LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Calling All Recruiters Urgently

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree219Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st September 2014, 11:23 AM   #16

Leigh wouldn't you be better off just calling up some recruiters in your city and do informational interviews with them instead of posting here? Or reading articles online that are written by recruiters about how to interview for jobs as a college student. Surely your college has a career center on campus, as most do, that help students prepare for and find jobs.
Old 1st September 2014, 11:29 AM   #17
Established Member

Do you have a Goodwill Easter Seals in your area? They can help not only with job placement but training for interviews and testing. Try contacting a rep in your area to find out how they can help you.
Old 1st September 2014, 12:17 PM   #18
Established Member

While I'm not a recruiter, I'm surprised to hear you say you weren't prepared for the bank interview, given how keen you were on it.

I can only suggest being mostly prepared at all times. Have your briefcase organized and ready. Forget the designer handbag if you're carrying a briefcase, they may wonder why you need to work.

Lay your clothing out the night before (two outfits, in case you have a change of heart about one) and do whatever it takes get a good night's sleep. I'll admit that if I know I'm not going to sleep well, I just stay up all night.

Give yourself much more time than you'll think you need to get ready. There's not an excuse for not having your hair properly brushed! Keep the makeup to a subtle minimum, and the lipstick understated, if at all. Nudes or a gloss should suffice.

Good luck.
Old 1st September 2014, 2:14 PM   #19
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clia View Post
Where do you see yourself in five years?

How would you handle a call from an angry customer?

Tell me about a time when you had a difficult customer and how you dealt with it?

What are your strengths and weaknesses?

How will you handle a high stress environment?

Why do you want this job?

Can you work under pressure?
To be honest Leigh these are more common questions than what is your greatest achievement.
If by chance they do ask the greatest achievement question then I would leave out that your customer was obese. It is unnecessary and could offend someone who has just been told by their doctor that they are obese, or someone who has had a family member experience it.

I would absolutely not say that you suggested a customer go elsewhere and also be wary about apologies to some degree also. A simple 'I'm sorry that you have had that experience with us' is OK. Adding that it's unacceptable or saying too much to empathise could cause problems for a company.

Do brush your hair. Mine is curly so I can't brush or comb it but if your hair is as straight as it is in your pics then it's brushable. You could even just put your hair up in a neat little bun so that you don't have to worry about it.
Don't brush your hair in reception, do it before you go in out of sight..same for make up.
More often that not any odd thing a candidate does while waiting comes back to us the interviewers - everyone there is assessing you, not just the interviewers.
I wouldn't go as far as packing another blouse. It will only crease and be more for you to carry - just drink water on the way if you need a drink.
If you spill something, it's water, blame the train, you are allowed to be human!

I'm guessing these up coming interviews have hours that would fit in with you having the time you want for studies?
Do tell them that you will be starting a degree. You can say it's something that you have always wanted to do and that you plan to work at that in your own time (if the company has no rules about having another income that is).
Failing that podiatry is something you have wanted to do and will be a 'trade' you have and a skill but should you ever at some point in the future want to get into a practice you want a few years at least of insight into how a business runs.
In a few ways you have almost run a business (it sounds like to me anyway from what you have said) when you were a PT. I am guessing you were contracted but within a gym which is greater responsibility than simply being a PT in a gym.

Podiatry practices though would be very different to that so business practices and the knowledge of are essentials (even if you do podiatry in your spare time). You want to gain a step and some good knowledge on business and you are aware that takes several years to achieve.

They will want to know about your personal situation too.

They will also want you to explain your work breaks.

Don't go in being 'too practised'.
It's like interviewing a cardboard cut out with a tape recorder when someone is like that.

Thinks along these lines to an extent - you found your man by being you. You found your friends by being you...apply some of that to getting a job.
Old 1st September 2014, 3:43 PM   #20
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpwardForward View Post

Your plans for marriage - which may include starting a family are also of interest to them.
This can also be considered discrimination unless the OP volunteers the info. The only thing they may ask is if you have any restrictions which may affect you in regards to the job, such as if you need to leave early or work certain hours to accommodate childcare. But they cannot come out and ask if you are married and/or have kids or if you plan to have them.
Old 1st September 2014, 4:30 PM   #21
Established Member

About the customer going elsewhere....

It was not to another business - it was to another high end bar that belonged to OUR company.....

It was at an event (hence the "event" work" job title....)

We were very short staffed as per usual and no one in my team was willing to bother appeasing the angry customers. However, while I took 1 minute to inform everyone that sorry, our bar was moving incredibly slowly right now because the beer tap was running at half pace for a popular beer; but that there was another of OUR bars around the corner and also at another location in the stadium.... And that the lines there were not as bad (we had the ever busy bar, the other ones were never as bad yet people would always go to ours because it was more prominent).

