How long should you stay at a new job that's a bad fit?

So I recently started a new job and I'm not that crazy about it so far. I was somewhat deceived in interviews and expectations and responsibilities are higher than I expected. I frankly told my boss that I was honest in my interview about my skills and he's response was basically along the lines of: "Well, you're hear now and the job needs to get done."

Also, not sure I'm crazy about the culture at this place. The people I work with are fine, but the company as a whole... meh.

I don't know if I should dust off my resume and start looking right away, wait a few months or try to stick around and beef up my resume.. then leave in a year or two at a higher level.

I would start looking now if you feel you're not a good fit. Last thing you want is to be fired at your 3 month review for not being a good fit. Your dissatisfaction will eventually show.

• Like 2

That's a tough spot and I feel for you :(

Do you really want to stay in a job you don't like for 1-2 years? :eek: what would the payoff be at the end?

Do you start looking now for better?

Seems it couldn't hurt to do both right? I mean if you are able to fit in the time *

• Like 5

It's better to stay employed while you look for a new job, than be unemployed. If you give yourself a year, that's smart because you'll have plenty of time to find another company to work for, you'll have income vs. unemployment benefits, and a good job reference instead of a bad one, were you to quit your job now. There's nothing worse than being unemployed, with little to no income or savings to rely on, while you try to job hunt, pay bills, rent, food and health insurance. Better to stay there while you job search. Contact some head hunters/recruiters and start the process after you have your resume polished.

• Like 2
  • Author
I would start looking now if you feel you're not a good fit. Last thing you want is to be fired at your 3 month review for not being a good fit. Your dissatisfaction will eventually show.

Well... the job is still new so I don't want to jump the gun. I don't HATE the place, I'm just not crazy about it. I don't see it as someplace I want to work long term.

What would you do in this situation?

As far as showing my dissatisfaction.. I never do that at work. I walk in with a positive attitude and a smile, even if I considered jumping in front of the subway on my way to work that morning. Why give my employer the luxury?

Edited by Mister Zen
  • Like 1
Well... the job is still new so I don't want to jump the gun. I don't HATE the place, I'm just not crazy about it. I don't see it as someplace I want to work long term.

As far as showing my dissatisfaction.. I never do that at work. I walk in with a positive attitude and a smile, even if I considered jumping in front of the subway on my way to work that morning. Why give my employer the luxury?

Well, if it's something that will give my resume a boost and I didn't feel the job was damaging to my morale, I'd stick with it at least 6 months to a year before thinking of moving on. When I got my current job, I didn't think I'd stick around more than a year as the pay was low and I needed full time. 2 months into it, my boss recently said since my coworker was moving into another role, I could take over her current duties and become full time within the next few months along with a raise at 6 months and 12 months. Unless it's unbearable, give the job time.

• Like 4

Loyalty is less important then it was in years past. If there is only one blip on your resume as opposed to a pattern of job hopping it should not be a death knell.

• Like 1
  • Author
I was in 100% the same spot and did get fired four months after starting.

Dont quit but find a new job asap

What reason did they give you for the termination?

• Like 1
  • Author
Loyalty is less important then it was in years past. If there is only one blip on your resume as opposed to a pattern of job hopping it should not be a death knell.

Totally true! But should I even put this new job on my resume.. or should I leave it out and have a 3-5 month blank spot?

This new job is at a large well-known company. It is great for my resume.. which is the main reason I was thinking I should stick around for a year or two. The place I was at before was very small.

• Like 1
UpwardForward

Hopefully this was meant 'tongue in cheek'. If so, it surely made me laugh.

You're unhappy - and to dread going to work each morning. I would start looking now. It might make you feel less trapped.

Others may know if you should put this company's name on your resume.

• Like 1

If you've been at the job for several months, I would list it. If you have to submit any employment verification as to what you've been doing the past 4-7 years, it could easily come up and besides, if they are asking you if you're currently working, how would you respond? You don't want to lie and say you're unemployed. Also, if you feel is relevant, you definitely want to have it there versus a gap.

• Like 1
  • Author
Hopefully this was meant 'tongue in cheek'. If so, it surely made me laugh.

You're unhappy - and to dread going to work each morning. I would start looking now. It might make you feel less trapped.

Others may know if you should put this company's name on your resume.

Yeah, it was definitely 'tongue in cheek'.

I don't really feel trapped because I know I can get another job. Its just a matter of making the best strategic move "big picture wise".

Another thing is I was exhausted when I finally landed this job because I spent a good 2 months going to interviews and follow-up interviews at various companies. All while working full time. I had no social life and no free time. The thought of going through that again is depressing. Plus, with the holiday season coming, hiring will probably slow down until January.

• Like 1
UpwardForward
Yeah, it was definitely 'tongue in cheek'.

I don't really feel trapped because I know I can get another job. Its just a matter of making the best strategic move "big picture wise".

