LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Calling All Recruiters Urgently

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree219Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st September 2014, 7:00 PM   #46
Established Member

Hi Leigh,

I understand everything you're saying....and you're right - a call centre likely won't verify what's on your resume. I know because I've worked at two.

They will however want to know what experience you've had in sales.
Old 1st September 2014, 7:01 PM   #47
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani View Post
It's thinking on your 'feet'.
Keeping you on your toes is the other one.

As for lying about your history, if employees even get a hint that this may be the case you'd better believe they'll check.
It's not a good idea by any means.

Look I'm not going to tell employers that I has a mental illness that caused a huge employment gap.

Recruiters tell me that I won't ever get a job if I am honest about not working for a few years.

My own recruitment consultant who is also a vase worker told me straight out that I will simply never vain employment if I am honest.
Old 1st September 2014, 7:02 PM   #48
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartDesires View Post
Hi Leigh,

I understand everything you're saying....and you're right - a call centre likely won't verify what's on your resume. I know because I've worked at two.

They will however want to know what experience you've had in sales.
I worked in two sales roles
Old 1st September 2014, 7:05 PM   #49
Established Member

Journal Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh 87 View Post
Look I'm not going to tell employers that I has a mental illness that caused a huge employment gap.

Recruiters tell me that I won't ever get a job if I am honest about not working for a few years.

My own recruitment consultant who is also a vase worker told me straight out that I will simply never vain employment if I am honest.
if you have to lie to get a job that job isn't for you.......whoever told you to lie and did so in a professional capacity ought to be fired....reported for starters.......no wonder you haven't been able to get a job with case workers who tell you to lie to procure employment....a job interview is hard enough to maintain composure without having to remember lies all the way through...stupid case worker....unethical slack ...misinformed.....deb
Old 1st September 2014, 7:08 PM   #50
Established Member

Quote:
" in five yearss, I see myself reaching higher sales targets within this industry in sole capacity, I believe I would have moved up a level within the company by five years time that involves taking on more responsibilities "

Is that okay?

What should I answer to the where do you see yourself in five years questions.

Is it true?

Where do you see yourself in five years?And tell them that. No one believes you are going to be in a call centre job in five years. It sounds trite and rehearsed. They want to hear YOUR answer not what you think they want to hear.

I have two big gaps in my resume and I have always explained them by being honest. One was I took time out because I was ill. The other I took a redundancy and had the means to do what ever I wanted for a year. Both are true and have never been questioned.

The feedback from the bank is that you lacked specific detailed answers. The thing with lies is that you will lack specific detail. So just be honest.
Old 1st September 2014, 7:08 PM   #51
Established Member

Quote:
It is also stupid of me to come out and admit that I had a large employment gap.

I will absolutely never get a job.

Sorry but I don't deserve to stay unemployed for a reason that wasn't even my fault.

I want a job. I hate being on benefits. I will definitely not get a job if I am honest about my employment gap.

I either lie or be honest and never get a job.
it actually isnt stupid to explain you have been sick .....that you struggled for a while with a debilitating illness but you came through.....it wasnt easy and is admirable that you are now motivated knowing that you are better and eager to work...... it is behind you now....it a is a hell of a lot more admirable than lying.....deb
Old 1st September 2014, 7:33 PM   #52
Established Member

Leigh, how about saying you were a caretaker for a sick relative? Or was unable to work due to a personal matter? You don't need to go into detail. I think it's better than asking someone to lie for you. At my first professional job, I said I worked for a real estate company. I never mentioned it was my dad's business. I probably should have been honest about it as it was still experience and legitimate work. I think my boss did find out later that it was my dad's real estate business, but thankfully it wasn't a big deal.
Leigh 87 likes this.
Old 1st September 2014, 7:35 PM   #53
Established Member

My father is genuinly I'll and I do take care of him.
Old 1st September 2014, 7:38 PM   #54
Established Member

I just don't think it's any ones business in my real life, to know that I was ill for so long and out of work.

I am desperate to get off benefits and I don't feel lowly for lying because I know i can either remain on benefits and be honest, or get off benefits and lie a little.

I don't feel bad for doing what it takes to get off welfare.

