Bossy Aggressive Coworker

I’m having an issue with a coworker and I don’t know what to do about it.

About two months ago I was offered a paid position on a cool project that I have volunteered on in the past. I was extremely excited about the offer, and accepted immediately. For the last couple of weeks I have been working closely with another person. We should be working more independently in the near future.

This project is in the field I have been working in for the last several years. While there are aspects of the job that are new and exciting, there are other things that I am very experienced with. Personality-wise, I am introverted and quiet. I am detail-oriented and like to be prepared for the day/work ahead. We have a ton of equipment and I’ve been making sure we have what we need for the day.

Like me, my coworker had volunteered on this project in the past, but beyond that, he does not have much experience in this field. Personality-wise, he is outgoing, enthusiastic, and charismatic. He is almost aggressive in his enthusiasm.

The problem that has developed is that my coworker has begun to treat me like I’m his subordinate and he is my supervisor (neither of us was hired to supervise the other, we have the same job title and duties). He’s been telling me what to do, including in front of our boss, which is mortifying to me. He doesn’t listen to my suggestions. We’ll get to a worksite to set up equipment, and he will grab stuff and take off, without consulting me or asking my opinion on our set up. I think he wants to show our boss that he’s capable and a “go-getter”.

Meanwhile, I’m feeling stepped on, stupid, and I don’t know what to say when he starts bossing me around. I was embarrassed recently when my boss mentioned that he noticed how different we are, that I’m ‘quiet’ and my coworker is ‘enthusiastic’, and asked if we have had any conflicts. While my coworker has made me upset, I have not snapped at him.

Instead of enjoying my new job, I have been feeling stressed out and sick. I obviously need to be more assertive with my coworker. How do I stand my ground without causing problems with our work relationship, and especially while around my boss?

Thank you for any advice!

Talk to your boss about it. Tell him the guy is acting like he's in charge of you and "not working as a team." That always gets them. Tell him you need more teamwork and coordination, not someone who has "gone rogue."