LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

"Can you let me know I didn't get the job?"

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st October 2014, 12:14 PM   #16
Established Member

My experience is that they don't discuss salary until the offer has been made. So if they have not made a decision, they will not discuss those things.

I had a friend who had a month or two between interview and offer because the team could not get together in one place to discuss it!
MJTig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 3:02 PM   #17
Established Member

Unfortunately things come up and positions aren't filled as quickly as everyone would desire. Glad you followed up and keep following up at a reasonable rate. Like someone else said it shows initiative as well as your interest in the position. That is good.

We have had as much as 2 months go between the beginning of the search and filling it. Just because of the players involved, other issues going on and people's travel schedules.
Got it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 8:38 PM   #18
Established Member

As an employer, it never hurts when someone calls and follows up...Things happen....In my business, you make or break yourself in just a few days...so sometimes hirees fail to stand up to our expectations so we go in a different direction quickly...If you happen to call at the time when that new hire wasnt working out you would stand a good chance to get the position if you were qualified, because it saves me the time of going back over the resumes and trying to remember the people that interviewed...

Go for it..

TFY
Old 1st October 2014, 9:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard-Fare View Post
I ended up sending a very short follow-up email this morning. I didn't have the balls for the phone call.

At least they know I'm looking for an update.

I'm a bit miffed that they haven't communicated at all. It's a very small company, and, as I said, I've been involved in this hiring process since July.
My company is a big company and it takes anywhere from 2-9 months from application to start date. Glad you followed up - especially via email. People tend to respond faster to email than voicemail and for some, email is more "comfortable" if negative news needs to be relayed. Not saying your answer will be negative! Also having an email in an inbox tends to remind people to follow up.

I too think it is very unprofessional to not let a person who has interviewed know the status of their application. Guarantee if they were in your shoes, they'd want an answer!

Good luck!
jellybean89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2014, 3:34 PM   #20
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard-Fare View Post
I'm glad I sent it. They actually responded fairly quickly with an update, telling me they haven't yet made a decision but hope to do so this week. They also said they appreciated that I reached out.

I do think if they were serious about hiring me, they'd already be having some conversations to negotiate salary, etc. ... my sense is they've already started that process with another candidate and are waiting until everything's set in stone. So I don't have my hopes up, but at least they're communicating.

You have no idea how many times I've hired someone who I knew IMMEDIATELY I would hire and they wouldn't even get the offer until maybe 2 weeks later. So much red tape, email traffic, offers, and other crap get tossed around that it is RIDICULOUS.

I wish I could just hand people a desk sometimes, but it doesn't work that way.

I once tried to hire someone and let the HR person know... oh, HR person went on vacation for a week to Mexico.

Poor guy that I wanted to hire had to wait the whole time without any semblance of a clue even though I knew 5 minutes after that he had the job, but lack of communication between departments led to him having a nail-biting weekend while Ms. HR was living it up in Mexico.

Point is: Sometimes it happens. Sometimes they DO offer someone else the job and it gets turned down by that person and then you have to shift focus to another person and then more emails and red tape and crap.

Sometimes it's HR, sometimes it's the other candidates, sometimes it's the department.

I know what it is like to have to wait... it sucks, just be patient and keep your head up.
Diezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2014, 12:02 AM   #21

always follow up by email first and then voicemail second so you don't come off as aggressive.
FBSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2014, 1:53 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybean89 View Post
My company is a big company and it takes anywhere from 2-9 months from application to start date. Glad you followed up - especially via email. People tend to respond faster to email than voicemail and for some, email is more "comfortable" if negative news needs to be relayed. Not saying your answer will be negative! Also having an email in an inbox tends to remind people to follow up.

I too think it is very unprofessional to not let a person who has interviewed know the status of their application. Guarantee if they were in your shoes, they'd want an answer!

Good luck!

Exactly, email doesn't stop someone from what they are doing which is why it's the best way to follow up
FBSN is offline   Reply With Quote