Accidentally hit my co-worker, followed by WWIII

Crump's Brother

I accidentally hit my co-worker today. Not with a fist. Or a hammer. Or a forklift. I hit him with a crumpled up piece of paper. It was actually a sticker, or in our warehouse terms, a license plate. I thought I needed it, but when I realized it wasn't needed after all, I crumpled it up and attempted to toss it into a nearby garbage can. The ball stuck to my hand during the first attempt to toss it. I flicked my hand in a downward motion and the sticker-ball came loose and happened to hit a co-worker of mine in the back.

I've always had a joking around, buddy-buddy sort of relationship with most of my crew. Everybody does, with everybody. I couldn't count how many times somebody accidentally grazed somebody with a piece of cardboard when throwing the pieces in the baler, or spilled ice on somebody when pulling down a box of broccoli from a pallet that is built too tall. Things like that happen, and typically it's just a known thing that nobody would intentionally want to hurt anybody else, especially at the risk of losing their job. A common response to this sort of situation would be to react as if you are incredibly pissed off for a few seconds, then reveal in some way or another that you don't care, or "It's all good". A common response, in other words, is to bust the accidental offender's balls. That's what I expected would happen at this point.

I ducked out of the office real quick after the incident and came back a few minutes later. The co-worker immediately gives off total attitude, tells me he doesn't appreciate that, and if I have a problem then we need to talk about it face to face, in a tone that is best described as hostile. I expect him to bust out laughing all of a sudden. But he doesn't. He proceeds to tell me how I've been in a crappy mood all day and blah blah blah crappy mood blah blah. I ask him how? How have I been in a crappy mood? But he has no actual response to it. Because he has nothing. I feel like he was just grasping for straws trying to gain leverage, to twist this whole thing into some sort of huge problem, like I'm being violent and malicious towards him. Anyway, he eventually says the fact I haven't been very talkative today means I'm in a crappy mood. My response is I'm doing my job, I haven't copped attitude with anybody. It kind of fizzled out there and soon after, I got the okay from my shift lead to clock out for the day.

As I'm pulling out of the parking lot, I notice my co-worker is in my bosses office. And he's sitting down. Probably filling out paperwork against me. At the very least, they are definitely talking about the incident. S***t, the door was closed, for crying out loud. I know what they're talking about.

Now I can't stop worrying. That I could lose my job over this. I won't know what's happening, if anything, until I go back to work Thursday. All I can hope is that if they do turn this into a real deal situation, that I have the opportunity to defend myself. I really can't afford to lose this job.

I'm sorry if this goes against the rules of something, as I don't really have a question here. This is more of a vent, but I'm definitely open to opinions or similar stories. I guess, if I could ask at least one question, it would be this: Given my story, would you think it's right for this guy to blow his top at me over this? And what should I have done differently?

Thanks, if you weren't so bored that you stopped reading this far.

Before anyone gets fired, there's two sides to every story so if that's what your co worker did, the you'll be asked to give your version of the events. Don't but the cart before the horse.

• Author
Crump's Brother
Before anyone gets fired, there's two sides to every story so if that's what your co worker did, the you'll be asked to give your version of the events. Don't but the cart before the horse.

You're right. I'm too much of a worrier. I just can't help it sometimes. As my dad puts it, I'm "borrowing trouble".

Cart before the horse, though, I like that one. Never heard that one before. Thank you for your simple yet perfect response. I will now try and relax a bit, and hopefully enjoy my Friday night.

• Author
Crump's Brother

True. Looking back, I should have apologized immediately. It was wrong to assume this co worker of mine would automatically know it was an accident. I thought I knew him better than I do, apparently. He may have still given me attitude regardless, who knows.

True. Looking back' date=' I should have apologized immediately. It was wrong to assume this co worker of mine would automatically know it was an accident. I thought I knew him better than I do, apparently. He may have still given me attitude regardless, who knows.[/quote']

Yup, saying "oops, I'm sorry, that sticker stuck to my hand and my aim was off, didn't mean to hit ya with the rolled up paper." Instead you didn't say anything and left the office area immediately. Maybe that is why he thought you did it on purpose?

Anyway, just go and apologize to him. Try not to worry...Doubtful you'll be suspended or fired over this!

• Author
Crump's Brother

Today is my day off from work. I didn't want to wait until Thursday and I don't have my co-workers phone number so I sent him a message on FB. Just saying it was a misunderstanding and I didn't set out to hit him and that I am sorry. I said I've never had a problem with him in the past and I don't want any bad blood in the work place.

He never responded. I didn't expect him to. Guess all I can do is hope this blows over and nothing extreme happens because of it.

I do agree with the responses. I can't blame my co-worker for assuming I did it on purpose, given how I handled it. But I am surprised in his reaction. I thought we were decent enough buds at work until now.

I appreciate the responses. Thanks

It would have been better to wait to speak to him face to face..

Anyway, at least you tried and apologized.

Give him time and space, hopefully he'll realize that he overreacted and will not hold it against you.

• Author
Crump's Brother

Its not that I would be against talking to this guy face to face, in fact, I would be still open to that if he is. Not that there is a whole lot more for me to say at this point, I just feel weird when I know I have an issue with someone and I can't clear the way right away. Oh well, what's done is done. I'll just hope there's little else to add to this post in the coming days and I can stop thinking about it.