I feel like a respectable, decent person in general and I never sweat it interviews.
Old 1st September 2014, 7:46 PM   #55
Established Member

Quote:
My father is genuinly I'll and I do take care of him.
i know you want to do admin leigh....but one area where i do think you would excel and be a challenge fro you is social sciences .....social worker....you said you worked on a suicide hotline you have suffered with an illness yourself.....i feel that even admin in a social workers office might be good......not only would you have expertise in dealing with people with mental illness and or physical illness such as diabetes....you do have the capacity to actually pick up skills and hone your level of compassion for others.....when i was a street kid......back in the age of dinosaurs..:0)...refuges need receptionists and they are likely to hire volunteers......domestic violence working with women and children .......

..i feel it would be a challenge for you....to increase levels of patience to handle difficult people and to try and see the other side of life......you could always try for admin in these sort of places not only to get a wage but increase your skill set do something really rewarding ....for others........to really open your eyes.....and saying you have been sick and come through is actually an advantage........deb
Old 1st September 2014, 7:57 PM   #56
Established Member

You talk a lot about what you do and don't deserve Leigh.
In my opinion, liars deserve nothing.

If you can justify your career gaps then do so. I think you'll find that people appreciate candid honesty over a CV that shows a bunch of irrelevant jobs for longer than you actually worked them.

If you do go down this route of lying about your history, what are you going to tell them when they ask why you haven't progressed very far given your age?
Old 1st September 2014, 9:40 PM   #57
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by todreaminblue View Post
i know you want to do admin leigh....but one area where i do think you would excel and be a challenge fro you is social sciences .....social worker....you said you worked on a suicide hotline you have suffered with an illness yourself.....i feel that even admin in a social workers office might be good......not only would you have expertise in dealing with people with mental illness and or physical illness such as diabetes....you do have the capacity to actually pick up skills and hone your level of compassion for others.....when i was a street kid......back in the age of dinosaurs..:0)...refuges need receptionists and they are likely to hire volunteers......domestic violence working with women and children .......

..i feel it would be a challenge for you....to increase levels of patience to handle difficult people and to try and see the other side of life......you could always try for admin in these sort of places not only to get a wage but increase your skill set do something really rewarding ....for others........to really open your eyes.....and saying you have been sick and come through is actually an advantage........deb

I dont want a low paid career.

I want the opportunity to have a family and mortgage.

Podiatry will help people. I can continue doing the suicide hotline volunteer work as a means of helping people.

Social workers get 40 k with little chance of progression. Podiatrists start on 60 to 75 K.

Plus I am far more interested in medical and the sciences than I am humanities.
Old 1st September 2014, 9:45 PM   #58
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani View Post
You talk a lot about what you do and don't deserve Leigh.
In my opinion, liars deserve nothing.

If you can justify your career gaps then do so. I think you'll find that people appreciate candid honesty over a CV that shows a bunch of irrelevant jobs for longer than you actually worked them.

If you do go down this route of lying about your history, what are you going to tell them when they ask why you haven't progressed very far given your age?
I was a successful trainer, I did well tutoring children in English overseas and got paid highly for my services and have had parents buy my thankful presents when their kids improved their marks after seeing me.

How dare you say that I haven't progressed much for my age. I've had one successful career plus a stint living overseas. None of my friends or acquaintances thought I had not gotten very far in life for my age.

People that know me do admit that with my talents and intellect I could have gotten a lpt further however, no one says that being a personal trainer and tutoring Asian children in English, is " lowly " for my age.

I have also completed one and a half years of college with distinctions and high distinctions.

I don't regard myself as having done poorly for my age at all.

I did dead end jobs for four years or so but I studied in that time and got good grades for my college degree I was doing. I was developing people skills by working in customer service.

My event work has high end VIP clients so it isn't a sh it kicker job. Professionals do it on the side for extra money. I'm doing event work until I find a full time job and then study full time next year.

Please stop making comments on my lack of.progression in.life it is highly offensive.
Old 1st September 2014, 9:49 PM   #59
Established Member

They didn't quiz me on my resume.

No one has thus far.

They were just interested to know what experience I have had in sales and customer service.

I didn't have to lie.

If they ask me I will be honest then and say I was physically ill but I managed to secure casual and part time employment whilst I was ill and I also managed to completed over a year of a degree maintaining a distinction average.

By the way no interviewer for these types of roles ask for an academic transcript but I could provide one if needed
Old 1st September 2014, 9:51 PM   #60
Established Member

I am think the interview went well. I find out later today if I got through to the last stage.

I also just got offered an interview for another company.