That one minute I took to help the patrons of the event rather than just going about my business and putting my head down, really really helped us that night.

Many of those customers ended up coming back to our bar later on when it had quietened down, because of my service.

I wont use that example though but yeah, I am not umm, retarded. I wouldn't recommend a competitor in an interview

I also will not mention the obese client, I will say she was nearly bed ridden instead without alluding to her weight ( and rather, the interviewer may suspect she is simply injured when I helped her to learn to walk faster again).
I also worked in part of a team where I met the patients occupational therapist and family, so I worked effectively with these people.

So not turning up too early, practicing an answer to CLIA'S questions, NOT mentioning the obese woman, NOT mentioning customers being diverted to another bar......
Old 1st September 2014, 4:35 PM   #22
Established Member

My employment gaps are not evident in my resume.

A recruiter who is also doing case work in her spare time made my resume.

She covered the gaps by extending the amount of time I lived overseas.

Just because I had personal issues, doesn't mean it is far that I should miss out on every job because of it -after all, I was good at my old job/jobs and deserve to have every chance at getting the next job/jobs I go for.

Having a large gap would mean no one would employ me so no I do not feel bad about lying, I deserve a job as much as anyone else and the fact I have one gap shouldn't ruin me forever.

I did work throughout the "gap" anyway, just casually and I went through a few too many jobs since I was trying to contend with a personal matter.
Old 1st September 2014, 4:48 PM   #23
Established Member

Don't rush yourself. Listen to what they are asking you and make sure you answer that question clearly and concisely.

Be prepared to discuss weaknesses and how you manage those in the workplace so as not to impact on your work.

Prepare some questions for you to ask them that show that you have researched the business and/or understand what the job requires.

Don't focus on things like pay, hours etc. Do that too soon and it just makes it look as if that's all that matters to you. It's the job that matters, not the pay (at this stage). The terms and conditions however really matter if offered a job and you need to be absolutely clear on those before you accept a job.

Don't be a robot. Allow your personality to come through. They want someone who they will enjoy working with.

- Richard Dawkins
Old 1st September 2014, 4:51 PM   #24
Established Member

A gap should not ruin your chances but it could make it harder. Be very careful if you choose to lie. If they suspect you are lying or find out later that you lied after offering you a job, they will be mightily pi$$ed off and quite right too. You could find yourself being fired which would be even more damaging to your career.
Old 1st September 2014, 5:45 PM   #25
Established Member

Journal Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh 87 View Post

...I wont use that example though but yeah, I am not umm, retarded...

So not turning up too early, practicing an answer to CLIA'S questions, NOT mentioning the obese woman, NOT mentioning customers being diverted to another bar......
More suggestions:

1) Don't tell people you're not retarded.

2) Don't lie.

3) Don't always think casual or volunteer work is equal to full-time work in an employer's mind.

They may very well consider times of once monthly casual work as gaps.

Such large or frequent gaps cause some to wonder why others haven't found you employable.

Be prepared for employers who will verify dates.
That's in part why honesty is the best policy.
Old 1st September 2014, 6:03 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerridwen View Post
Such large or frequent gaps cause some to wonder why others haven't found you employable.
Good point.

OP, why are you having such a hard time finding a job?
Old 1st September 2014, 6:12 PM   #27
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne1707 View Post
A gap should not ruin your chances but it could make it harder. Be very careful if you choose to lie. If they suspect you are lying or find out later that you lied after offering you a job, they will be mightily pi$$ed off and quite right too. You could find yourself being fired which would be even more damaging to your career.

My ex personal training partner said they would lie for me in order to cover my employment gaps.... And my friend from Hong Kong has also agreed to attest to me living there. They are a recruiter too for temping agencies.

I have the employment gaps covered lol.
Old 1st September 2014, 6:14 PM   #28
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TayTay415 View Post
Good point.

OP, why are you having such a hard time finding a job?
Because personal training was all I did. Plus swimwear modelling as a late teen.

I did a stint at college lasting two years in total.

I don't have formal experience in a professional, office job.
Old 1st September 2014, 6:17 PM   #29
Established Member

Quote:
My ex personal training partner said they would lie for me in order to cover my employment gaps.... And my friend from Hong Kong has also agreed to attest to me living there. They are a recruiter too for temping agencies.

I have the employment gaps covered lol.
The truth is easy to keep straight. Lies are not.

Now you're involving others in a web of deceit. It's a horrible idea.
Old 1st September 2014, 6:18 PM   #30
Established Member

Quote:
My ex personal training partner said they would lie for me in order to cover my employment gaps....
Bad, bad, bad idea...