Networking and client development for introverts

I run my own interior design business but I am absolutely terrible at networking and client development. My business is stagnant and I'm considering closing up shop but feel like I just can't give up. I'm looking for any tips or suggestions for connecting with potential clients. Once I'm comfortable, I'm confident and my previous and current client relationships have been fantastic. But it's that initial introduction that I dread. Cold calls are absolutely not an option. Any thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

hook up with contractors and firms that do the buildouts and don't limit yourself to the general public.. go to construction firms that do larger scale projects such as high rise office buildouts, hospitals.. etc etc ..

Every buildout requires an interior designer, small or large

• Like 2
  • Author
and why are cold calls not an option.. the first contact with any prospective client will be a cold call.

Them cold calling me is not an issue. Me cold calling them is a whole other story...I have major phone phobia (I have been know to take over an hour to muster up the courage to call my best friend).

• Like 1
Them cold calling me is not an issue. Me cold calling them is a whole other story...I have major phone phobia (I have been know to take over an hour to muster up the courage to call my best friend).

I hear you. I hate talking on the phone myself.

You need practice. Once you become more comfortable networking, you will be more confident.

Before you close up shop consult the following organizations near you:

SBA

SBDC

SCORE

NAWBO

local Chamber of Commerce

any organization that supports your industry

All will have free to low cost events where you can learn the art of personal marketing / networking & become more confident in it. I used to teach a seminar on the subject where the 1st class was I literally taught women how to shake hands because many women don't know how. We had practice sessions on how to introduce yourself, workshops on perfecting your elevator pitch (5 - 30 seconds); how to ask for business; how to follow up etc.

Stay away from the MeetUp groups until you get better at this. Those groups assume you know how to network & then turn your loose to do it. You are looking for education on how to become more skilled at the art before you are forced to go out & do it.

In the short run, look into partnering with a like business who can give you referrals, for example a local commercial Realtor who can recommend your services after s/he sells somebody a new space.

UpwardForward

I've done door to door in commercial areas, as well as residential.

Just left my advertising materials at their door in the residential. And presented my advertising materials with a brief presentation at the businesses, if it appeared they weren't occupied.

Eventually got a few good clients.

Surprisingly, it seemed after I did some soliciting, the phone would start ringing from others.

An iron man left a little slip of paper with his gate designs on my porch. I was interested, kept it. And a few years later I hired him for my gate and extensions. He turned out to be very good and competitive.

---------------

Can I mention something (that I would never suggest), but that happened a few weeks ago, that I thought was Hillarious!!

There was this small plastic bag on my driveway, with contents in it. In reaching down to pick it up and to peak, before trashing .. I noticed within the bag was a business card ... with little rocks/stones in it.

Apparently this Housekeeping Service had chosen to do walk/or drive-bys and threw the little (weighted) bags on driveways - to save steps? :laugh:

UpwardForward

Have brochures with pictures printed up. Distribute them.

Most people don't want to talk. Just show them your potential and for their future consideration.