would you give notice to a job with no work?

Long story short, my husband got screwed over by his job which promised him a stable position and didn't follow through. He was working full time until his coworker came back from maternity leave, in which he was promised to start a new position right after. They took their sweet time deciding whether or not they were still doing it even though they originally said for sure, which is why he stuck with the company. But when his coworker came back from maternity leave, he was told only 2 days before and our benefits were terminated mid month without our knowledge. Seriously?! Obviously not sufficient time to get on another health plan. Anyways, the company is hitting it's slow time of year and he's only worked one day in the past 2 weeks, but they keep him on call. It was like this before he was full time for 3 months and stuck with the company since he was promised this position. So my question is, do you need to give notice to a job in which you're on call with one or 0 days each week? I don't see the point if you're only given 5 hours a week.

pink-sugar,

I agree with pbannerjee - he needs to have a good look at the original contract before he does anything hasty. There could be all sorts of "get-out" clauses in it.

Good luck.

• Author

We're in an "at-will" state, so either party can terminate at any time. 2 weeks is a courtesy, but since there's no work, it doesn't make sense to give notice.

I wouldn't give a 2 week notice. I'd write a letter or email or something documenting the lack of work and how drastically my hours have been cut and just end it with like "my services will no longer be available to you" or something. they are fking him over without a second thought or care, he doesn't owe them anything extra.

Or are you saying not to even tell them at all? I would def tell them but a 2 week notice...no, not unless he REALLY needs/wants those few hours he MIGHT get during those 2 weeks.

• Like 4

I'd find new work and then give notice.

Do you need his income or does he have the luxury of not working?

It always seems easier to find work while having current employment.

Is he spending a lot of time finding a new job?

• Like 1
  • Author
I wouldn't give a 2 week notice. I'd write a letter or email or something documenting the lack of work and how drastically my hours have been cut and just end it with like "my services will no longer be available to you" or something. they are fking him over without a second thought or care, he doesn't owe them anything extra.

Or are you saying not to even tell them at all? I would def tell them but a 2 week notice...no, not unless he REALLY needs/wants those few hours he MIGHT get during those 2 weeks.

He plans to let them know, but doesn't think 2 weeks is realistic considering the lack of work.

• Author
I'd find new work and then give notice.

Do you need his income or does he have the luxury of not working?

It always seems easier to find work while having current employment.

Is he spending a lot of time finding a new job?

He's staying on call while looking for other work before terminating employment there. He spends several hours a day applying for work over at a local coffee shop as we don't have internet at home at the moment.

If you need the money he should be willing to take any job.

He can easily work out both jobs given that the current one isn't very often.

What kind of work does he do?

If I were in his shoes I would keep the on call gig until I've secured a better job. Once I've secured a better job then I would send an email to my supervisor and hr at the on call job saying something like "thank you for the opportunity, but I have accepted a position elsewhere and effective immediately I will no longer be able to remain on call for your company." The only reason to give more notice in an on call gig is if you've already committed in advance to working a few shifts and you want to make it clear you'll finish those and be quitting after or if you can't do shifts you've committed to.

• Like 1
  • Author

I didn't make it clear in the first post, but he is sticking with it until he lands another job, hence why I asked if he should give notice or not once accepting another position since it doesn't make sense if you're not getting much, if any work. Thankfully, I heard on the radio that 70% of employers in our area are hiring right now. Considering both my husband and I have dealt with the brunt of being screwed over by employers this year, I'm really questioning loyalty to them. You want to do your best not to leave your employer high and dry, even if it means a pay cut or staying longer than you would ordinarily, even though you know you need full time and/or better pay. But they can off you one day as if they're taking out the garbage and then you wonder why you bothered trying to be loyal to them.

• Like 1

Well if you planned on getting another job before he leaves this one this isn't a problem. Most companies will allow you to give 2 weeks notice, and at that point you could talk to his current (****ty) employer about whether they need 2 weeks or not. Obviously he'd prefer not to give 2 weeks in that scenario because it just means he's taking 2 weeks vacation as its unlikely he even gets one shift in that time frame, but anyhow...

• Like 1

You never know when you will bump into somebody in the future. He needs to give them as much notice as possible, two week minimum but since there is little to know work if he handles it graciously it should be OK. Just avoid burning a bridge because you don't want to end up in a situation where the guy you screwed over by not giving notice is the new hiring manager at a job you want in the future.

