WHERE are the jobs?!

I dont know what's going on with our economy, and I still have no idea who I want to vote for-what makes me mad, is that there are NO jobs...ANYWHERE. Im a full time student in college, looking for a part time job-and Im telling you...there's no jobs anywhere...I wish things could go back to when Clinton was in office, at least we could get jobs then, and the budget was balanced from what I hear. Now because all of the jobs are going overseas...its horrible, not only am I competing with everyone else my age, im competing with everyone and their mamma - literally- for the same jobs-because companies are laying off like crazy, and

I'm sick of that answer "we're always taking applications" when I ask if a place is hiring...its like, cant you just come out and say you're not hiring...I'd have a bit more respect for you then maybe. Im so frustrated...

Whether you want to unload trucks, pump gas, work in some type of office environment, or get involved in retail, job offerings seem pretty slim these days. I must have handed in three applications each day for four months before I finally found my job. The only reason I got hired in the first place is because I know my boss, and happened to ask the right question at the right time.

I am not sure why, but for some reason, it feels like jobs that seem 'entry level' to me are almost impossible to get right now. In my area, if a person does not have a degree of some sort, he would be lucky to make $7.00 an hour to start out with, even if he worked full time.

I know how you feel. I live in South Texas and have been at my job for 2 years. I have 5 years experience as a secretary and I'm making $7.00/ hour and that's because they just gave me a .50 raise 4 months ago. It's so sad.

Originally posted by g_tabatha

I know how you feel. I live in South Texas and have been at my job for 2 years. I have 5 years experience as a secretary and I'm making $7.00/ hour and that's because they just gave me a .50 raise 4 months ago. It's so sad.

OMG that sucks for you. It must be hard.

I think it all depends on where you live. I work at a law firm at the moment as a legal assistant, when I first started working here I had zero experience and they started me off with about 10.00 bucks an hour or so and then they made it salary. There are many jobs out here.

I am with Naive.. There are plenty of jobs here I can't find anybody to work! and almost everything starts at $10.00 an hour plus it's pretty cheap to live in Florida... I wish you guys lived here...I'd hire you :o

I swear stoneheather, everytime you reply to any of the same threads I reply to or go through it's very hard to stay focused on the subject with your avatar's boobies bouncing all over the place :p

It probably does have to do with the area. Over here in Jersey, things do not look so good. I am happy just to have some sort of a job, but this is the fifth job or so I have had in retail, that I have been at for a while, and I make.... nothing!

There are a lot more jobs in North Texas, like the Dallas-Forth Worth area that pay a lot better, but the cost of living over there is pretty high. So, in the end it evens itself out. That's why I haven't moved.

What kind of business are you in Stoneheather?

I am opening an insurance agency, me and my b/f currently own a pool company and a Maientence/ Handy man service... Money flows like water here jobs are everywhere, I can't find anyone who wants to work, I help out in an accounting office now and we have had an add to fill my postition as a Bookkeeper listed for 6 weeks and get little response.... Anybody ever think of relocating?

We also just got hit with Massive hurricanes her in Florida, there are people comming from all over the county to work and there arn't enough people.

• Author

I'm lookin for something entry-level, because I haven't graduated yet- I think it definitely has to do with location. Im in NC and so many people have lost jobs due to Mill layoffs, and airlines going bankrupt, its crazy.

Ok...my mouth's watering at the idea of $10 an hour...just so ya know haha.

• Author

I'm kind of wary of temp agencys...Im limited to just the area around my Uni, unfortunately...i think if I went with one of them, they'd want me to work across town or something.

$14...dont tempt me, haha. I wish I could get that kind of a deal up here!

Can you start a small business? Nanny service? Cleaning Homes, offices ect?

How about selling something? Candels, Avon, MARY KAY?

Temp agencies are great. They will ask you your availability and you can discuss your travel problems with them. I'd definitely at least go talk to a few.

I live in South Florida and am having a hard time finding an entry level job. I wanted to move out of my current area of expertise but it's been difficult finding an employer willing to train me. I know how frustrating it can be to look (unsuccessfully) for a job! Good luck to you!