LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Calling All Recruiters Urgently


Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree219Likes
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st September 2014, 11:00 PM   #61
Established Member
 
Lani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Your dreams...
Posts: 5,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh 87 View Post
I was a successful trainer, I did well tutoring children in English overseas and got paid highly for my services and have had parents buy my thankful presents when their kids improved their marks after seeing me.

How dare you say that I haven't progressed much for my age. I've had one successful career plus a stint living overseas. None of my friends or acquaintances thought I had not gotten very far in life for my age.

People that know me do admit that with my talents and intellect I could have gotten a lpt further however, no one says that being a personal trainer and tutoring Asian children in English, is " lowly " for my age.


I have also completed one and a half years of college with distinctions and high distinctions.


I don't regard myself as having done poorly for my age at all.

I did dead end jobs for four years or so but I studied in that time and got good grades for my college degree I was doing. I was developing people skills by working in customer service.

My event work has high end VIP clients so it isn't a sh it kicker job. Professionals do it on the side for extra money. I'm doing event work until I find a full time job and then study full time next year.




Please stop making comments on my lack of.progression in.life it is highly offensive.
I was referring to career progression only Leigh, which is completely relevant to the thread. And something you have mentioned yourself in previous posts.
At 28 you're delving into a career that has nothing to do with your past, people are going to want answers. I urge you not to answer them the way you just did me.
Lani is offline  
Old 1st September 2014, 11:15 PM   #62
Established Member
 
Leigh 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 13,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani View Post
I was referring to career progression only Leigh, which is completely relevant to the thread. And something you have mentioned yourself in previous posts.
At 28 you're delving into a career that has nothing to do with your past, people are going to want answers. I urge you not to answer them the way you just did me.
I think I'm on par with other 27 and 28 year olds. I earned 1500 per week as a trainer and was a team leader. I have been at a job that is to the level of my 28 year old peers. I held the position for more than three years. Then I fell ill and did casual and part time gigs at every chance I could get when I was well enough.


I am not bellow others for my age. Plenty of folks aren't in management roles by my age and hop from job to job on order to grab any opportunities.

Where I am in life now is on par with my peers. I am another out of work person who is seeking full time work until I commence mature aged studies.


My recruiter neighbour who is in a different line of work to me told me that my career trajectory is totally normal for my age despite the fact I fell ill.

So yeah I don't really have anything to explain in my interviews.


No one in their rightful mind would actually put in a resume that they were out of a proper job for years and ill in hospitality. No one would even offer you the chance of an interview. Several recruiters have told me that if I openly stated huge gaps on my resume, that u would never ever get work.


I don't feel guilty. I like who I am as a pereon and consider myself to be a very kind and generous girl.

However, I believe in order to.ever get off welfare, I do have to omit huge gaps on my resume. Sorry but I am not willing to remain on welfare and I am doing what have to in order to be given a chance.


Please no more comments about my employment gaps. Shut up seriously and leave it be.




Advice is to be strictly about interview techniques that convey how eager I am to get the job. I am genuinly positive and eager to work really hard and do well at whichever tasks I am given. I need help and tips please.
Leigh 87 is offline  
Old 1st September 2014, 11:18 PM   #63
Established Member
 
Leigh 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 13,209
There is zero job security on Australia unless you are in a very senior position so it's common to see very over qualified masters degree holders in basic sales and marketing interviews.

Lol it is sad to say but I am very normal in comparison with my peers who lose jobs and attend interview for jobs in call centre and the like.
Leigh 87 is offline  
Old 1st September 2014, 11:21 PM   #64
Established Member
 
MidwestUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh 87 View Post
I dont want a low paid career.

I want the opportunity to have a family and mortgage.

Podiatry will help people. I can continue doing the suicide hotline volunteer work as a means of helping people.

Social workers get 40 k with little chance of progression. Podiatrists start on 60 to 75 K.

Plus I am far more interested in medical and the sciences than I am humanities.
If your plan is still to go into podiatry, how is it that you have only one year of uni left (as stated in one of your early posts)?

