life gets in the way

Hello,

So I finally discovered why I never managed to get things done on time: something urgent comes up and stresses me out JUST when I have a deadline! I feel so cursed. Right now, I have a very tight deadline and a friend is facing some major issues and we spent the day working out what to do with her situation. I put my work aside, and now I am stressing out because my deadline is tomorrow!

This happens all the time: before, I would get into a massive fight with my family at times when I had to submit work, then at other times, I had to deal with another issue that would come up when I least wanted it!!!

I am so angry! Why do things like this happen to me JUST when I don't need them? I can't turn my back on my friends, nor can I ignore other important issues (i am right now helping organize an event in 2 weeks' time, and making a complaint about something....)

How can I cope when important things appear out of nowhere when I have a deadline, but I cannot ignore them either?

Thank you

During work hours, your focus needs to be work - the job you are being paid to do. It seems like you have an issue with managing priorities. Sometimes, friends have to wait because ultimately, they aren't going to pay your bills nor ensure you have a roof over your head. Unless it is an urgent situation (as in death or abuse), while at work - you are expected to do your job.

Do you keep a to-do list for what you need to get done each day? Do you use a planner or calendar to help keep yourself organized?

There are a ton of good books out there about managing multiple priorities and time management. My advice is to do some reading and see what solutions you can find.

• Like 3
Eternal Sunshine

You have to realize that life gets in a way of everyone. Other poster offered good advice.

Also something to keep in mind, don't tell your bosses or superiors that you can't get something done because of (insert dramatic thing that just happened in your life). All they will hear are excuses and in all honesty they don't care and are likely dealing with worse. All they want you to do is do the job you are payed to do. Personal lives are for after hours.

• Like 2

I hear you. I've had similar issues the past few years. A lot of my stresses and money problems would distract me from work. I think your focus needs to be getting your life to stabilize a bit so your home problems aren't a constant issue distracting you from work. You also need to try to immerse yourself in your work.