question on obnoxious co-intern

This may be a silly question but I don't have much knowledge of professional matters.

Two days a week I intern at a casting office. The people there are pretty nice and seem to like me with one exception. There's another intern who has been there two months longer than I and works more days a week so she's more knowledgeable of the office. One of our days overlap. At first I tried to give her the benefit of the doubt but at this point it's become clear that she's just a bitch. I've interned a few places and have always gotten along with other interns, except for her. She is constantly trying to undermine me (loudly pointing out "mistakes" that are often her fault or nonexistent according to the assistant), she talks down to me and she throws a hissy fit if anybody sits at "her" desk, the only desk with a fully functioning computer. So on days when we work together I am relegated to the non-functional computer.

Unfortunately, the casting assistant/supervisor enables this intern because they've become BFFs (and were by the time I started). I'm pretty sure this intern is just trying to use the assistant for her connections. The casting assistant is very young (23) and doesn't seem to understand professional boundaries. She is actually a nice person, but her friendship with the other intern is a little inappropriate. For example, when they are working together they will both completely ignore me and gossip with each other all day. Well, the assistant tries to include me some in the conversation but the other intern flat out ignores me and will constantly talk about parties she's inviting the assistant to in front of me.

Anyway, the assistant seems almost afraid of this intern. For example, the assistant told me on one of my first days to move from the desk where I sat down to the one with the non-functioning computer because "OTHER INTERN is very possessive of that desk." No other intern gets this privilege.

I know the casting director also seems to favor her, probably because the assistant does.

My skin crawls whenever I have to work with this girl, especially because she has a sort of unassuming facade that makes her bitchiness all the ickier.

So getting to my question.

When I finish this internship in a couple of months, I will finally feel prepared to apply to paying positions. Not at this office (they don't have any openings) but elsewhere. There aren't many jobs in casting and no doubt this girl will be applying to the same jobs.

I know that the casting assistant and casting director will give me a good recommendation and reference. My concern is that when this girl and I apply to the same job that will create a conflict for them. Let's say I ask the assistant if she can give the office I'm applying to a call, putting in a good word for me (which I'm sure she would be happy to do). If the hiring manager notices the other intern and I are both applying won't she ask the assistant which of us she prefers (in a tactful way)? Given that this other intern is BFFs with the assistant, of course she will put her on top. Is this going to be a problem? Does it mean I shouldn't ask for a reference from this office or am I being paranoid?

You aren't being paranoid but it is something that is entirely out of your control so worrying about it will do you know good.

Start establishing other references so when/if you go for the same job, you will be able to show yourself in a different light with more references than this other person.

• Like 3

I'd get as much face time as possible with the higher ups.

Is this an internship for credit or just something you are going for the experience?

If you are getting credit, talk to your advisor. That person may have some suggestions or may be able to help you, but not the other intern, with getting a paid job.

• Author

No, the internship is for experience and professional advancement, not credit. I'm long out of school. Unfortunately there are no "higher ups." It's a tiny office with two paid employees. The assistants boss is the casting director, who is a nice but spacey woman in her seventies. I don't think it would be productive for me to turn to her as I doubt she has any clue what this intern is really like. Would it be a bad idea for me to speak to her assistant who is friends with the intern but also my supervisor? The assistant is very fair. I can't decide.

sounds as though you are forecasting a scenario that is unlikely to flourish in the way you project. So much of fortitude comes when we stop planning for the negative and concentrate on the real assets. Personally this other intern will some day be called to the carpet for undermining co workers. just hang tight and be true to your values. have you ever noticed in the dog world the pack leader turns his back to the others? its a way to show which way to go and lead. be that pack leader and turn yourself into the proper direction that others can follow. these other characters will soon see you are more rezealiant. best to you.

• Like 1
No, the internship is for experience and professional advancement, not credit. I'm long out of school. Unfortunately there are no "higher ups." It's a tiny office with two paid employees. The assistants boss is the casting director, who is a nice but spacey woman in her seventies. I don't think it would be productive for me to turn to her as I doubt she has any clue what this intern is really like. Would it be a bad idea for me to speak to her assistant who is friends with the intern but also my supervisor? The assistant is very fair. I can't decide.

Talk to her about what?

The other intern's aggressiveness?

No, don't do that. They're chummy and there's a good chance it will backfire.

THEN, you can legitimately worry about having an enemy in the same professional circle.

You have to suck this one up, T.

It's short-term and not worth going to war over.

• Like 3
Eternal Sunshine

Talking to a superior about not getting along with a co-worker is almost always a bad idea. You are marking yourself as a problem employee, especially in a short term gig. I would just tune them out and get on with work.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

So I ended up talking to my supervisor. It's a long story but I felt strongly that she would understand.

I was nervous as hell but I had a hellish day with this other intern so I felt I had to speak up. I broached it as gently as possible. She completely understood. She told me that even though that girl is her friend, she recognizes she is incredibly arrogant and difficult to work with in the office, that she considers herself better than other people, and that the other interns have also complained about working with her. She said that she has been distant from this girl lately because she's fed up with her behavior. She also said don't worry about that girl because she's the only one I need to impress and she will give me a stellar recommendation. She also said the casting director really likes me (yay!). :) With anybody else the confrontation might have been disastrous but I had a feeling she would understand since she's generally pretty fair. I've also listened to her vent about her dating life many times, so it was sort of returning the favor.

Hearing that it's not just me alleviates some of my anxiety. I always doubt myself when I think somebody is treating me badly and wonder if I'm crazy but I usually turn out to be right...digging a little I find they have a track record of bad behavior and alienating people. I should trust my instincts more often and not internalize the treatment, especially considering I'm often too tolerant of bad behavior and it takes a lot for me to complain. That casting director last spring also turned out to have a terrible reputation in the fashion world which I discovered after meeting other people who had worked for her over the summer and fall.

Edited by tuxedo cat
  • Like 1