New job: bait & switch!

My husband recently got a new job which was a huge step up from his last one. Because we were moving to a smaller city, he took a pay cut. This was fine at the time because I really just wanted to get out of the city, and it was actually a good career move for him despite less money.

So now he's been on the job for over a month and turns out he has a lot more responsibility than they originally said he would have. He's perfectly capable of fulfilling these responsibilities, and he's doing so quite well, but now we're realizing that he is sorely underpaid!

They said the job required certain skills (which were actually below his ability) and he'd work alongside someone who was more experienced.

The reality is that he actually is the only person working this position and there is a more senior employee at another location, but they have little contact and do not collaborate much. Furthermore, the role requires A LOT more technical expertise than originally stated (which he has), AND he's responsible for managing another employee!

He's currently employed through a recruitment agency, but the company is extremely happy with him and said they're going to hire him directly soon.

So, what to do once he gets the offer? The original amount he agreed to is WAY lower than the responsibilities he has now.

I'm thinking he should re-negotiate his salary, but we don't know how to go about it because it's a non-profit organization and not exactly swimming in money.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

You can't get blood out of a stone. If they are non profit, where do you think the extra money will come from.

If he's inclined, of course he should try to get more money but what can you do if the organization doesn't have it?

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with asking for higher pay based on his experience. At that time, depending on whether or not they can provide a raise, he can decide if he wants to move forward with the offer or perhaps ask the agency to find him something else with a higher salary.

Something similar happened to me recently when I left a job I'd had for seven years for a new position that seemed like a step up. Once I was in, I soon realized that I had been deceived about my role and responsibilities. I tried talking to my boss several times, and to no avail. After 3 weeks, I was presented with a contract with a lot of stipulations that had never been discussed beforehand. I told my boss that I could not sign the contract until my concerns were addressed and things changed. The only consolation he offered me was a comp day for having worked a lot of OT on a side project that actually had nothing to do with my job. That was when I made the decision to decline the contract and leave.

I'm not suggesting that your H is in the position to do the same, but he should speak with the recruitment agency as well as a supervisor or superior. That may be the most he can do. If it falls in deaf ears, he may just want to stick it out, but seek another position in the meantime.

Edited by mercuryshadow

I don't know why companies do this. It pays absolutely nothing to have an otherwise good employee get embittered once he realizes that he's getting screwed. I'm pretty upfront with my interviewees - probably more so than what the idiot management above me would prefer. But I know that it's a waste of my time if someone's going to be pissed off about not getting what he/she thinks going into a job. I'd rather find out within a day or two whether someone's okay with occasional off-the-clock work, which there often is in my field. I don't pull any punches. I don't undersell ourselves either, but I tell the hard truth. Companies that do the opposite deserve to fail, which they eventually do in one form or another, at one time or another.

OP, renegotiation of salary now is probably not going to work until and unless your hubby has already compiled a proven track record of some kind of measurable success. Unfortunately, that's hard to come by in not-for-profit (I worked in that sector as a manager for several years). The only kind of leverage he'd have is another job offer, and even if he were to get a raise, staying once that's been put out in the open is awkward to say the least. NPO's also tend to be political and they have long memories and would probably get revenge on him at some point. Honestly, if it were me, I'd just find another employer that values him more and make them pay for not being straight up.

Edited by Fugu
  • Like 2

If he's currently employed via an agency, they'll be taking a cut. So whatever the company is paying for (salary + agency fees) could go on just salary once he's employed directly. Use that as a bargaining tool.

I don't know why companies do this. It pays absolutely nothing to have an otherwise good employee get embittered once he realizes that he's getting screwed. I'm pretty upfront with my interviewees - probably more so than what the idiot management above me would prefer. But I know that it's a waste of my time if someone's going to be pissed off about not getting what he/she thinks going into a job. I'd rather find out within a day or two whether someone's okay with occasional off-the-clock work, which there often is in my field. I don't pull any punches. I don't undersell ourselves either, but I tell the hard truth. Companies that do the opposite deserve to fail, which they eventually do in one form or another, at one time or another.

OP, renegotiation of salary now is probably not going to work until and unless your hubby has already compiled a proven track record of some kind of measurable success. Unfortunately, that's hard to come by in not-for-profit (I worked in that sector as a manager for several years). The only kind of leverage he'd have is another job offer, and even if he were to get a raise, staying once that's been put out in the open is awkward to say the least. NPO's also tend to be political and they have long memories and would probably get revenge on him at some point. Honestly, if it were me, I'd just find another employer that values him more and make them pay for not being straight up.

Pretty sure that requiring an employee to work off the clock is illegal. Employees must be paid for services and time rendered.

• Like 2
Pretty sure that requiring an employee to work off the clock is illegal. Employees must be paid for services and time rendered.

If he's in a managerial capacity, chances are that he's exempt from overtime rules. Nothing illegal about it, provided that they're following the rules for salary vs. hourly. You actually can require an employer to pay OT to exempt employees under specific circumstances, but those are rare.

I think the best thing in a situation like this is for the employee to fire the employer for not dealing straight. Try to leave gracefully, if it's possible. If it's not possible, try to cultivate good relationships with management and try to establish some give-n-take.

If he's in a managerial capacity, chances are that he's exempt from overtime rules. Nothing illegal about it, provided that they're following the rules for salary vs. hourly. You actually can require an employer to pay OT to exempt employees under specific circumstances, but those are rare.

I think the best thing in a situation like this is for the employee to fire the employer for not dealing straight. Try to leave gracefully, if it's possible. If it's not possible, try to cultivate good relationships with management and try to establish some give-n-take.

If they are a manager, they MUST be paid for time put in. It's 100% illegal to require that an employee work without pay. It's also illegal to not pay an hourly worker overtime. I was involved in a class action lawsuit with a previous employer for violating both of these laws.

If they are a salary employee, then they are not working off the clock.