• Author
Well if you planned on getting another job before he leaves this one this isn't a problem. Most companies will allow you to give 2 weeks notice, and at that point you could talk to his current (****ty) employer about whether they need 2 weeks or not. Obviously he'd prefer not to give 2 weeks in that scenario because it just means he's taking 2 weeks vacation as its unlikely he even gets one shift in that time frame, but anyhow...

I doubt they would need 2 weeks as he was told before that they would work his working hours around his work schedule if he were to find another job. He usually works at night, so I suppose he could give 2 weeks notice and work both positions until the notice period is up. But we're bordering on 2 weeks with no work, which is practically like a layoff IMO and you cannot really expect notice from an employee in this situation.

Always always always give proper two weeks notice.

They may not make him stay that two weeks, given the lack of hours and current circumstances.

But when anyone is trying to find excuses for why you aren't gonna give the proper two weeks notice, it's gonna cause a problem.

You guys don't want it to bite him in the ass later, just do it the right way.

• Author
Always always always give proper two weeks notice.

They may not make him stay that two weeks, given the lack of hours and current circumstances.

But when anyone is trying to find excuses for why you aren't gonna give the proper two weeks notice, it's gonna cause a problem.

You guys don't want it to bite him in the ass later, just do it the right way.

I see your point in other circumstances, but if you're borderline unemployed and your bills are behind due to lack of work and need to be paid, it makes sense to start immediately at the other position.

thefooloftheyear

As an employer I can tell you that I dont and many others dont care if an employee gives notice...No one wants a "lame duck" employee around anyway..In some cases you need to worry about the employee stealing, getting vindictive or souring other employees....

I never gave an old employee a bad review if he didnt give notice...If he left right in the middle of a job I might be inclined to, but thats only happened to me once in 25+ years...

The right thing to do is just look for another job and keep it under hat...When he secures a new job, then he can politely inform the management of his reason for leaving...I am sure they will understand with the facts you have laid out..

Good luck to you both,

TFY

• Like 3

Please, if these people misrepresented the job and are screwing him over with hours he can't trust them for a good reference anyway. No 2 week notice required.

Unless you're in a very small, niche industry, the odds of you being dependent on your old boss again aren't high.

• Like 2

The two week notice standard makes sense for people who are actually working 40 hours a week. I don't see it making sense for someone who is getting just 5 hours. Only an ogre could take exception to your husband moving on when he gets a new job. I'd do it by phone, no email or letter.

• Like 2
Please, if these people misrepresented the job and are screwing him over with hours he can't trust them for a good reference anyway. No 2 week notice required.

Unless you're in a very small, niche industry, the odds of you being dependent on your old boss again aren't high.

I work in the trucking industry. It'll slow from now till May. Even my coworkers said to look for another job and not to bother giving notice. (1 day of work in last 2 weeks).

I figure I would give my supervisor a call when I get hired somewhere, that I have accepted full time work elsewhere and to take me off the on-call list.

• Author
The two week notice standard makes sense for people who are actually working 40 hours a week. I don't see it making sense for someone who is getting just 5 hours. Only an ogre could take exception to your husband moving on when he gets a new job. I'd do it by phone, no email or letter.

Agreed. Considering his job is 30 minutes drive from home, I don't see reason to spend more money he doesn't have on gas just to hand deliver a letter.

eye of the storm

Pink Sugar,

Certain industries are very small worlds. And you never know when someone will talk with someone.

I had a girl quit a PT job at my company and get a new job. She gave us 2 days notice. 3 years later I was chatting with a friend and he mentioned he interviewed her, he noticed her work history and knew I had also worked at the same company. He asked me about her, I told him she had been a good worker and no issues till the 2 day notice thing. She didn't get the job.

I interviewed at a company once and they told me they wanted me to start in 4 days. I told them I couldn't. I reminded them I was currently employed and would need to give 2 weeks notice. He told me if I couldn't start on Monday, he would hire the next person. I stood up and reached across the desk and shook his hand and said, if you want to hire someone who will screw over their current employer for you, you will be hiring someone that will screw you over. I appreciate the interview. He walked me out. I got a call the next day and was told to put in my 2 weeks notice. Turns out it was their way of weeding out applicants.

If he is working so rarely, when he gets the new job offer, contact his present employer and just inform them that he got another job. Tell them he is willing to offer 2 weeks notice. Then if they seem open he can always ask if they want it or can he start his new job sooner. They may just tell him to go, but then he didn't burn a bridge.

That is why you offer 2 weeks. To maintain a good reputation and to not burn bridges.

Good luck on the job hunt!!!