What did you tell them on the interview about the amount of schooling you have left? Are you lying about that too?

Telling people to shut up isn't nice. I think I'm getting a clue as to why your threads always go downhill. You only want people to agree with you; you're not here for logical advice.
MidwestUSA is offline  
Old 1st September 2014, 11:26 PM   #65
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh 87 View Post
There is zero job security on Australia unless you are in a very senior position

Lol it is sad to say but I am very normal in comparison with my peers
That's just not true.
TayTay415 is offline  
Old 1st September 2014, 11:27 PM   #66
Established Member
 
Lani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Your dreams...
Posts: 5,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh 87 View Post
I think I'm on par with other 27 and 28 year olds. I earned 1500 per week as a trainer and was a team leader. I have been at a job that is to the level of my 28 year old peers. I held the position for more than three years. Then I fell ill and did casual and part time gigs at every chance I could get when I was well enough.


I am not bellow others for my age. Plenty of folks aren't in management roles by my age and hop from job to job on order to grab any opportunities.

Where I am in life now is on par with my peers. I am another out of work person who is seeking full time work until I commence mature aged studies.


My recruiter neighbour who is in a different line of work to me told me that my career trajectory is totally normal for my age despite the fact I fell ill.

So yeah I don't really have anything to explain in my interviews.


No one in their rightful mind would actually put in a resume that they were out of a proper job for years and ill in hospitality. No one would even offer you the chance of an interview. Several recruiters have told me that if I openly stated huge gaps on my resume, that u would never ever get work.


I don't feel guilty. I like who I am as a pereon and consider myself to be a very kind and generous girl.

However, I believe in order to.ever get off welfare, I do have to omit huge gaps on my resume. Sorry but I am not willing to remain on welfare and I am doing what have to in order to be given a chance.


Please no more comments about my employment gaps. Shut up seriously and leave it be.




Advice is to be strictly about interview techniques that convey how eager I am to get the job. I am genuinly positive and eager to work really hard and do well at whichever tasks I am given. I need help and tips please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh 87 View Post
There is zero job security on Australia unless you are in a very senior position so it's common to see very over qualified masters degree holders in basic sales and marketing interviews.

Lol it is sad to say but I am very normal in comparison with my peers who lose jobs and attend interview for jobs in call centre and the like.
I am advising on interview topics and techniques, as it's likely to come up.
I'm 28, and further than you in my career. Working in recruitment, in Australia, in a secure job.

But if you know better than me then that's fine.
I'll shut up as you requested.

Good luck, you'll need it.
Lani is offline  
Old 1st September 2014, 11:29 PM   #67
Established Member
 
MidwestUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh 87 View Post
There is zero job security on Australia.
Is moving to the US an option?
MidwestUSA is offline  
Old 1st September 2014, 11:59 PM   #68
Established Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 19,375
Journal Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestUSA View Post
Is moving to the US an option?
The US has way less job security. Believe me, I've worked in both countries.
Citizen Erased is offline  
Old 2nd September 2014, 12:04 AM   #69
Established Member
 
MidwestUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Erased View Post
The US has way less job security. Believe me, I've worked in both countries.
Gotcha. I'm not very 'worldly', I'll admit in a heartbeat. I do feel that healthcare and science are pretty secure here, but I'm sorta limited to personal experience. Thanks!

Adorable baby!!
MidwestUSA is offline  
Old 2nd September 2014, 12:21 AM   #70
Established Member
 
sweetjasmine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Erased View Post
The US has way less job security. Believe me, I've worked in both countries.
And emigrating to work isn't exactly easy unless you've got skills that are worth an employer sponsoring you. Trying to emigrate without a job on a typical immigrant visa through the diversity lottery would take years.
sweetjasmine is offline  
Old 2nd September 2014, 12:46 AM   #71
Established Member
 
Leigh 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 13,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani View Post
I am advising on interview topics and techniques, as it's likely to come up.
I'm 28, and further than you in my career. Working in recruitment, in Australia, in a secure job.

