LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Feeling Like You Could Nail The Interview If You Had Your Time Over?

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd September 2014, 2:50 PM   #61
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh 87 View Post
The scary thing is, I am not sure just how wrong interviews go. It could be really bad for all I know.....
That is why we are all trying to get details out of you..so we can help you pick it apart and put it back together.

[quote]
I will definitely do mock interviews. I know a former recruiter next door who I am amiable with.[.quote] use this ex recruiter rather than the one who likes you for mock interviews. They will be less biased.

Quote:
Although my Aunts cannot seem to find work
They are all older than you.
You are in different leagues job wise. Also what they do for a living may be overpopulated in Aus.
My brother...I've told you a wee bit about him. He is a teacher..in Queensland and loves it..only did all the studying for teaching in his late 30's/early 40's.
He got a history degree back when he was 22 but at a Polytechnic wich was not seen as equal to a university.
He was a postman for a couple of years. worked for trading standards in London for a while was unemployed on and off for a long time some times and went back to being a postman.

When he was studying to be a teacher he had my wee niece to look after and my Dad was sick so me and my brother shared Dad's care.

When he got to Aus he could not find a job. Comparatively my sis in law had no problem finding work. 4 years before they had lived in Sydney for a couple of years and my sis in law worked under the report of the Mayor of Sydney in that time..how she wangled that we still don't know!

My bro too his lack of employment on the chin and opted for all he could go for..I'm sure you know that that only option for new teachers is in the Bush.
It was 6 months with only one trip home to see my sis in law and niece.
He found himself in a village with one ramshackle street where alcohol was illegal.
...they made some seriously harsh and potent home brew there! He sampled it! Emphasis there on sampled...it was way too strong for my brother!

The school he worked in in the Bush. All new Aussie teachers have to go to the same kind of places. The reason is that the school picks you. you don't get a choice.
There's things I would not want to say about it. This was a very poor village.
It had villagers who didn't know better as they had always lived there (you can only learn when there is change - it's the same for us all)
One thing I have to say here is that I have an aboriginal friend Iaan I pronounced Yayan). I am no racist at all (my brother is so unracist he puts me to shame.
Me and my brother both love Aus!
One day. sometime, I would love to go there....love to!

Quote:
So I will just ask family, friends, whoever is keen to help!
Do this! It's networking!
GemmaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2014, 10:50 PM   #62
Established Member

Sigh.

It's so upsetting going for interviews and never getting an offer.

Oh well I have an interview tomorrow at an optometry shop to be a retail assistant.

It's just so gut wrenching how it feels like everyone else just attends one or would interviews and then gets the job when you attend 20 plus interviews and don't get a single job.

I honestly feel like I'm not doing anything that awful. I don't believe I'm that bad at interviews. God willing, I have had so much practice.......

I am still positive that I'll get " that call" but honestly at this rate it feels like it could take a other year or more before I actually get the job.

I will definitely arrange mock interviews at this stage.

I'm quiet upset on a daily basis over getting interviews yet feeling like I'm never the one to get a job, despite preparing, giving clear and to the point a sword and generally trying my best to be pleasant and just myself.

I see people daily how work in retail and I strongly believe I am just as good as them...like, I believe I would give just as good service to customers.

I think I'm in for a long ride.
Leigh 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 12:17 AM   #63
Established Member

Quote:
Sigh.

It's so upsetting going for interviews and never getting an offer.

Oh well I have an interview tomorrow at an optometry shop to be a retail assistant.

It's just so gut wrenching how it feels like everyone else just attends one or would interviews and then gets the job when you attend 20 plus interviews and don't get a single job.

I honestly feel like I'm not doing anything that awful. I don't believe I'm that bad at interviews. God willing, I have had so much practice.......

I am still positive that I'll get " that call" but honestly at this rate it feels like it could take a other year or more before I actually get the job.

I will definitely arrange mock interviews at this stage.

I'm quiet upset on a daily basis over getting interviews yet feeling like I'm never the one to get a job, despite preparing, giving clear and to the point a sword and generally trying my best to be pleasant and just myself.

I see people daily how work in retail and I strongly believe I am just as good as them...like, I believe I would give just as good service to customers.

I think I'm in for a long ride.
Pointing of swords is likely to be an issue

It's pretty obviously you're not interviewing as well as you think, otherwise, like you say, you'd have a job by now.
Look into some legitimate groups that can assist you with interview techniques. NOT friends or family, not even acquaintances. You need an unbiased opinion.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 12:52 AM   #64
Established Member

I know I am obviously not a good interview, but I simply don't believe I am bad.

