Horrible Interview

Since I apply for so many positions out of town I have had alot of phone interviews. 99.9% are SO awesome where I feel honestly I hit the mark on answering questions thoughtfully and thoroughly. I really DO feel I am well spoken, professional, study the companies, do not broach topics like days off, vacation or salary, do not use slang or badmouth former employers.

I had to step down from executive role 5 years ago due to a critically ill spouse but I stayed current and active in the field, worked alot and stayed patient that executive role would work out. I worked hard toward every opening but it was not to be. Not in my small city. I networked, friends, colleagues, linkedin, facebook, indeed...I stayed positive.... Finally, a friend helped me by recommending me to a job opening. I got the interview.

I had to pay for my own flight that I couldn't afford but I closed my eyes and bought ticket. I tried on every dress and suit in every store. Had a beautiful appropriate business attire PERFECT to fit the industry, resumes printed to provide and references lined up, My nails professionally done, researched the company through and through...loooked beautiful, put together, ready with any question that could come my way...I flew in to the city in the wee hours of the morning so excited and terrified if I had taken a later flight there might be a delay.

BUT...when the time finally came...and the interviewer was in front of me...he seemed annoyed, greeting me coldly and awkwardly, he was also in from out of town and was staying at the hotel where interviews were held. He was short, dry, cold and nearly mean...seemed he was going through the motions and I wanted to reach across the table and say I WANT THIS JOB and tell him my whole career and livlihood rested on this interview.

It was the PERFECT fit for my skills. Perfect.

But in the end...he sent a follow up after my thank you letter that said he had gone with another candidate. I just feel washed up and out of options. If I had known it would be this difficult to get my job back I would have never left but took a leave. I just couldn't think it through back tjen, my spouse was in icu and my blackberry was blowing up with phonecalls and emails and I truly couldn't focus. Now I.am about to be left behind as I have been teying for 5 years in every way possible and it just hasn't worked.

I dont want to go back to school, I don't have other aspirations. This was the field I loved that fulfilled every desire and dream of mine.

I thought this interview was it....just like I thought EVERY wonderful "nailed it" positive interview was it...but nothing ever came of ANY of them and I don't know how one continues hope...a few months...a year....thats one thing but 5 years and tons of trying, being patient, networking and working SO hard...it is just so disappointing my self esteem has hit rock bottom and where I was once at the TOP performing so well, I am now at the bottom and left behind. I will never understand. It hurts.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Edited for clarity.

I am so sorry to hear this happened to you and know what it's like to face constant disappointment. However, it can take many interviews to get a job and unless you're on the last step of the hiring process, don't spend a small fortune on travel to the first interview. Hang in there!

It takes most people well over ten interviews before landing a job.

It takes at least half of us 20 plus interviews to land a job.

I once got jobs immediately. I got jobs at the first interview without needing to go for more interviews.

Now I have gone for over ten interviews and nothing. It happens.

I earnt very good money for a small few years of my life and now I cannot even get a retail job. The economy sucks I promise, it's NOT you.

• Like 1

I know you were really psyched up for this and am sorry it didn't work out. But DO NOT GIVE UP.

There was a point where I was also going through a dry spell and ultimately hired a consulting firm who offered customized outplacement assistance and corporate transitioning.

It was really amazing, actually. For years, I nailed every interview and then I hit a dry spell. They analyzed my resume, conducted mock interviews (filmed), and literally re-worked me back into a more effective prospective employee.

I know you are hurting financially, but it seriously might be worth the investment to hire such a firm. I'm a seasoned professional and honestly believed there was nothing these people could teach me, but the proof was in the pudding the last the time I was on a job search and within six weeks had four different firms offering me jobs at the same time (whereas three months prior, I would interview with ten different firms and had no offers).

Chin up!

• Like 3
  • Author

I just think this guy was going through the motions to interview. I asked him alot of thoughtful questions about the company and his own position and success in the company. He seemed remiss to even answer those his answers were so blase.

But I was so ready and excited and prepared to shine.

I very rarely can get an in face interview so I took it so seriously. I am angry you knew a candidate flew in from another state on her own dime and he was just so passive.

It would be different if the positions didn't exist...but the EXIST...I just need someone to believe in me. I am prepared to work my heart out.

I cant afford a consultant true...but I won't give up.