But if you know better than me then that's fine.
I'll shut up as you requested.

Good luck, you'll need it.
How rude.


I said I was about average for my age in terms of my career achievements ( I was in a higher than average paid job for over three years and have references for it)




I didn't say I was above average.




Sorry but I don't regard you as any more intelligent or " better " than I regard myself.





I don't know why you're wishing me luck and saying I need it. Why? I am well spoken, driven, and fairly academic and intelligent.

Why would I need any more luck than the average adult? Again, how rude.
Leigh 87 is offline  
Old 2nd September 2014, 12:48 AM   #72
Established Member
 
cerridwen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Golden State
Posts: 8,539
Journal Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh 87 View Post
I was a successful personal trainer until I fell ill...
I held a decent job years ago. Nothing since but stints in hospital, mental illness and the like.
...

I am not being honest and telling them that I had a large employment gap. That simple. I would never get a job of i was entirely honest.
Leigh,

You've written about being interested in personal training but never that you did it, let alone was successful and built up a clientele.

There are many posts here about doing a certificate for personal training. But it never went beyond fact-finding and initial training.

Nor, in the years you and I have been here, have you ever mentioned being a swimsuit model at any point in your life--until this week; when you've felt perhaps a bit defensive.

This is exactly why we are all encouraging you not to misrepresent facts.
Not only are they easily found out, one completely loses credibility.

I urge you to be truthful about your work past with any future employers.
It won't be fun to live with the worry of being found out.
cerridwen is offline  
Old 2nd September 2014, 12:51 AM   #73
Established Member
 
pink_sugar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NorCal
Posts: 3,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Erased View Post
The US has way less job security. Believe me, I've worked in both countries.
Very true. I recently posted a thread on this. I am 25 with three years experience in marketing and having a hard time landing something with decent pay and full time. I want something stable and it's been anything but the past year.
pink_sugar is offline  
Old 2nd September 2014, 12:53 AM   #74
Established Member
 
Leigh 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 13,209
It is still very hard for many people to get work in Australia.

Its not just lowly or unclassy folks that struggle. Educated, well spoken and amible often struggle to find work.

Just because you or your friends and family have an easy time findin, there are many decent and respectable individuals who simply cannot find a job.



I find it disgusting that people are commenting that I am a sub par person when I am every bit as intelligent as most full time workers.


I don't regard any of youlre highly than I do myself. I feel I am just as intelligent and that I have just as much going for me as any one else. Just because I fell ill and am not where I could be professionalu that doesn't mean I am less intelligent or ambitious.

I knowamy people that got laid off work who are highly intelligent and good with people. One is a lawyer and the other a pharmacist.


They simply cannot find work because there is none.



In the interviews I attend, there are out of work finance grads and many people with masters degrees who are simply not able to get off welfare. They dress impeccably and seem personable.



It's tough for a lot of decent people to find work sadly
Leigh 87 is offline  
Old 2nd September 2014, 12:53 AM   #75
Established Member
 
CarrieT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Napa - wine country
Posts: 11,711
Leigh, this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh 87 View Post
Shut up seriously and leave it be.
Contradicts this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh 87 View Post
I need help and tips please.

We are trying to help you but gaps ARE a serious issue that needs to be addressed and doing so in a fashion that involves fabrication will only and ultimately back-fire.

That is what we are trying to explain to you but you seem to gloss over it with some Disney-esque fairytale of how you are going to make it work but flipping the coin and asking for help.

Don't you see how duplicitous is comes across?
CarrieT is offline  
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do HR recruiters feel about you turning down jobs? FitChick Business and Professional Relationships 3 19th August 2014 2:29 AM
Need urgently Hippy_Chick Breaks and Breaking Up 0 18th January 2008 9:20 AM
Urgently need assistance with this!! slade the anarkist Dating 37 4th January 2008 8:49 AM
i need help urgently. renill83 Archive 2 19th July 2001 2:22 PM
confused and need help urgently rebecca Archive 1 2nd May 2000 10:38 AM

 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:48 AM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.


Copyright © 1997-2013 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.