Do I need to let them know I'm no longer interested?

Banker Chick

I've been out of work for a couple weeks and have been actively looking. I've sent out quite a few resumes and also attended a job fair a week and 1/2 ago. I'm 99.9% sure I'm going to get a job offer from a company that I'm really excited about. I interviewed for two hours with the man that would be my boss and he all but told me the job was mine. My previous boss also told me the company called him to verify my past employment and job performance so things are looking good.

My question ... I'm getting calls to have phone interviews and in person interviews with companies to which I had previously sent resumes. I'm not interested in pursuing these because I've already been offered a position that I had to turn down because I REALLY want this other position and I wouldn't feel right accepting an offer and then quitting a week or two later. Do I owe these other companies a call back explaining I'm not interested when they leave me a message to set up an interview? One of them I applied to a month ago!

Interview until you get the offer. Once you get an offer, you don't have to respond to further inquiries unless you already had an interview scheduled and need to cancel.

• Like 2
  • Author
Banker Chick

I understand why you all would think I should still interview, but frankly, I'm not interested in doing so at this time. I already had a job offer earlier this week that I turned down because I really want to wait and see if I get this job. It was definitely a tough decision but I had to take the risk. I should be hearing either way any day now about the position I really want. I have the luxury of having some savings so I'm not under the gun to hurry up and get another job, especially one I'm not really all that excited about. The companies calling me now are ones that I had submitted resumes before I interviewed with the company from which I'm now hoping I get an offer.

My question was more along the lines of knowing that I'm not interested in setting up an interview, do I owe it to these companies that have left me messages to call them and explain I'm not interested or just not return their calls? I just don't understand how some of these places wait for a MONTH to contact people to arrange interviews.

Edited to add: One of the companies wants to do a phone interview. It's just hard for me to try to sell myself to a company when right now, I'm really really hoping I get this other job.

Edited by Banker Chick
I understand why you all would think I should still interview, but frankly, I'm not interested in doing so at this time. I already had a job offer earlier this week that I turned down because I really want to wait and see if I get this job. It was definitely a tough decision but I had to take the risk. I should be hearing either way any day now about the position I really want. I have the luxury of having some savings so I'm not under the gun to hurry up and get another job, especially one I'm not really all that excited about. The companies calling me now are ones that I had submitted resumes before I interviewed with the company from which I'm now hoping I get an offer.

My question was more along the lines of knowing that I'm not interested in setting up an interview, do I owe it to these companies that have left me messages to call them and explain I'm not interested or just not return their calls? I just don't understand how some of these places wait for a MONTH to contact people to arrange interviews.

Edited to add: One of the companies wants to do a phone interview. It's just hard for me to try to sell myself to a company when right now, I'm really really hoping I get this other job.

With the abundance of applicants, employers will move to the next candidate whether or not you respond. Employers don't always contact people they've interviewed even if they have promised a call. A non returned call just means you aren't interested.