"Can you let me know I didn't get the job?"

I had a job interview last Thursday... thought it went well but I knew there was competition. They told me they wanted to make a decision soon, and would be in touch by the middle of the next week. (In my mind, that meant by Wednesday, two days ago).

I haven't heard a peep. I'm disappointed, because I think I can safely assume I didn't get the job. But I also think they should be obligated to get back to me one way or the other. (This was a really drawn-out application process that started back in July. There's been a lot of correspondence and build-up).

If they don't do the right thing and communicate with me, what should I do? Thinking of sending an email but not sure how to phrase it.

I had a job interview last Thursday... thought it went well but I knew there was competition. They told me they wanted to make a decision soon, and would be in touch by the middle of the next week. (In my mind, that meant by Wednesday, two days ago).

I haven't heard a peep. I'm disappointed, because I think I can safely assume I didn't get the job. But I also think they should be obligated to get back to me one way or the other. (This was a really drawn-out application process that started back in July. There's been a lot of correspondence and build-up).

If they don't do the right thing and communicate with me, what should I do? Thinking of sending an email but not sure how to phrase it.

I've always followed up with a phone call. In your case I would have done it on Wednesday or Thursday, but it's never too late. Call today.

• Like 1
  • Author
I've always followed up with a phone call. In your case I would have done it on Wednesday or Thursday, but it's never too late. Call today.

Hmm, I feel like that's a little aggressive. I'd like to just shoot them a short email, I guess "checking in." I've written a couple drafts but they all sound kind of needy. I want a really professional tone.

I disagree that it's aggressive. It shows initiative. Those people that interviewed you are too busy to follow up with everybody. They have their jobs to do, as well as the work for the empty position, as well as trying to decide on a new employee. Calling reminds them of you.

I don't typically hire people that don't have the confidence to make a follow up phone call. An email shows that you lack that confidence.

• Like 1
  • Author
I disagree that it's aggressive. It shows initiative. Those people that interviewed you are too busy to follow up with everybody. They have their jobs to do, as well as the work for the empty position, as well as trying to decide on a new employee. Calling reminds them of you.

I don't typically hire people that don't have the confidence to make a follow up phone call. An email shows that you lack that confidence.

Agree with what you're saying, but I've also heard the exact opposite sentiment: That being all "up in their face" comes across as demanding and confrontational.

They obviously have their reasons for not getting back to me. It's also possible (though not likely, IMO) that their decison-making process is taking longer than they anticipated.

• Like 1
Agree with what you're saying, but I've also heard the exact opposite sentiment: That being all "up in their face" comes across as demanding and confrontational.

They obviously have their reasons for not getting back to me. It's also possible (though not likely, IMO) that their decison-making process is taking longer than they anticipated.

I can understand why you think that and you know the company you applied for better than I do, so the decision is ultimately yours.

But I'll say these two things:

One follow up phone call 7 days after the interview is not being all up in their face.

I once had an interview with a very well known firm and didn't hear anything for about four days. When I called to follow up, they thanked me for calling because they had been too busy and had forgotten about me. I ended up getting the job and worked there for four years. It has been a major boost to my career.

With that experience I am highly in favor of the follow up phone call. And now that I do hiring myself, I look for people with the confidence to make a quick call rather than waste time with email.

Good luck!

• Like 1

If you're uncomfortable calling (I would be) send an email. Just say you really enjoyed your interview, you are very interested in the position and you just wanted to follow up and see where they are at in the decision making process.

It's not needy. It's normal!

• Like 1

A call or an email is appropriate. Many companies interview and don't make immediate decisions because someone goes on vacation or other reasons. They may be still holding interviews. I know when I did interviewing, time between the first interview and the last interview could easily be a week.

Here is a followup...

Dear (Name):

Just wanted to follow up with an inquiry about our interview last Thursday. I enjoyed meeting with you and discussing the open position. Have you made your final decision regarding who is best for your needs?

While I feel that I am the best candidate (based on a reason), I can understand if you might have found someone else. When you have some time, could you let me know what you decided?

Thanks again for considering me. I appreciate the opportunity to have discussed your needs and how I can fulfill them.

Sincerely,

Standard-Fare

I am sure that the above could be changed, but it was a quick off the cuff example of what a follow up email might look like. Personally, I always sent out a thank you letter if I was really interested in a position within a few days. A week later is not too late for an email IMO.

• Like 1

I think at this stage it's perfectly reasonable to follow it up.

They gave you a deadline after all.

I would go with a phone call though as I agree to an extent that a mail can sound a little needy somehow.

With a call you are more likely to get a faster answer also.

There were two four times in my life that I took the opportunity to 'say' something rather than sit back and wait.

All of them paid off for me. :)

• Author

I ended up sending a very short follow-up email this morning. I didn't have the balls for the phone call.

