College degrees & double majors--worth it?

I'm an adult student in my jr year of university. After I declared my major, I noticed a lot of classes overlapped with another department, it ends up that 4 extra classes will get a minor. I decided that's 1 extra class per semester, I can do that.

My advisor informed me that with another 4 classes, I could double major instead of doing the major/minor. He believes it's a no brainer. However, he has a PhD and is about the same age as me, I know he values higher education. He also mentioned the fact that if I ever decide to go back for a master's, this would make it easier. At this point I have no desire for a masters.

I don't know what to do. My husband doesn't even want me getting a minor ($$ & time), so for him the double major is out. Due to financial aid, I would have to add another semester.

Do employers look for double majors? Or would they rather have one degree with more internship/field work experience? Is it worth it?

Edited by SJS

What are the majors, if I can ask?

My ex had a double chemistry/biology. A combo like that (I wish I'd done it) is worth it, IMO.

My first degree (BS) was in chemistry. It helped me immensely when I went back to nursing school. I also found my background to lead me into more technical and pharmaceutical aspects of my nursing jobs.

• Author

Environmental science, 2nd major would be geology/environmental geosciences. That's why so many classes overlap.

My personal opinion? It sounds like an awesome combo. Is there ANY way you could get your husband to come around to it?

With the state of our earth, the environment, and our declining resources, you'll always work. I don't have a clue what employers would look for, but 'geo' sure stands out to me.

Do you know anyone in the field you can talk to? Potential employers?

OR, you could get the first degree, get on with a company that offers tuition reimbursement, and go back and pick up the other classes. It'll take longer, sure, and it may be difficult to find the higher level classes offered at night.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best!

• Like 1
  • Author

My advisor did say that there's no rush in deciding now, that I could wait until I'm just about finished with the original and then add on. My thought was if I did decide to do it, just wait until that point and just then flat out tell the hubby I'm doing it. lol

Right now the only people I know in the field are all professors (PhD's), so I think they all lean that way. I have been scoping out LinkedIn and potential companies that I might be interested in for the future. Would it be ok to email one of them?

• Author

Thanks for your insight!

I'm getting so much negativity from family & friends over going back to school as it is, so I have nobody to talk to!

• Like 1
My advisor did say that there's no rush in deciding now, that I could wait until I'm just about finished with the original and then add on. My thought was if I did decide to do it, just wait until that point and just then flat out tell the hubby I'm doing it. lol

Right now the only people I know in the field are all professors (PhD's), so I think they all lean that way. I have been scoping out LinkedIn and potential companies that I might be interested in for the future. Would it be ok to email one of them?

This would be my choice!! Absolutely.

"flat out tell the hubby I'm doing it"

What's the worst that can happen from emailing someone? They ignore you. Go for it!

Why the negativity from others? That's a shame. I didn't get negativity from family or friends when I went back for nursing at 35, but I sure did at home. It was part of my scheme to always be employable, if (okay, not if, when :) ), I divorced him. And yep, I flat out told him I was doing it. I worked my 40 hour a week job while I did it, so he sure couldn't complain about our income. It was the best decision I ever made (well, the education AND the divorce, LOL!)

• Like 2

Since those majors are related, I'd say it would be more useful than if they were unrelated.

I did an archaeology major with music and exercise science minors, and not one bit of it has been useful. I thought that being more multifaceted might come in handy, but it didn't.

I think your options have a much better chance of being useful for you.

• Like 1

Employers don't care if you have a major in something else besides what they need you to know. The advantage is that you have more opportunities to find employment because you have 2 skill sets.

Your majors are in sciences so it's good. If you were getting a double major in Romance Languages & Art History I don't think it matters that much in Liberal Arts.

• Like 3

I'm in your field. Geology as a major is more valuable than enviro science which is very general; not really a specialty to employers. I would say double major better than minor.

Since those majors are related, I'd say it would be more useful than if they were unrelated.

I did an archaeology major with music and exercise science minors, and not one bit of it has been useful. I thought that being more multifaceted might come in handy, but it didn't.

I think your options have a much better chance of being useful for you.

I had the opposite thought. Phoe's majors are largely unmarketable (no offense). They might be valuable as doctorates at a University, but I can't think of a single industry where this major/minor combo would be listed as a basic requirement of a job. Museums maybe.

OP's major/minor combo certainly couldn't hurt, but I can't imagine it helps much. The geosciences addition maybe gets you into upstream Oil and Gas where you might not get there without it, although they really like geologists.

Jobs directly related to OP's degree include:

• Environmental consultant
  • Environmental education officer
  • Environmental manager
  • Nature conservation officer
  • Recycling officer
  • Waste management officer
  • Water quality scientist

Jobs where your degree would be useful include:

• Environmental health practitioner
  • Landscape architect
  • Town planner
  • Toxicologist
  • Transport planner

But if you were to combine a law degree, or an MBA or Administration degree or some kind of engineering degree with what you've got, that probably opens up a whole new world of opportunity for you.

