Jokes as weapons

Not a biggy bu I'd be interested on your thoughts on this...

We have a fairly laid back office, and we mostly get on. Obviously when a joke appears on email we share or tell it. However, when we tell each other jokes they are obviously jokes eg "here's one for you, horse goes into a bar. The barman says 'why the long face'"

But when T the works foreman tells us a joke (and he tells many of them). You are never forewarned that they are jokes. They are always told as if it is a real event as in "my friend called me..." "I was in the doctors..." "geoff next door hurt his hand...". He tells the joke deadpan, until the punchline.

The issue I have with this, is it feels as if he is getting one over on you. You never know if he is being serious or not. Whether the joke is good or bad isn't the point. It is as if for all the bonhomie he is catching you out. Laughing at your reaction when the penny drops.

I don't think there is a hidden agenda, I just find the 'is it or isn't it' a joke or something true aspect really irritating and demeaning to the person on the receiving end.

evanescentworld

I used to have a colleague exactly like him. Exactly.

I quickly learned to interrupt after the first line, with - "Stop! Is this a joke?" to which he would be obliged to respond either yes or no. That way, I knew whether to expect a punchline, or a story with a nondescript ending.

If you're not sure - ask. What's stopping you?

I used to have a colleague exactly like him. Exactly.

I quickly learned to interrupt after the first line, with - "Stop! Is this a joke?" to which he would be obliged to respond either yes or no. That way, I knew whether to expect a punchline, or a story with a nondescript ending.

If you're not sure - ask. What's stopping you?

But that would be a serious bummer, as it would ruin the joke.

How would you like it if someone stopped you amidst a joke that you wanted to share?

Some jokes are meant to laugh at life in general, even if some may find discomfort.

If you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, then you must be look the other direction.

evanescentworld
But that would be a serious bummer, as it would ruin the joke.

No, it never has.... He either says yes, to which I said - "Oh good, ok, go on...." and listened.

If he said no, I'd say, "Oh, right... sorry, go on...."

Never stopped a laugh....

How would you like it if someone stopped you amidst a joke that you wanted to share?

First, it was after the first few words, not mid-way. Secondly, it's happened to me too, and I've responded as above. never bothered me at all.

Some jokes are meant to laugh at life in general, even if some may find discomfort.

Yes.... and? What's your point?

[

If you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, then you must be look the other direction.

Ah, I see, you missed the point entirely. Ok....No problem.... :p

Professional comedians do this all the time. It's just the guy's style of joke-telling. I agree with you that there's no hidden agenda; no malicious intent, so I highly doubt that he's looking to "catch out" anybody, or is then laughing AT them when he's done telling his joke.

Best defense might be to just remind yourself that ANYTHING that comes out of his mouth MIGHT not be a true story or actual event.