At least they know I'm looking for an update.

I'm a bit miffed that they haven't communicated at all. It's a very small company, and, as I said, I've been involved in this hiring process since July.

• Like 2
I ended up sending a very short follow-up email this morning. I didn't have the balls for the phone call.

I'm a bit miffed that they haven't communicated at all. It's a very small company, and, as I said, I've been involved in this hiring process since July.

Move on to other prospects. Sometimes employers just aren't in any hurry to fill a position or they sometimes decide not to fill the position.

• Like 1
  • Author

I'm glad I sent it. They actually responded fairly quickly with an update, telling me they haven't yet made a decision but hope to do so this week. They also said they appreciated that I reached out.

I do think if they were serious about hiring me, they'd already be having some conversations to negotiate salary, etc. ... my sense is they've already started that process with another candidate and are waiting until everything's set in stone. So I don't have my hopes up, but at least they're communicating.

You have the right mindset.

Stay positive. You could very well be the one they want.

I wish you the best.

Ps: firms not communicating back are indeed hell...I know that experience too well. Next time don't be afraid to call at all. It is not agressive if they gave you a deadline. Having said that I'm very much like you and I've chosen mail in the past too.

I'm glad I sent it. They actually responded fairly quickly with an update, telling me they haven't yet made a decision but hope to do so this week. They also said they appreciated that I reached out.

I do think if they were serious about hiring me, they'd already be having some conversations to negotiate salary, etc. ... my sense is they've already started that process with another candidate and are waiting until everything's set in stone. So I don't have my hopes up, but at least they're communicating.

It sounds exactly as they said. They haven't made a decision probably because they are in no hurry to fill the position. If they've moved forward, most likely they would have told you as such.

Edited by pink_sugar

I definitely agree that people should be told they didn't get the job. Even if they haven't got through to an interview, an email isn't that hard to send!

However, I've heard success stories where people haven't heard, called to chase up and then were offered the job because they were clearly keen. Could be worth a go sometime!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My experience is that they don't discuss salary until the offer has been made. So if they have not made a decision, they will not discuss those things.

I had a friend who had a month or two between interview and offer because the team could not get together in one place to discuss it!

• Like 1

Unfortunately things come up and positions aren't filled as quickly as everyone would desire. Glad you followed up and keep following up at a reasonable rate. Like someone else said it shows initiative as well as your interest in the position. That is good. :D

We have had as much as 2 months go between the beginning of the search and filling it. Just because of the players involved, other issues going on and people's travel schedules.

thefooloftheyear

As an employer, it never hurts when someone calls and follows up...Things happen....In my business, you make or break yourself in just a few days...so sometimes hirees fail to stand up to our expectations so we go in a different direction quickly...If you happen to call at the time when that new hire wasnt working out you would stand a good chance to get the position if you were qualified, because it saves me the time of going back over the resumes and trying to remember the people that interviewed...

Go for it..:)

TFY

• Like 1

My company is a big company and it takes anywhere from 2-9 months from application to start date. Glad you followed up - especially via email. People tend to respond faster to email than voicemail and for some, email is more "comfortable" if negative news needs to be relayed. Not saying your answer will be negative! Also having an email in an inbox tends to remind people to follow up.

I too think it is very unprofessional to not let a person who has interviewed know the status of their application. Guarantee if they were in your shoes, they'd want an answer!

Good luck!

You have no idea how many times I've hired someone who I knew IMMEDIATELY I would hire and they wouldn't even get the offer until maybe 2 weeks later. So much red tape, email traffic, offers, and other crap get tossed around that it is RIDICULOUS.

I wish I could just hand people a desk sometimes, but it doesn't work that way.

I once tried to hire someone and let the HR person know... oh, HR person went on vacation for a week to Mexico.

Poor guy that I wanted to hire had to wait the whole time without any semblance of a clue even though I knew 5 minutes after that he had the job, but lack of communication between departments led to him having a nail-biting weekend while Ms. HR was living it up in Mexico.

Point is: Sometimes it happens. Sometimes they DO offer someone else the job and it gets turned down by that person and then you have to shift focus to another person and then more emails and red tape and crap.

Sometimes it's HR, sometimes it's the other candidates, sometimes it's the department.

I know what it is like to have to wait... it sucks, just be patient and keep your head up.

• Like 1
My company is a big company and it takes anywhere from 2-9 months from application to start date. Glad you followed up - especially via email. People tend to respond faster to email than voicemail and for some, email is more "comfortable" if negative news needs to be relayed. Not saying your answer will be negative! Also having an email in an inbox tends to remind people to follow up.

I too think it is very unprofessional to not let a person who has interviewed know the status of their application. Guarantee if they were in your shoes, they'd want an answer!

Good luck!

Exactly, email doesn't stop someone from what they are doing which is why it's the best way to follow up