About to be unemployed again..

My employer is letting me work two days this week, and then I am gone. I've been getting prepared for hell. This is taking me back to the four months I was unemployed when I graduated from college.

I really don't know if I'll be able to cope this time. My car is, most likely, going to be repo'd, and that is the only thing I really have, besides my cell phone.

I felt like I was starting to make improvements in my life, and I definitely was starting to feel more confident around people. I know after a few months, plus, of unemployment, I'll be starting all over again.

From having this long weekend, I'm already starting to feel that depression coming on. I have been trying to read something that will help detach me from reality, to ease the pain, but I'm having a hard time putting it into practice.

I'd really rather not live anymore than to be unemployed lol. Seems harsh, but having all that time on my hands is torture. Plus, I just find it super odd to see people out enjoying life, because enjoyment is so foreign to me. I often ask myself how people pull it off?

Anyways, has anyone out there suffered long term unemployment, and if so, what are some ways you coped?

It's going to be a long winter!

What field are you in?

I don't believe in trying to detach from reality to escape a problem when it's something that lies within your grasp to solve. Rather than trying to read and escape, why not use the long weekend to put 100% of your effort into finding a new job? You might get one sooner than you expect, especially if you are willing to work at any type of job or move for it.

• Author
What field are you in?

I don't believe in trying to detach from reality to escape a problem when it's something that lies within your grasp to solve. Rather than trying to read and escape, why not use the long weekend to put 100% of your effort into finding a new job? You might get one sooner than you expect, especially if you are willing to work at any type of job or move for it.

I was doing real estate, specifically new home sales. In new homes you get a base salary. I don't have enough savings to do 100% commission. If I was to do re-sale, I would only be able to do it part time, and need a full time job for expenses.

As for looking for a new job, I have been submitting resumes, endlessly, for the last 3 weeks.

It's interesting, I had a colleague that put an ad on craigslist for someone to hold a sign on the side of the road (for 5 hours a day over the weekend), for advertisement, and we got a never ending list of people willing to fill the position. He was quite shocked at the volume of replies, and attributed to how bad the economy was.

I was reciting prayers in the back of my head for the rest of the day lol.

Even holding the sign on the side of the road is a competitive position.

The best thing to do is get back up on the horsey. You have been submitting resumes, great. Keep doing that. In the meantime, does your area have any kind of employment/job resource centers? If there are job conferences, resume classes, etc. you can attend then do so.

Do not let the three weeks thing discourage you.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

So far, I've went on about 4-5 interviews; got rejected for each one thus far :)

I think the natural thing is to question yourself, and think that "you're not good enough". All of that kind of thinking is non-sense. I know I am good enough. It is most likely the people that are interviewing me, or some over qualified person looking to work for less than what they are worth. Plus, a great deal of luck is involved in the interview process.

So, my layoff started last Friday. It's been a week already! Some days have been rough, other days not so much. I have so many books and textbooks I need to read, so being unemployed is kind of cool. I now have the time to do the things I want.

It's going to be interesting to see how long this lasts....

I am so sorry to hear that, OP. :( My husband has dealt with long periods of unemployment and thankfully, when we relocated, he's been on several interviews and was able to find another job quickly when his current job slowed down drastically. We lived in an area that was over saturated with overqualified people and my husband had a very difficult time finding new employment where we used to live. It could be your location as well...either over saturated or there isn't as much of a need in your area for your profession. I lost my job right before Christmas last year, so I know how you feel. I lost my apartment as I couldn't afford it without a job and I had to live with family after being on my own for 6.5 years. Thankfully, I was employed 3 months later...however I was laid off from that job in August, but thankfully I had just found another job, so I wasn't completely unemployed and it opened up more doors at my current job. Stay strong, you'll get through this. So sorry to hear about your car...are you able to stay on your own though? Do you have any savings?

Edited by pink_sugar
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...