Facing Redundancy

I am facing my second redundancy in less than a year at the same company, and my employment will end possibly at the end of the year although we haven't been given a date yet because the job roles are going overseas and they need to train the new staff.

The first time I was lucky enough to be redeployed in a different role, although I was still doing 70% of the duties from my previous role which was Admin and HR tasks as well as my new role duties. My old duties were to be absorbed into the Secretarial role, unfortunately we didn't have one at the time and the Manager was happy to let me continue doing the tasks.

Second redundancies were announced and my new department is going, the manager now decides there needs to be a Secretary. I apply and I don't get the job, it goes to a colleague who doesn't have the knowledge and experience, which I now have to help train.

This is the second time this has happened, I previously applied for a Supervisor role and again I didn't get it, in fact I was actually told not to apply for it but I did anyway. Anyways I didn't get it and I had to help train the person who did.

I have applied for jobs elsewhere with no luck so far and I am going up against 100+ applicants for each one I have applied for.

Now, the Manager has now asked me if I would be interested in a position that is becoming available in a different department, it is less hours and less pay than what I am on now and I am paralyzed by not knowing what to do, before it was out of my hands and I was going but now I have a tough decision.

I asked for a trial period to see if the job was suitable but it was really so I would have more time to think it over. I don't want to regret my decision a couple on months down the line. The job itself I can do but I would probably become bored after a period of time.

When I first started 3 years ago I saw possibilities of progression but now I don't. I have gone through many short term jobs and periods of unemployment and this is the longest time I have been employed and it was suppose to be the beginning of a career and if I took the redundancy money I would be starting at square one again.

The option I am thinking is to accept the offer and continue to look for a better job, but if I do I know I am going to be irritated by the fact that I will be expected to carry on some of my old jobs roles and help the new secretary out, while on less pay.

My relatives say I should take the money and go. So, am I mad for even considering taking the new role, knowing I am only accepting it until I find something better.

• Like 1

I hear you, I have involuntary been in and out of jobs during most of the year. Either they were temp or the employers decided to go in another direction with business needs or etc. My current job pays less than I would like, but I don't want to voluntarily leave any more jobs this year as my last few jobs only lasted a few months. So I have to stick with this for at least a year before finding something else if there isn't any pay raise or opportunity for full time as I am 30 hours per week.

• Author
Why do you think management does not like you?

I have never felt that the management don't like, it's just a maddening, inefficient, confusing place. This is a global company that makes decisions that make no to little sense. I work at a satellite branch.

There has definitely been nepotism, the supervisor role I didn't get went to the god-daughter of one of the managers. She worked part-time and spent most of it talking on the phone to friends and she was on the same pay as me working full-time.

The feedback I got when I failed to get the Secretarial role, was that she was better suited for what the role would become. To me that is something I can't prepare for I don't have that information all I can do is prepare for what the job is now.

In the feedback he also said he knew her better but that is only because her original job allowed more interaction with the Manager and I had more interaction with the General Manager, which is now a redundant position.

My Manager also said, and this for me was strange and at no point did I think this was an issue up until this point, he said "that in now way was this an issue with not being a woman and I am sure there are many male Secretary's" This went on for a few minutes.

I am facing my second redundancy in less than a year at the same company, and my employment will end possibly at the end of the year although we haven't been given a date yet because the job roles are going overseas and they need to train the new staff.

The first time I was lucky enough to be redeployed in a different role, although I was still doing 70% of the duties from my previous role which was Admin and HR tasks as well as my new role duties. My old duties were to be absorbed into the Secretarial role, unfortunately we didn't have one at the time and the Manager was happy to let me continue doing the tasks.

Second redundancies were announced and my new department is going, the manager now decides there needs to be a Secretary. I apply and I don't get the job, it goes to a colleague who doesn't have the knowledge and experience, which I now have to help train.

This is the second time this has happened, I previously applied for a Supervisor role and again I didn't get it, in fact I was actually told not to apply for it but I did anyway. Anyways I didn't get it and I had to help train the person who did.

I have applied for jobs elsewhere with no luck so far and I am going up against 100+ applicants for each one I have applied for.

Now, the Manager has now asked me if I would be interested in a position that is becoming available in a different department, it is less hours and less pay than what I am on now and I am paralyzed by not knowing what to do, before it was out of my hands and I was going but now I have a tough decision.

I asked for a trial period to see if the job was suitable but it was really so I would have more time to think it over. I don't want to regret my decision a couple on months down the line. The job itself I can do but I would probably become bored after a period of time.

When I first started 3 years ago I saw possibilities of progression but now I don't. I have gone through many short term jobs and periods of unemployment and this is the longest time I have been employed and it was suppose to be the beginning of a career and if I took the redundancy money I would be starting at square one again.

The option I am thinking is to accept the offer and continue to look for a better job, but if I do I know I am going to be irritated by the fact that I will be expected to carry on some of my old jobs roles and help the new secretary out, while on less pay.

My relatives say I should take the money and go. So, am I mad for even considering taking the new role, knowing I am only accepting it until I find something better.

I would take the job if it is indeed on offer.

You will be hard pressed to get a job in this economy anytime soon, most people don't just fall into jobs these days after a couple of interviews like in the old days.....

You could work that job whilst you look for a better one. If you turn down a job, you may take months to find a new job and therefore will have ugly unemployment gaps, which you would then have to fill with volunteer work or something if you expect anyone to hire you again.

Take the lesser job and look for other work while you have a job.....