Plenty of non crappy interviewees don't get jobs.
Old 25th September 2014, 12:54 AM   #65
Established Member

Well, who can I find if not friends or family?

Should I politely call prior interviewers and ask them simply " look, I am not having any success with my interviews, may I please ask for some honest feedback as to how I can improve?
Old 25th September 2014, 12:58 AM   #66
Established Member

Job centres have not helped me.

They always say " great, you are fabulous, you interview just FINE, it is just a numbers game"

LOL.

They are also too overworked with people who are destitute and need serious help that they don't have time for people like me are not "beyond help" or "hopeless"

I have tried reaching out for help at employment groups. Because I am an online student, they say " you are not on job seekers allowance so we cannot help you at all, sorry, it is against policy"

I didn't take no for an answer and found a woman willing to help but she is only available once day per week which is not always a time I am free due to constant interviews I seem to have.

She agreed to help me so I will spend one on one time with her when I can, but she is biased too as she "likes me" and just says how great I am also. Like WTF I am NOT great or I WOULD HAVE A JOB

My mum is always willing to help me, she would pay for me to see a professional who makes a living in fixing peoples interviewing skills.
Old 25th September 2014, 1:07 AM   #67
Established Member

Are all 3 of those posts responses to me?

Anyway.. just Google 'interview coaching Sydney'. that brings up a few results.
Old 25th September 2014, 1:27 AM   #68
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani View Post
Are all 3 of those posts responses to me?

Anyway.. just Google 'interview coaching Sydney'. that brings up a few results.

I am just frustrated with the job centres, surely they can't quickly give you a mock interview and quickly determine " okay, you are not pleasant, you need to do this and this better"

I will check out the interview coaching, I hope they are legit and they are actually former recruiters themselves........
Old 25th September 2014, 1:28 AM   #69
Established Member

Isn't it normal for most people to have to go to up to 20 interviews before getting a job?

I hear a lot of people seemingly having no luck.

I mean, we cannot all be that perky, attractive person who is "inherently" likable?
Old 25th September 2014, 1:32 AM   #70
Established Member

Quote:
I am just frustrated with the job centres, surely they can't quickly give you a mock interview and quickly determine " okay, you are not pleasant, you need to do this and this better"

I will check out the interview coaching, I hope they are legit and they are actually former recruiters themselves........
Well you don't really have another option here, do you?
What you are doing and who you've been speaking to clearly isn't doing you any favours. It's time to take a risk on the professionals.

Quote:
Isn't it normal for most people to have to go to up to 20 interviews before getting a job?

I hear a lot of people seemingly having no luck.

I mean, we cannot all be that perky, attractive person who is "inherently" likable?
Interviews are not always about being '"inherently" likeable', they are also about skill, knowledge, presentation, communication... the list goes on.
Old 25th September 2014, 1:39 AM   #71
Established Member

I called a professional interview coach.

She charges 150 per HOUR

She purports to have been working in recruitment for 25 years.

I am going to call around to ask about other prices.

She said my phone manner was great lol, but that she would be really honest with my in person interview skills.

She claims that for every ten interviews, I should have gotten two offers by this point

"normal" and competent people apparently get an offer every 4 interviews or so, and those who don't are, well, quiet frankly: off putting, unpleasant and undesirable to employers.
Old 25th September 2014, 1:42 AM   #72
Established Member

Quote:
I called a professional interview coach.

She charges 150 per HOUR

She purports to have been working in recruitment for 25 years.

I am going to call around to ask about other prices.

She said my phone manner was great lol, but that she would be really honest with my in person interview skills.

She claims that for every ten interviews, I should have gotten two offers by this point

"normal" and competent people apparently get an offer every 4 interviews or so, and those who don't are, well, quiet frankly: off putting, unpleasant and undesirable to employers.
All very true.
Call around to see if anyone offers lower prices, but if not it may well be worth trying to round up the cash to go see this lady. Do some research on her if you're unsure.
Old 25th September 2014, 2:13 AM   #73
Established Member

No she sounds very we outgoing and professional, someone I would trust for such a service. She runs coaching groups.

All places change 150 or more.

I spoke to another lady. It she spoke very slowly and I wasn't as impressed by her although she sounded nice.

I have an appointment on the week that I get paid. I'm seeing a professional interview coach.

She was even kind enough to tell me to call her tomorrow after my interview at the optimists place to tell her the questions and how I answered.

I really hope I can be helped. I always regarded myself as a pleasant and desirable enough person since I don't have trouble making friends with decent people and many guys told me that I had a desire demeanour hence the dating options.