EDIT: I just read that he could do both for two weeks. Then I would without a doubt do both jobs. More money coming in is a benefit. Give the notice, work both jobs. If it turns out that he can maintain the schedule without endangering himself or his work levels then he might even want to keep the on call job.

Edited by eye of the storm
  • Like 1
Pink Sugar,

Certain industries are very small worlds. And you never know when someone will talk with someone.

I had a girl quit a PT job at my company and get a new job. She gave us 2 days notice. 3 years later I was chatting with a friend and he mentioned he interviewed her, he noticed her work history and knew I had also worked at the same company. He asked me about her, I told him she had been a good worker and no issues till the 2 day notice thing. She didn't get the job.

I interviewed at a company once and they told me they wanted me to start in 4 days. I told them I couldn't. I reminded them I was currently employed and would need to give 2 weeks notice. He told me if I couldn't start on Monday, he would hire the next person. I stood up and reached across the desk and shook his hand and said, if you want to hire someone who will screw over their current employer for you, you will be hiring someone that will screw you over. I appreciate the interview. He walked me out. I got a call the next day and was told to put in my 2 weeks notice. Turns out it was their way of weeding out applicants.

If he is working so rarely, when he gets the new job offer, contact his present employer and just inform them that he got another job. Tell them he is willing to offer 2 weeks notice. Then if they seem open he can always ask if they want it or can he start his new job sooner. They may just tell him to go, but then he didn't burn a bridge.

That is why you offer 2 weeks. To maintain a good reputation and to not burn bridges.

EDIT: I just read that he could do both for two weeks. Then I would without a doubt do both jobs. More money coming in is a benefit. Give the notice, work both jobs. If it turns out that he can maintain the schedule without endangering himself or his work levels then he might even want to keep the on call job.

My supervisor said he would understand if I took something else and made that my main job. (He told me this early on when I transferred there). It really depends on the hours I have to work to do both (temporarily).

• Author
Pink Sugar,

He often works until 1am at the on call job if he does work. Ultimately, considering the distance (30 minutes commute), it's not worth keeping as a second job only to work one day a week. Plus, working until 1am if you have an 8-5 job just really wouldn't work.

Also, considering the company has screwed him over...not only the lack of work, the cancellation of benefits/health insurance without us knowing, but also promising a permanent position, in which he stuck around several months waiting for...only for them to decide last minute that they weren't going to come through on that promise. Based on that on my own experience, I don't think someone in this situation owes anything to their employer.

Edited by pink_sugar
  • Like 1
eye of the storm

PinkSugar, I know the feeling of wanting to rage quit. But it may come back to bite him.

When it comes to a job, I am queen of prudence/patience/calm. I personally still don't see the problem with working both jobs for a couple of weeks. I worked 4 jobs for over 2 years. 7 days a week. M-F I was gone from 0615 to 01, Sat and Sun depending on which places I worked I worked 5-13 hours. It was exhausting. But it impressed on me and the kids the importance of keeping a job and leaving a job so that if something horrible happens, they might throw some work my way. Which actually happened to me, I got laid off and called an old employer (that I hated) asked if I could use them as a reference and they hired me to cover the purchasing manager's job while she was out on medical leave. It gave me a cushion while I was looking for a job.

This was a company I wanted to firebomb when I left. It was, by far, the worst company I have ever seen. But because I left on THEIR good terms, it helped me later when I needed it.

That's all I'm saying. Leaving a place on good terms is good for you. Not as immediately satisfying as flipping them the bird and ghosting, but better in the long term.

Good luck in the job hunt

I'm one of those people that always does "the right thing" where work is concerned but as I've gotten older and been through downsizings, company bankruptcies, etc. I've seen that a person doesn't always get the same respect in return. I would be hard pressed in this situation to give two weeks notice. However, I would also imagine if he did give two weeks, would they really use him in that time anyway? They're barely using him now so more than likely they'd not schedule in him out of spite and then he'd be two more weeks without any pay. Like we've already seen in this forum, employees go the extra mile for these employers and when it comes time for references they get the shaft anyway. And honestly, if your husband decides to move on from this new job he's going to get and the prospective employer wants to get a reference from this prior job, he can always explain up front.

I'd offer up the two weeks as a nice gesture and if by chance they say "Ok Mr. Sugar, we really appreciate that and we'll keep you on the schedule for the next two weeks" you can always cross your fingers that he won't get scheduled. You said it's averaged one day a week in a couple of weeks time so that would be manageable for two weeks, no?

• Like 2