Another thing is I was exhausted when I finally landed this job because I spent a good 2 months going to interviews and follow-up interviews at various companies. All while working full time. I had no social life and no free time. The thought of going through that again is depressing. Plus, with the holiday season coming, hiring will probably slow down until January.

Oh, I can identify with that. Already feeling harried - and then getting a job, and having to start right away.

I hear you. It feels like I have been job searching off and on for the better part of nearly 2 years. Since I found something 30 hours a week that would give me valuable experience, I decided to stick with it and it was worth it. I can relate to the difficulty job searching while employed as well.

• Like 2
What reason did they give you for the termination?

I guess over the last several years everyone who had filled the position prior to me had quit rather quickly. They were honest with me about this of course AFTER I had gotten hired. So they asked me periodically what I thought, where the challenges/short coming of the position were, what changes were needed, if I was happy, if it was a good fit...

Each time I answered honestly and tried to provide open & honest feedback.

The position was also much different than what I agreed on in accepting the position...they offered to streamline the position to just one department instead of two. It seemed good and I agreed to the change but at the end of the day it turns out the budget wasn't there to have me full time in just the one department and they let me go saying they could not find the right niche for me, that they loved me and it was the hardest termination they ever had to make.

I was in SHOCK as they constantly sought my insight and feedback and in the end they used that honest feedback to get rid of me even though the position was a disaster and caused constant turnover.

The "we love you" and even hugs from director and hr on my way out really had me bewildered.

Best advice, keep your mouth shut, work hard...but get out.

• Author
I guess over the last several years everyone who had filled the position prior to me had quit rather quickly. They were honest with me about this of course AFTER I had gotten hired. So they asked me periodically what I thought, where the challenges/short coming of the position were, what changes were needed, if I was happy, if it was a good fit...

Each time I answered honestly and tried to provide open & honest feedback.

The position was also much different than what I agreed on in accepting the position...they offered to streamline the position to just one department instead of two. It seemed good and I agreed to the change but at the end of the day it turns out the budget wasn't there to have me full time in just the one department and they let me go saying they could not find the right niche for me, that they loved me and it was the hardest termination they ever had to make.

I was in SHOCK as they constantly sought my insight and feedback and in the end they used that honest feedback to get rid of me even though the position was a disaster and caused constant turnover.

The "we love you" and even hugs from director and hr on my way out really had me bewildered.

Best advice, keep your mouth shut, work hard...but get out.

Thanks for posting this. Its a very clear picture of the cut-throat nature of the corporate world. Which is why (like I said earlier) I will never give my employer the luxury of knowing what I'm thinking or how I'm feeling.

Unfortunately you have to beat them at their own game by holding your cards close to your chest. Its much better to throw a curve ball than to get hit by one. I've always believed people who actually care about the companies they work for are fools because your employer doesn't care about you AT ALL. They care about making money and that's pretty much it. They are all business even if they pretend not to be. We as employees have to be the same way. ALL business while pretending not to be. :D :D

Great post.

• Like 2
Thanks for posting this. Its a very clear picture of the cut-throat nature of the corporate world. Which is why (like I said earlier) I will never give my employer the luxury of knowing what I'm thinking or how I'm feeling.

Unfortunately you have to beat them at their own game by holding your cards close to your chest. Its much better to throw a curve ball than to get hit by one. I've always believed people who actually care about the companies they work for are fools because your employer doesn't care about you AT ALL. They care about making money and that's pretty much it. They are all business even if they pretend not to be. We as employees have to be the same way. ALL business while pretending not to be. :D :D

Great post.

I guess I'm missing how this is cut-throat. Yes, companies first and foremost have to make a profit. No profit, no company, no job. They're not going to keep someone on that can't do the work. In her case, I do agree that they didn't seem to honest about the position but I wouldn't necessarily call it cut-throat. I think I'd call it poor management. As long as you have this attitude about corporations, you're going to lose in these situations because this thought and mentality will shadow everything you do.

Not meaning this to sound sarcastic, but maybe you should consider going into business for yourself. It doesn't sound like you like working for someone (that's not a bad thing), plus it would give you a good idea of what it means to continually make a profit, to be responsible for several people's paychecks, to be continually scrutinized, etc. Corporations make it look easy but it's not and it never will be.

I used to work at a huge corporation and I got tired of all the complaining and criticizing. People would complain about the dumbest things. I recall once that the company changed insurance companies and everyone had to decide on what coverages they wanted on an individual basis - dental, medical, etc. Now, insurance with this company was crazy-cheap but do you know what everyone complained about? About having to make a freakin' decision about what to choose. While I was at that company, I was often astounded at the things people could find to be disgruntled about. I began calling this attitude the 'corporate mentality'. The corp could never do enough, give enough, say enough. I'm not saying you're like that but I bring that up to make a point about how people can lose sight of the big picture.

If people would think about the company from the perspective of the owner, it would change how they see things.

If you have the brains and guts to go out there and make it on your own, then I say go for it. It beats working for someone else, any day of the week. But don't ever kid yourself that it's easy.

