My swimming class has only women in it. Should I still take it?

I am 22 year old guy finally deciding to take a swimming lesson. I went on Saturday and the class looks to have only women in it so I will be the only guy. About five others. They all look in their 30s and maybe some younger but still older than me. I called my mom and said I can't go and to cancel the lesson. She said I can if I really want to. Is this a valid concern or am I worried over nothing?

Hope Shimmers
I am 22 year old guy finally deciding to take a swimming lesson. I went on Saturday and the class looks to have only women in it so I will be the only guy. About five others. They all look in their 30s and maybe some younger but still older than me. I called my mom and said I can't go and to cancel the lesson. She said I can if I really want to. Is this a valid concern or am I worried over nothing?

I'm confused - what are you worried about?

You called your mom? You are 22 so how is she making decisions for you? Just curious.

There is nothing wrong with a 22 year old (or any age) guy wanting to take swimming lessons, and I'm guessing that as an adult you will always find more women who have not learned to swim so the genders of the classes will be mostly women. I honestly don't see what the problem is?

I was a lifeguard and taught swimming lessons for a lot of years (mostly to kids, but some adult classes too) and the adult classes were almost always women, but some men. It was never a problem.

• Like 2
  • Author
I'm confused - what are you worried about?

You called your mom? You are 22 so how is she making decisions for you? Just curious.

There is nothing wrong with a 22 year old (or any age) guy wanting to take swimming lessons, and I'm guessing that as an adult you will always find more women who have not learned to swim so the genders of the classes will be mostly women. I honestly don't see what the problem is?

I was a lifeguard and taught swimming lessons for a lot of years (mostly to kids, but some adult classes too) and the adult classes were almost always women, but some men. It was never a problem.

I still live with parents though I go to college

it can be embarrassing since it is a swimming lesson and only females there. Especially since I will only be wearing trunks. I can't help but wonder what they will think or assume

Hope Shimmers

it can be embarrassing since it is a swimming lesson and only females there. Especially since I will only be wearing trunks. I can't help but wonder what they will think or assume

Well... speaking as an (ex) swimming instructor... men wear swimming trunks. It's how it is. What would there be to assume? You are taking swimming lessons just like they are.

They'll be more concerned with how their own bodies look, not yours.

They are most likely there to swim not check you out. They won't think anything.

If you need to learn how to swim take the class & concentrate on not drowning rather than trying to determine if some woman is checking you out. The cold water should help keep you under control if you think that is an issue.

I wouldn't get in the water if I were you....Girls have cooties... :laugh:

Honestly.. I would rather swim with a bunch of women than a bunch of hairy men...

• Like 5

I've also just started to learn to swim (and i'm twice your age).

Get.Over.It. There's wimmins in the pool? There'll be wimmins in also every pool you go to.

IF they're the age you say they are, I highly doubt they'll be checking you out (though they might remind you of their own kids!). Unless you're packing something resembling a fire hose in your trunks.

In which case, you might get attacked by a 'cougar' in the changing rooms (but that's a whole different forum...):cool:

Seriously, just focus on why you're there. Enjoy it and learn to swim.

(just a quick thought, some of those Moms may have cute daughters. Could be an opportunity!)

I get where you're coming from...

In the military, there was a point where I was in a male dominated unit and the only other chick besides me was married, ugly, and was desperately sleeping around. I wasn't interested in being butt of their jokes, so I didn't do my nails or hair like I did when I was in other assignments. Actually there were times I didn't even bathe after working out and went straight to work. I didn't want to attract anyone.

When we had "water PT", it was uncomfortable for me, cuz unlike her, I have a very feminine body. I have curves and she literally had no breasts and behind. She literally had nipples instead of breasts...So, I guess she was comfortable coming into the pool in her two-piece bikini (plus, she was probably trying get more guys to sleep with her).

So, I wore my military brown T-shirt over my swimsuit - which kinda helped covering up myself and made me feel more comfortable.

