Job hunting ethics dilemma :(

If you've verbally agreed to take a job - pending discussing salary etc - is it dishonest to interview for other jobs? Or is that pretty normal practice?

My story is as follows: about 9 months ago, I left a good job to take a years contract at a university, to upskill myself.

My prior boss - a guy I really like and respect - got in touch with me about a month back, and we discussed whether I'd go back to work for him after I finished my year at the university. He wanted me back at least full time, whereas I wasn't keen to work more than 3 days a week (because of the commute from where I'm living with my partner), so we agreed that it wasn't a good fit, and he said he was happy to be a referee for me when I applied for other jobs. So I did apply for other jobs, using him as a referee.

However, old boss got back in touch about 2 weeks ago and said he'd changed his mind and he was keen to have me back 3 days a week. I said great - sounds good, I'd be keen, etc - but we didn't nail down any definite details regarding start date or salary.

About a week ago, one of the companies I'd previously contacted got in touch with me and asked me to interview with them.

I emailed my old boss to ask what type of salary he was thinking of offering and asking for an exact start date. Old boss didn't get back to me and I attended the interview for the other position. Yesterday, the other company called my boss asking him for a reference - and today they called me back to offer me a job.

I feel like I'm in such an awkward position now - I am a bit worried that my old boss thinks I've been dishonest and underhanded. However, I think I'd also be silly to stop interviewing for jobs and following up on job leads, until I have an actual job contract agreed and signed with my old boss, just in case he offers me a far lower salary than I want or need.

What is the ethics of this type of situation? Should I have told my old boss that I was going to keep interviewing with other employers until we had a signed contract? And what should I do now! :eek:

• Like 1

If you accepted the job with your former boss, then you need to pick up the phone and talk to him about what happened with this other position, in terms of how it all played out, the timing of it, etc. Let him know that it came up after you and he talked and you were curious about it. Just be upfront. He may not be upset about it at all if you're honest with him. But not even picking up the phone to explain things will most likely make him think you betrayed him. Just call him and I'm sure everything will be ok.

Btw, congrats on being such a desirable and impressive individual. Not many people get that many offers and not everyone gets asked back. You must have very good work ethics and must be very impressive in an interview. Well done!

• Like 2

Do you want this other job more so than the one with your ex boss? If so, I don't think it would be bad to accept. Just explain to him that you interviewed with the company before you discussed going back to work for him. You can also say that since he didn't respond to you right away with a day and time for you to start, that you decided to take the other offer. Imo, nothing is firm until you sign paperwork or at least have a date and time to start working there.

• Like 1

It's your life.

You have to look out for you, no one else will do that for you.

The ex-boss has himself in a hole actually as he didn't respond with salary information.

That's unfair, it should have all been laid out for you by him.

As it is...you are in the dark and he didn't respond.

It sounds like he didn't even acknowledge your mail? Bad bad practice...even if he knows you. Especially if he knows you actually as it doesn't set a good boundary for specifics of the role.

If the choice is between the two roles (I'm unsure if you are after two jobs where you have time to work both) or just one I would right now be erring toward the unknown instead of the known.

He needs to step up and be clear about the salary and anything else which he may have on his mind.

If you do really want to work for him call him and be straight up and ask...and request it formally in writing from him too.

If he doesn't step up he could miss out.

• Like 2
What is the ethics of this type of situation?
You're not contractually nor ethically bound to anyone. That is the nature of business. You seek out the best deal for yourself and all other considerations are secondary.
Should I have told my old boss that I was going to keep interviewing with other employers until we had a signed contract?
No, it's none of his/her business. You are not an employee.
And what should I do now!
Secure the best deal and fit for yourself.

I haven't been an employee in nearly thirty years but have been an employer and have decades of experience in business dealings. It took a lot of hard knocks from experienced business people to harden me up to the realities of business, especially in today's business climate.

Work your ass off but always look out for number 1 (you). No one else ever will.

• Like 3