Thanks for allowing me to vent. The self esteem of job interviewees can really suffer badly.

• Like 1

herself,

I have highly experienced professionals who cannot get jobs atm... the market is tough, they have had to even change careers.

My cousin was one of the leading Occupational Therapists in Sydney until she took time off to raise her kids. Now she simply cannot get a job and has had to work in childcare instead.

You sound very experienced and accomplished. It is so sad that many people just like you have to endure many interviews before obtaining employment.

I genuinely hope you can manage financially until the right employer will see how lucky they would be to take you on.

Good luck with it all, I am interviewing a lot lately too and rejection isn't fun:o

• Author
herself,

I have highly experienced professionals who cannot get jobs atm... the market is tough, they have had to even change careers.

My cousin was one of the leading Occupational Therapists in Sydney until she took time off to raise her kids. Now she simply cannot get a job and has had to work in childcare instead.

You sound very experienced and accomplished. It is so sad that many people just like you have to endure many interviews before obtaining employment.

I genuinely hope you can manage financially until the right employer will see how lucky they would be to take you on.

Good luck with it all, I am interviewing a lot lately too and rejection isn't fun:o

Thank you and good luck in your search.

I think we all miss the days when you could put on a suit, interview with an accomplished resume and get hired.

Its all political, confusing and drags on now.

I don't get it, I know many of us feel this way.

I've already taken a HEALTHY pay cut, reinvented, reworked and happily started at the bottom prepared to work my way up...

Seems when you've done it all right the efforts...BIG efforts would pay off. Not so.

• Like 1
Thank you and good luck in your search.

I think we all miss the days when you could put on a suit, interview with an accomplished resume and get hired.

Its all political, confusing and drags on now.

I don't get it, I know many of us feel this way.

I've already taken a HEALTHY pay cut, reinvented, reworked and happily started at the bottom prepared to work my way up...

Seems when you've done it all right the efforts...BIG efforts would pay off. Not so.

You sound like you did very well for yourself which is something to be proud of.

Unfortunately, ALL levels of management are having a hard time in finding work due to the sheer number of applicants.....

I tried to apply in person for a shoe store but they rolled their eyes and said " we have over 300 resumes to go through as it is, please come back next season, our HR department is tired as it is"

A lot of former professionals are all lining up to work in shoe stores, actually.

I know two of them that cannot get their old HR jobs so they have had to seek work in retail.

And they have had no luck in two or three months of solid looking.....

I got all my jobs so far by walking in for a resume and getting hired on the spot pretty much! I miss those days:(

I think the guy who interviewed you sounded unprofessional. Many people are lining up to take his job, and it is basic social etiquette to thank a person for FLYING to an interview! Surely any normal person with manners would think to thank an applicant that flew in, and mention that "wow, you seem eager!, tell me about what drove you to want the position so much!" Honestly, some people are so unprofessional in the dealings with people. Everyone is overworked, it's no excuse to suddenly lose your sense of interpersonal skills and manners!

Managers ALWAYS thank me for travelling two hours, or even one hour they normally thank me for taking the time to come in!

if he can be that much of an arse at an interview trust me he would have been that big an arse to work with...

Be glad you didn't get it and keep applying.

I have made it a rule that if I have doubts I don't go. Life is far too short to spend 8 hours a day (usually more) with people you don't like or doing something that causes stress.

I have stuck by that rule and now have 2 part time jobs I love. All 5 of my bosses are fantastic. I think I am one of the few who can honestly say that they really look forward to Mondays - hell I even have water fights with them and in depth conversations about Nerf guns and Zombies... We are all crinkly on the outside but young on the inside.

Don't let this one get you down. Keep at it gal you can do it! ;)

• Author

I wanted to thank you for the words of support.

It was so disheartening because I spent so much money to buy plane ticket, new suit, hair colored, nails done. I just really believed it was my big break.

He didn't ask any thoughtful questions or even challenging questions. It honestly felt inside like a candidate had been chosen already and he was going through the motions.

He was dressed extremely casually and nearly sloppy.

Its the beauty industry so there are artistic types, I get it but I was just so studied, prepared, excited, hopeful...it was a true let down and it's as I said, I waited for this break and worked hard for 5 years to get it back.

