.

Sad that the federal minimum wage is $7.25. No one can live on that hourly wage. America isn't the land of the free anymore. It's the land of the poor.

• Like 1

The primary reason I've taken a 2nd job has been because I needed the money and this helped me keep my head above water. I agree that 2nd jobs that pay minimum wage aren't ideal because often the cost of transportation and the time investment pretty much negate any boost in your income.

Currently I have a 2nd job that pays over minimum wage, has a short commute, and the hours are very flexible. As an added bonus it isn't physically challenging or emotionally draining. I started it just before landing a really good full time job, but have decided to keep it in order to get ahead financially for once.

• Like 1