• Author
I guess I'm missing how this is cut-throat. Yes, companies first and foremost have to make a profit. No profit, no company, no job. They're not going to keep someone on that can't do the work. In her case, I do agree that they didn't seem to honest about the position but I wouldn't necessarily call it cut-throat. I think I'd call it poor management. As long as you have this attitude about corporations, you're going to lose in these situations because this thought and mentality will shadow everything you do.

Not meaning this to sound sarcastic, but maybe you should consider going into business for yourself. It doesn't sound like you like working for someone (that's not a bad thing), plus it would give you a good idea of what it means to continually make a profit, to be responsible for several people's paychecks, to be continually scrutinized, etc. Corporations make it look easy but it's not and it never will be.

I used to work at a huge corporation and I got tired of all the complaining and criticizing. People would complain about the dumbest things. I recall once that the company changed insurance companies and everyone had to decide on what coverages they wanted on an individual basis - dental, medical, etc. Now, insurance with this company was crazy-cheap but do you know what everyone complained about? About having to make a freakin' decision about what to choose. While I was at that company, I was often astounded at the things people could find to be disgruntled about. I began calling this attitude the 'corporate mentality'. The corp could never do enough, give enough, say enough. I'm not saying you're like that but I bring that up to make a point about how people can lose sight of the big picture.

If people would think about the company from the perspective of the owner, it would change how they see things.

If you have the brains and guts to go out there and make it on your own, then I say go for it. It beats working for someone else, any day of the week. But don't ever kid yourself that it's easy.

Of course I don't like working for someone. Does anyone really? I hate having a boss and I hate people telling me what to do. I do plan to eventually find a way to be self-employed (and there are more ways than one). But I have to figure out how and when to go about it. In the mean time I need to eat and pay the bills.

Also.. regarding your comment on my "mentality".. what exactly did I say about corporations that was false or inaccurate? They are all cut-throat because they have to be. The ones that are not usually don't last or don't thrive.

Trust me I fully understand the owners perspective. But I care about it about as much as he cares about mine.

• Like 1

At my current job I am always asked if I have questions or concerns, but it doesn't feel shady or anything. It does sound like they just want to make sure I'm comfortable with the job and everything. I do agree to some extent regarding loyalty to employers. They can let you go at any time for their own best interests, but say their screwing you on hours and you got a full time offer, there's this expectation for the employee to give notice. I mean, I think it is a good idea say if you're working 40 hours a week, but not if you're only on call.

Edited by pink_sugar

Hmmm...ya know, I don't think that thinking thw business world/employer you work for is cut throat is a bad thing.

I think it's realistic.

But you can very well hide that you think that way IMO.

OP says he/she is happy at work (appears to be anyway).

We all have gripes and some are normal.

Some folk do share a bit too much in water cooler moments though and I know a handful at my place of employment who do.

They see everything as against them and take it personally but it's bigger picture stuff and they are always checking performance and history and comparing. These folk get recognition from the MD but they take it with a pinch of salt and only look at what they 'haven't got'.

Dealing with these folk daily as I do....there's reasons why they are not getting what they want. Those they hate as competition do a huge amount more - but I see that - those who believe they deserve much more recognition actually could do with stepping up a big old chunk as their competitors do.

I'm talking sales people here and for me it is blindingly obvious who and why as to what they achieve.

I calculate their commissions though so of course I cannot comment anything back to them and I never do.

Corporate where you are a number is different to where you are a name though I agree.

I prefer to be a name.

I've been both.

My last job (which paid a lot more than my current job) was not a good fit for me. It was family owned and the daughter was a major biotch so I quit. DESPITE all the awesome benefits.

No amount of money is worth me staying at a job that causes me unnecessary stress. It was terrible.

I went back to the company I previously worked at (which I left to go work for the bad company) which pays less and the benefits aren't great but the people are good to me. It's professional unlike my last job was. I'm so much happier there.

Money isn't everything in my book.

Edited by me85
  • Like 2
My last job (which paid a lot more than my current job) was not a good fit for me. It was family owned and the daughter was a major biotch so I quit. DESPITE all the awesome benefits.

No amount of money is worth me staying at a job that causes me unnecessary stress. It was terrible.

I went back to the company I previously worked at (which I left to go work for the bad company) which pays less and the benefits aren't great but the people are good to me. It's professional unlike my last job was. I'm so much happier there.

Money isn't everything in my book.

This. Culture is everything. If you have a great work environment, a few bucks less in your wallet won't hurt you.

• Like 3
  • Author
This. Culture is everything. If you have a great work environment, a few bucks less in your wallet won't hurt you.

Agree. Stress takes years off your life. No amount of money is worth being miserable 40 hours a week and living a shorter life.

A lot of people act perplexed when someone quits a big fancy high status corporate job to be a teacher or starving artist.. but I totally get it. We only have so much time on this planet and no one on their deathbed ever regrets not spending more time at the office.

• Like 1