I won't give up, I just am SO prepared for my career to be back on track and I believed in this one so much. I am not alone as many of you pointed out so it's gonna be better to just stay hopeful and believe.

Dont take it as you weren't good enough, more than likely, like you said, they had already picked the person but had to legally interview others. I'm sorry he was so unprofessional :(

Good luck and I hope you find something soon!

Smthn_Like_Olivia

I'm not sure where you're located, but a lot of areas have recruiting firms. I have talked to a few in my search to relocate. They make money from the employer by getting you hired, so they work hard to find you a suitable position and sell you to the employer.

My recruiter told me that a lot of employers post positions to just go through the motions, but generally only interview the people the recruiters bring them.

This guy may have been having a bad day, and maybe he was annoyed at doing the interview as a favor for your friend? Who knows, but don't give up, and don't let this get you down. I think you have a good approach and will find something soon.

Hope Shimmers

Herself.... clearly you are intelligent, articulate, and educated. Actually there aren't that many people out there who present as intelligent and articulate as you.

I don't know what I would have done in your situation, but while reading it my thought was that - at the end of the interview - I would have stated that you want this job so much that you paid for the opportunity to interview and took the time to fly there on your own dime because you desired the opportunity that much. Then I would have asked questions about what the hiring process entails.

I tend to agree with the previous poster who said that you should count yourself lucky because working for such a person would be miserable. I know that's not all that helpful in your current situation though. Did you ask him (when he called to say he hired someone else) what criteria they were looking for that he did not feel you possessed?

I don't know your field of work of course, but I have confidence that someone with a brain out there will see that you are very intelligent from your communications and maturity and you will land a professional level job.

• Author
Herself.... clearly you are intelligent, articulate, and educated. Actually there aren't that many people out there who present as intelligent and articulate as you.

I don't know what I would have done in your situation, but while reading it my thought was that - at the end of the interview - I would have stated that you want this job so much that you paid for the opportunity to interview and took the time to fly there on your own dime because you desired the opportunity that much. Then I would have asked questions about what the hiring process entails.

I tend to agree with the previous poster who said that you should count yourself lucky because working for such a person would be miserable. I know that's not all that helpful in your current situation though. Did you ask him (when he called to say he hired someone else) what criteria they were looking for that he did not feel you possessed?

I don't know your field of work of course, but I have confidence that someone with a brain out there will see that you are very intelligent from your communications and maturity and you will land a professional level job.

Thank you, so far no luck with recruiters but will keep trying!

He didn't ask any thoughtful questions or even challenging questions. It honestly felt inside like a candidate had been chosen already and he was going through the motions.

He was dressed extremely casually and nearly sloppy.

I think they probably had given it to someone already.

I once went to an interview and they were so aggressive that I just wanted to walk out. They took an immediate dislike to me and that was that. It was awful. I was being polite so didn't walk out but I told them at the end that I had absolutely no interest in working for them. I hadn't taken flights but had driven 3 hours...

Good luck. I suspect this was a time wasting exercise to enable them to tick boxes. Keep at it - you will get there.

• Author

What an expensive lesson oh man.

I have a second interview this week via phone, then they will want a third face to face interview after that and then one with hr.

So many chances to blow it. Scares me but also I struggle with the low self esteem of so many other rejections.

Please send all your positive vibes my way.

That's awful that the interviewer was so dismissive during this process. I can't say I've ever experienced such unprofessionalism on an interview, however I will say this:

If you're going to relocate for a position, and you're dealing with flights, and hotel rooms, and going out of your way so immensely for a job interview... CONFIRM CONFIRM CONFIRM!

I would have called up this company and asked them straight out if they had a serious candidate already in mind, or if the job was already fulfilled even unofficially. I wouldn't have wanted to waste my time, their time, my money and have my hopes raised and torn to shreds on something with so much effort put into it.

• Author
That's awful that the interviewer was so dismissive during this process. I can't say I've ever experienced such unprofessionalism on an interview, however I will say this:

If you're going to relocate for a position, and you're dealing with flights, and hotel rooms, and going out of your way so immensely for a job interview... CONFIRM CONFIRM CONFIRM!

I would have called up this company and asked them straight out if they had a serious candidate already in mind, or if the job was already fulfilled even unofficially. I wouldn't have wanted to waste my time, their time, my money and have my hopes raised and torn to shreds on something with so much effort put into it.