But that's just what I think. What does that advisor say about what you can do with that double major vs. what you can do with the single major? What is his practical advice about the difference? What do the guys at the career center say about it?

• Like 2

Another 4 classes is just one more semester, right? If that is the case, I would do it.

Is your husband justifiably concerned about finances? If you explained to him the long-term benefits of this, IMO he should be supportive, unless the two of you are in dire financial straits and you absolutely have to graduate ASAP due to that.

• Like 1
Eternal Sunshine

In my experience every bit of extra education helped with both, employment opportunities and higher salary. I would do a double major.

In my experience every bit of extra education helped with both, employment opportunities and higher salary. I would do a double major.

Interesting.

Maybe because you're in Upside Down Land ;) but I have found the exact opposite to be true for me, and those I hire.

Perhaps it's my industry but I need to see just that certain degree and that hot, hot portfolio.

• Like 1
Interesting.

Perhaps it's my industry but I need to see just that certain degree and that hot, hot portfolio.

You recruit models? :confused:

Can I send you my stepdaughter's portfolio? She's hot.

I think getting an advanced degree is better than two bachelors degrees.

Just make sure it's a worthy investment. Experience is more desirable IMO. A lot of recent grads aren't making enough to pay off their student loans, so I can under why your husband is a bit hesitant.

Edited by pink_sugar
  • Like 1
You recruit models? :confused:

Can I send you my stepdaughter's portfolio? She's hot.

No, I don't but yes, you can. :cool:

-----------

OP,

I like Els' idea of just finishing up since it's only one semester.

Brava on picking such interesting degrees.

Best of luck.

• Like 2
I had the opposite thought. Phoe's majors are largely unmarketable (no offense). They might be valuable as doctorates at a University, but I can't think of a single industry where this major/minor combo would be listed as a basic requirement of a job. Museums maybe.

None taken. Luckily my goal is to either work with a museum or a university. Pursuing a master's or doctorate in archaeology, and am considering a bachelors in education as well. I sadly got turned down by a museum for an entry level job, after looking like I would make it in. I just hoped that with 3 degrees, I'd at least be able to find a job that's more than $9/hr, but Nope. Nothing.

None taken. Luckily my goal is to either work with a museum or a university. Pursuing a master's or doctorate in archaeology, and am considering a bachelors in education as well. I sadly got turned down by a museum for an entry level job, after looking like I would make it in. I just hoped that with 3 degrees, I'd at least be able to find a job that's more than $9/hr, but Nope. Nothing.

Know exactly what you are talking about sadly. I turned to the dark side (marketing & sales, pays a hellovalot better) though I am secretly still trying and stydying for that what I want to do...

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks for all the replies! It's definitely giving me something to think about.

I'll try to answer everyone...

Midwest...re: negativity. Actually my friends are ok, it's my family. I've been a SAHM for the last 10 years. Everyone is worried about my kid now (she's got a medical issue that for the most part, she can take care of by herself). So there's that, and also the nasty comments..."why are you doing this? Can't you just get a job? I'm glad *I* don't need to do this..." etc. My husband is almost finished with his bachelors, so other than him, I will be the first one in my family with a college degree.

2nd tyme...actually in my college for env sci we have to pick an area of focus, so it's not a generic degree. I chose biodiversity & restoration, but I would have to switch it to water if I dbl mjr'ed in geo (that's where all the classes overlap). Then I could specialize in groundwater, runoff, etc.

Mightycpa...I checked into env engineering before and I'm just not interested, same with mba. I even had the dept head of econ trying to get me to minor with them and they were trying to sell all these different types of jobs, all office--I'd rather be in the field with minimal time in the office. In my area there are a ton of old gravel pits, mines, factories, etc. I'd like to get the land usable again and also make sure businesses aren't spilling chemicals. My advisor was the one who steered me this direction because he focused on the exact same thing at that stage in college. I have yet to talk to career services (I just talked to the advisor 2 days ago).

Elswyth...I'm getting fin aid right now and the plan is once I start working, I'll pay that off and then take care of the kid's college. At this point we're not paying anything, so it's not finances. It's because I'm "not fun anymore" because I spend all my free time with my nose in a book. lol

It's a touch decision (for me at least)! Thanks everyone!

CrystalCastles

Frankly I think your family is being a bit rude, no offense. Maybe I'm biased because I value education but I think there is nothing wrong with someone wanting to better themselves that way, and if anything it should be encouraged.

My boyfriend did a double major in biochem/chem. He's doing a masters in biological inorganic chemistry. Both majors turned out to be very useful in his field.

I'd say go for the second major. If you're not worried about money, then nothing should stop you, right? You never know when these skills will come in handy, and knowing more about your field never hurts. That's also something employers will consider. As for the job, well, maybe its nice to be paid minimum wage for some people, but you can be paid more with a good degree. Much more. Why limit yourself?

Best of luck!

In down under land these would be two useful skill sets because of the size of the resources industry. Both for consulting to and as skills required on site by companies.

So I would say go for it, but I have no idea what the job situation is like where you are located.