BTW, as an adult I also signed up for swimming class and yea, there was like only one guy and the rest are women...

So, just try to relax and don't be wearing no speedos...lol.

• Like 1

Just go!!

I never learned to swim as a kid and I took some lessons in my 30's.

Alongside that I chose to go practice on my own early in the mornings.

I stopped with the extra practice sessions as in my local pool you get much much older guys who don't even get in the pool and just sit by the side watching.

These ladies won't think anything at all..just go. It'll be fun!

It will also help with if you are practising banter with women...these are older so will be less worried about that and more into the fun of it.

My classes were always great btw!

Alongside that I chose to go practice on my own early in the mornings.

I stopped with the extra practice sessions as in my local pool you get much much older guys who don't even get in the pool and just sit by the side watching.

Really? And I thought it was just me....

I mean, now and then I've gone to the pool at my gym and there are just these creepy lookin' older guys who just hang around there...I mean, if you just wanna wet your feet, go over to the mini-sauna area...why are you at the pool if you just sit there and stare?

Lately there's a Rob Lowe vs. Creepy Rob Lowe commercial about dish TV and the Creepy Rob Lowe seems to like to go the pool and 'watch people swim'

:sick:

Just go and swim. Who cares if you're the only guy.

Just don't sprout a boner! :p

• Like 2

Who cares what they think or anybody else thinks. The sooner you just do what you want to and not worry, the happier you'll be. You want to swim, SWIM and if they have an issue with it, they can join another class.

Just focus on swimming and not the 'ladies'...

• Like 1

Learn to swim in no time with a bevy of ladies. (Or not)

OP just go, i suspect it will be fun.

Who cares what they think or anybody else thinks. The sooner you just do what you want to and not worry, the happier you'll be. You want to swim, SWIM and if they have an issue with it, they can join another class.

Just focus on swimming and not the 'ladies'...

Just go and swim. Who cares if you're the only guy.

Just don't sprout a boner! :p

Cross your fingers extremis, you may be surrounded by hawt ladies, lol. :lmao:;):cool:

I'm finding what a few people said strange because, as a life guard, we were about split 50/50 on the beach and classes were exactly the same. At any rate, take the lessons, have a great time in the water and relax.

In my personal experience, I have mostly met men who can't swim (about 75-80% of the non-swimmers) and I always actually found it a turn off if a guy can't swim because...we can't go surfing together?!? Nah! Not my style.

Extremis, I'm not sure if you work being that you're going to school but something you have to get used to is being around people who aren't your age. You're going to run into it for your entire career until the day you retire so getting used to being around older women for a few swimming lessons will be good for you. Being in college, you may be surrounded by people closer to your age but once you get out, this will change entirely.

I highly doubt they're going to have a bad impression of you in any way. Just be casual and relaxed as you can manage. In a few more years you're going to be used to being around women who aren't your age but besides, if you went to a public pool, water park or beach, you're going to be in swim trunks around women in their 30's, 40's and the occasional 80 year olds. There's no time like the present to start getting used to it!

Edited to add: Don't let your mom hold you back. There's nothing wrong with you swimming with a few 30 year old women for a little while.

Edited by LuckyLady13

Are you obese or something? Man boobs? I don't know why you're embarrassed to take your clothes off but you're better off with the women than with the men. They'll probably just ignore you while the dudes will goof on you.

I was a lifeguard and swimming teacher for at least a year. Semi-private and group lesson students are usually way too busy and focused on getting the strokes right and passing, instead of the class gender composition. I'm more of the type who doesn't discourage some socializing, but I frown upon it when it's affecting the student from concentrating.

There's nothing to worry about. I get it, but because these ladies are a bit older, they will not be immature and giggling or have any reason to give you a hard time, I promise. Besides you need to learn to swim. Just think of it as business. Once you have to get a job, you will have to learn to work closely with women.