He contacted ME for interview as someone on the recruiting end was sent my resume from a colleague. He confirmed time location etc. All the other questions maybe seem a little desperate and not confident. They cannot answer those questions until they have met all candidates in my opinion and do not have time to field a million questions from a candidate.

All anyone can do is prepare a million percent and go in and sell yourself the best you can.

He unfortunately was not prepared to be sold.

Sometimes it just doesn't work out but I am thankful I took the chance and in the end when I get my role I will be so thankful and appreciative of the long journey it took to get there and also work a million times harder for the company willing to believe in me!

• Like 1
What an expensive lesson oh man.

I have a second interview this week via phone, then they will want a third face to face interview after that and then one with hr.

So many chances to blow it. Scares me but also I struggle with the low self esteem of so many other rejections.

Please send all your positive vibes my way.

Is this regarding the unprofessional interviewer that you suspected was just going through the motions with you?

And Ugh I know, it is a long process with interview after interview...Really, It's not rocket science, a SKILLED HR professional should just "know" after an hour long interview whether or not a candidate can do the job well or if a tiny bit of training is necessary/if they want to avoid even one day or training or not for the right candidate?

For a job as style advisor for a major department store, whereby you have to try to sell designer clothes at the rate of 300 minimum per hour, I went to one group interview, I had one phone interview, and then one final interview which I knew I blew.

They don't me I was being interviewed for SHIFT SUPERVISOR and STYLE ADVISOR - for BOTH roles. I turned up and it was clear that they only wanted a style advisor - which I wasn't comfortable with, since I don't know how one sell 300 or more per hour of clothes when it may not be a busy time.

I also had a string of call centre interviews which lasted 2 - 4 HOURS - group interviews. Then I had to come back for the final round - ANOTHER four hours for a lousy call centre role:sick: They asked us questions like " if you were an animal, what would you be and why" :lmao: I had to excuse myself and say I didn't think the job was a good fit, good luck with the recruitment process and thanks for taking the time to meet with me.

^^^^^^^^I actually had a lot of other interviews to attend and my resume and cover letters seem to land me many interviews, or else I would have sucked it up and put up with being treated like a child if I was desperate to have to take the job....

I may live at home (purely to save for a mortgage by the day I graduate), but yeah, I still reserve the right to be treated like an adult in interviews..... the interviewer then went on to ask the next candidate what VEGETABLE he would rather be and WHY:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: I stuck to proper, professional interviews for adults after that stage - this job was for a call centre lol with " no experience required". I should have known better than to apply for such a job.... I just wanted some quick money until I found a decent role but even I couldn't stomach the childish questions!

I actually know several professionals who are in their 30's and briefly have to move back home during a year of unemployment -which has happened to every one of them in their lives... they have all lost a job at least once, and they soon ran out of money and had to move back home.

Good luck with your upcoming interviews! Nail them all, and let us know how it goes!

We both want to work so badly that we will definitely be so grateful once we get a job :)

I got a cleaning job to do in a nice caravan park which would work during Uni, now I just have to get a restaurant job for the nights.

At least you have graduated/or you are at least going for "good jobs" haha. Oh well, getting a degree is worth doing the crappy jobs temporarily!

I HAVE tried to go for a few good jobs too but none of them were Uni/college friendly, so it seems those waitressing jobs are all that will fit in with studies!

Edited by Leigh 87

Someone once told me all interview are an opportunity to practice and grow. That vegtable question is kinda of bizarre for a call center position, unless, the product required some creative expertise to enable the most successful communication in the position. Nonetheless, in creative field, a snappy answer to a surprise off-the-wall question, which I thought of immediately, (and actually enjoyed coming up with - even though I'm totally over educated, and, if I wanted to, could decide to be insulted by such inquiry), can be viewed as a measure of your diversive and artistic thinking skills on the spot. Are you going to say "I see myself as a lima-bean, one of many in an organization." OR, could you say, "I imagine myself as as an emerging winter squash - ready and waiting for my lovely colors, shape, aroma, and Beauty to emerge this fall season when I begin my work in tele-sales, the success of which is insprired by the ABC product line of ___, ___, and ___. I cannot wait to plant the seed!" Wammo! No one will be able to touch that! Why walk out - take it as a challenge. Yas