Would semi-formal attire be "too formal" during this part of the screening process?

I've recently applied to a position at a company that requires me to take a proofreading test as the first step before an interview. After receiving an invitation to the test through the phone, they emailed me a confirmation email with the details on this weekend's appointment. One of the sentences in the email stated that the dress code is casual and there's no need to wear a suit (they want the candidates to feel comfortable).

My question is: Is it okay to dress in slacks/jacket/tie or is that too much right now? I personally prefer to dress that way with anything business/formal related but if it makes me look foolish, I am completely fine with wearing something like jeans and a button-up.

You're making an impression. Even if it isn't on the person who may or may not hire you. I'd not dress too casual unless the job itself is something you'd always dress casually for.

Before I owned a business and actually did interviews and things, I always overdressed. I ignored what anybody told me. And I never ever had the experience of not getting a job I went for. I think the way I was, at times, over dressed, had a lot to do with my "luck".

Whoever is there when you're doing this proofreading test, you're making an impression on. I'd make the best one possible.

To me, when someone who was going to interview me told me to take it easy and be casual, I assumed this to be one of the biggest assessments of my character and a little trick to see if I fell for it. If I listened and went casual, that said a lot about me. To me it meant I'd kick my feet up at the first opportunity. It was a sign of laziness.

It's up to you and how you want people to view you.

• Like 2

If they say casual, go business casual. It's not too under dressed or over dressed and still looks nicer than a t-shirt and jeans. Nice polo shirt and khakis.

• Like 1

First of all semi formal attire for a man is a tuxedo. Formal attire means tails in the morning or white tie in the evening.

Fashion lesson aside, wear what makes you feel comfortable. As a nod to what they said, business casual attire, perhaps skip the tie. In addition to demonstrating you have the skills & proficiency that they want you may also be assessed on your ability to follow directions & blend into the firm culture.

• Like 3

Yes, slacks, jacket and tie.

Someone once told me dress for the job you want. I have followed this advice and trust me, people notice.

I once told my co-worker how I plan my outfits for the week so I don't repeat (not a necessary thing, just personal preference - I like to make use of all my clothes). He says I shouldn't worry, no one notices those things. The next week in the staff meeting he wore a white shirt and one of our co-workers says "Joe (not his real name) you aren't wearing a blue shirt! I don't know if I've ever seen you not wearing some shade of blue". I cracked up on the inside.

I've had more than one boss that has commented on how I dress professionally. For me it is a source of pride. I work a service point and my coworkers all look either well coordinated or downright spiffy. I would be doing us all a disservice by not looking my best.

I find our society has gotten too casual for my taste. Dressing well makes a good impression. Im not saying wear a suit, certainly not, but definitely, a jacket and tie.

Best of luck to you. Let us know how it goes.

• Like 2

Some folks wear what is directed in the invitation. Open to some level of interpretation. Make it clean, ironed if need be, and fitted. those are key.

As is being well groomed. Cologne and perfume at a minimum.

Good luck!

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Author

I know this was about 20 days ago but I just wanted to thank everyone who gave advice. I wore business casual to the assessment test (thanks d0nnivain for the fashion lesson!) and a suit to the in-person interview. I ended up getting the job and I love everything about it. The location, benefits, pay, co-workers. It's a 9-5 position so I get evenings and weekends off for hobbies/socializing.

Thanks guys.

• Like 3

As long as you look somewhat youthful, I'd go with an edgy casual look. Go on Google and type in "casual contemporary for men" and some photos will come up to give you an idea. But don't wear jeans. Don't wear dress shoes, but don't wear sneakers either. Find a cool shoe.

• Like 1

Thanks for updating us. I am so glad you were able to get the job. It is wonderful to do something you really enjoy, with people you enjoy and to be paid well for it.

Congrats!!