Pay raise in more expensive city

If I get the job I am interviewing for my husband will apply for a job within his same company but in the new city. The job he would apply for would be a lateral move but the new city costs 3 times more to live than where we currently live.

Do you think he could ask for a cost of living raise?

Or even a raise in general?

Would you be getting compensated enough to afford living in the new city? My husband and I moved from a larger city, because the cost of living would be so much less and we'd be making the same. He can try asking for a raise, but also take into consideration whether or not you can afford it if he doesn't get the raise.

• Author
Would you be getting compensated enough to afford living in the new city? My husband and I moved from a larger city, because the cost of living would be so much less and we'd be making the same. He can try asking for a raise, but also take into consideration whether or not you can afford it if he doesn't get the raise.

Well lets put it this way...it will be tough but I cannot afford not to take the job as I have been searching and applying for years in this industry after having to step down to care for an illness. The jobs are SO hard to come by and theres SO much competition so if I can get my career back maybe in a few years once my experience is current again and my performance is solid I can apply in another city but for now if I dont take the job I am in trouble because as it is my experience is becoming outdated and I am being passed over for candidates who have more current experience so I have to go where the opening is. Its my only chance.

• Like 1

I hear you, the economy I still isn't what it used to be. Are you currently unemployed? If your husband is able to transfer and you get this job, will you be better off financially versus staying where you are now with your husband's income?

If you're a renter, I highly suggest not getting into a lease until probation is over or if you do lease, make sure you have the option of getting out of the lease with a termination fee, should anything change.

Edited by pink_sugar

I think much would depend on how long he has been with the company, how long it has been since he has had a raise, and what are others making in the vicinity where he would be working...

No offence, but in this economy, there are people climbing over themselves to get the job WITHOUT a pay rise.

I have had to accept a job that pays a dollar or two bellow min wage.. I get 4 dollars less than a WAITRESS or retail worker....

There are no other offers out there so sometimes we have to just suck it up and take what we can get.

Just eat baked beams for a few years and then once you gain your experience back, you can apply for a new job and progress in your career!

Best of luck. I hope you get it, and that your husband gets his transfer...

Even though money will be tight, you will still be working again - so much better than not working!

Most large corporations take into account the vicinity of living cost.

He is welcome to inquire with the HR, when he puts in his transfer. They usually have a grasp of the market and its employee's cost of living in areas.

the down side is, Is he guaranteed a job at the other office and if so, How will he be transitioned into that position? Unless he is in management, he will find it a bit of a challenge as each corporate office may have a pecking order to contend with....

• Like 1
Banker Chick

Like Tayla said, most larger corporations have different pay scales for different cities. I worked for a large bank that was headquartered in Chicago but had offices all over the US. They actually had separate pay matrices for the different cities.

I believe it doesn't hurt to ask questions and find out.

• Like 1
  • Author

Thank you. Well as indicated we would happily take transfer with no raise. I just wasn't sure if it was a ridiculous request. I am working but this would be a career move. About 20_30k more than I make now. I just need my role back feast or famine. Not in a bargaining role...will take what I get and be so grateful. Thank you everyone!!

Good luck and let us know how it goes! If your husband transfers, make sure all is in writing. When we relocated and my husband transferred, he didn't expect the position advertised would be on-call with minimal work. If the extra $20-30k a year will offset the extra living expenses, go for it! Otherwise, find other ways to scale back.

• Author
Most large corporations take into account the vicinity of living cost.

He is welcome to inquire with the HR, when he puts in his transfer. They usually have a grasp of the market and its employee's cost of living in areas.

the down side is, Is he guaranteed a job at the other office and if so, How will he be transitioned into that position? Unless he is in management, he will find it a bit of a challenge as each corporate office may have a pecking order to contend with....

We don't have all the answers or even if he can get transferred at all as he cant ask any questions or hint toward the transfer until I get a solid offer.

He has been with his company for 10 years, Id hope they will treat him fairly but we dont know. The only thing we do know is my career chance wont come around twice and weve been waiting for this chance for 5 years so we gotta pull together and find a way.

I wont get relocation help so as it is we will have to apply for some sort of personal loan and pray we get approved for a rental. These last few years have been some of the toughest on us and Im really praying it all works out.

• Like 1