stuck between two jobs

So I went through the whole interview process for this job. I'm a recent grad and this job paid amazing for someone like me. Young and entry level. Well it was between me and someone else. It was so hard to decide and I took them three weeks to decide. They ended picking the other person saying it was so difficult to decide. And they even offered to try and help me find another job since I was a good candidate. Something must have gone wrong with the other person.because they just emailed me saying the job is still available and they want to talk to me in person. I have the phone call this afternoon. I think they will offer me the job. The problem is that it's currently Friday, and I have another interview on Tuesday for another place. I don't think the other job will pay as much as the first but I wouldn't mind checking it out to see if it is something I might like better as a career. But if I am offered the job today I don't want to turn it down and lose it. Especially if I don't get the Tuesday job. I'm only interviewing. So I may not even get it. I don't we want to hold the job today up and have them wait. I am unsure of what to do?

Ask how long you have to accept the offer. At one of my previous jobs, they gave me about 5 days to accept and sign the offer before they would move on to someone else. Nothing is for certain unless it's in writing. Have they mentioned when you would be starting? If not, you can say yes to the verbal offer and say you won't be available to start until Wednesday, that way you can hear out what they have to say at the other job before you come in and sign an offer at this job.

If they offer the job to you today I would be honest with them & say that because they offered the job to the other person you now need time to think about it & ask if you can give them an answer on Wednesday.

• Like 2

What a position you're in. I'm a business owner in the hiring rather than job seeking position and somebody funked up when they hired the other person. Unless the person they hired got killed suddenly in a car accident or some other disaster happened, they should NOT be in a position to be calling you right now. They most likely missed something in the interview process.

The reason I said that is to give you a good advantage in your situation. You said the other job doesn't have as good of pay but let me tell you right now that you want a job you can be happy in above everything else. So, if I were you, I'd talk to them, sure. I'd make sure they tell me what happened and make sure they're quick to answer me so I know they're being honest with me.

Then, I'd make my decision based on two factors. One is where would I be happy. The other is who do I trust? If somebody thinks they have you in their back pocket to call because something fell through, you have to realize that from that day forward if you accept that job, they will always be seeing you as their second choice and I highly doubt they'll treat you right. Not the way they'd treat you if you were their first choice.

They could have a valid reason for calling you up. Maybe something beyond their control did happen. But, I'd find out first what's going on before even entertaining the idea of making a solid decision when they are backtracking themselves. I wouldn't trust them until they gave me reasons to.

Edited by LuckyLady13
  • Like 1

I had something similar happen to me and it turned out the other person did not pass the background and/or drug test. They couldn't elaborate further due to privacy reasons. However, this was nearly a month after I was turned down and I had moved on to another job so I had to decline.

• Author

Like I was going to ask what happened to the other candidate. But I was afraid it was rude to ask 'can I think about it for a few days.' I don't want them to not like that. I would have to relocate a bit for both of the jobs. And I work part time so I would want to give me other job a two week notice. The first job I got denied from knew this and told me they would give me adequate time to move.

Like I was going to ask what happened to the other candidate. But I was afraid it was rude to ask 'can I think about it for a few days.' I don't want them to not like that. I would have to relocate a bit for both of the jobs. And I work part time so I would want to give me other job a two week notice. The first job I got denied from knew this and told me they would give me adequate time to move.

I was working during the time I found another job, but I was still given 5 days to sign the offer. They then did all the background tests, which took close to 2 weeks and then I put in my 2 week notice, so I really didn't start the job until a month after I accepted the offer.

Amkxoxo, I agree with d0nnivain except instead of asking for time to think, tell them you need time. Big difference.

Understand that these people are in a position to completely change your life on a daily basis, for potentially years to come and they do know this so asking what happened to the other person makes a lot of sense.

If you tell them you need time because you knew the position was filled and went for another job and now you're in a position to have to make a very unexpected choice, you need to make sure it's the right one. Tell them the truth. You wanted the job with them originally for a good reason and preferred to work with them. Make sure they don't get the impression you're going to blow them off and you still do want to consider working for them but you can't just drop everything because they changed their minds.

You need to know what their reason is for being in the position they're in right now and if these are people you will be taken care of by in the future. Because, if they are backtracking this quick and possibly made a mistake, what other mistakes do they make there? Look at how it's effected your life already! You're on the cusp of making one of the biggest decisions of your life. It's not time for somebody to screw around with you so they have to build your trust. Ask questions and get answers.

• Like 1