I don't think inherently just an unpleasant person.

I just think I get too nervous at interviews to come off as competent and ideal for any given role........

I think.it's definitely as down to my nerves.

I'll find out in two weeks once I have my hour long interview skills session

I feel a but ashamed of myself that I have to resort to getting help when evryone else normally just goes to an interview or two and gets the job.

Surely there are perfectly pleasant and competent seeming people who just don't get jobs easily due to the job market?????????
Old 25th September 2014, 4:20 AM   #74
Established Member

Quote:
I did not. But it depends on what you are interviewing for. If you are interviewing for jobs with a low barrier (no degree, no experience, no specific skills needed) then yes I would imagine people would go through that many. It's about supply and demand.

When does your college course start?
Old 25th September 2014, 6:22 AM   #75
Established Member

((HUGS)).

I mentioned breathing back a few pages ago so I've been to look up some descriptions for you which are way better than I can give. For each of these first two videos don't forget to let your breath back in before you speak.

These first two are similar and very quick ways to feel calm and release facial tension:
QUICK TIP TO BE CALM & CONFIDENT with Alexander Technique expert Sharon Jakubecy - YouTube

How to stay calm under pressure - YouTube

Your interview instructor lady said what was it....4 offers in each 10 or 20?
Hmmm....I think that is damn high for the job market as it stands where you are and in the UK for the kind of jobs you are going for.
That ex lodger of mine (and this is related to those that first video above). She must have gone on around 40 interviews over months after she quit the call centre.
She had done all kinds of roles, she could totally switch on a bright smiling facial expression and she was bright, smart, enthusiastic etc.
She did eventually get a job at the women's fitness centre but she had a tough time searching.

She ended up moving out (that is a whole other story) but I bumped into a neighbour friend of mine a few weeks after she left and he said something which could well be relevant to her lack of interview success.
He said to me 'She was scary! Every time I saw her she looked like she was about to murder someone!'
I know exactly the look he meant, it was actually her nerves showing through but it was actually nerves and her jaw clenched just like in that first video up there.
She got very very nervous before any interview and also before any date she had. She would need the toilet 6-8 times in the hour running up to either of those situations.
I have a set (awful looking) clenched up face look too and I regularly relax it.
For us ladies it's perfectly acceptable to dig a mirror out of our handbag when waiting for an interview- and you can check if your face is clenched and relax it and then remember that relaxed feeling in those muscles and keep doing it when you feel tense.

This video is longer but really interesting plus also really easy to use and put into practice:
How To Be Confident - Overcome Fear and Anxiety in Seconds | Josh Pais - YouTube

While watching it I realised that I naturally do pretty much what the guy here is explaining before during and after interviews and first dates/meets.
When I am on the way to either I actually totally wipe out any thoughts about the situation I am about to be in. I avoid rehearsing, avoid thinking about the company (or guy), avoid any thoughts - because it calms me down.
I've been sitting here thinking about previous interviews and first dates and I have a vivid memory of the setting, a pot plant in reception, the man at the bar who served us, who else was in the same location, the weather that day and my journey to the interview or date.
If you watch the video you will understand why I have such vivid clear recollections of those things.

IF I do ever feel like nerves are getting the better of me I DO say so at interviews or dates. I make a joke of it. If I do something dumb like pull a door when it clearly states 'PUSH'. I laugh at myself and tell who I am with 'OK, try not to laugh...that was my interview nerves and I am clearly just unable to read today! Lol!'

OK, on to mock interviews.
No mock interview will ever promote in you the nervousness you feel at an actual interview. The absolute ONLY way that a mock interview could help with nerves is if you didn't know the interview was a mock interview.
Due to that any mock interview you will sail through - because you are not holding it in as high regard and as important as a real interview.

On the other hand breaking down exactly what happened after an interview is a better way to find out if it is nerves but to accurately break it down you need to think about the feelings you felt through that interview too.

I think that you sail through phone interviews because your mind doesn't have enough time and space in it to be nervous - when on a call the voice you hear is kinda getting right into your mind - it's fast and flowing and you don't have time for your mind to come up with all of the negatives (as in that third video).

Any of the things in those videos can be used at any time at all - even when you are at home watching tv - the more you do them in a day the more you will remember them and have them to fall back on.

Leigh, answer me a couple of questions.
Do you ever get nervous on dates?
Ever as nervous as when you go for an interview?
I bet that you don't but I want to know.
GemmaUK is offline   Reply With Quote