Is it really important to have a "work-place" buddy?

How important is it to have a "work-place" buddy? At work there are these 2 co-workers that are friends-they share their stories together about their husbands-take breaks and lunches and even go to the bathroom together. They sit together at meetings. I'm like....:sick: I use to have a work-place buddies where I would hang out with them outside of work, but things went badly, sometimes their comments pissed me off and I no longer want to be buddies with anyone, except have the usual chit-chat about work, saying morning and that's it. I don't see how their friendships work out, while none of my friendships from work lasted.

For me it's very important to be able to relate to my coworkers on a social level. So much time is spent at a job that a bit of socializing is a nice break. My coworkers and I talk about our weekend adventures and new hikes we've found, a new restaurant. It's all mundane stuff, but it's a good way to learn about new things and new people. I can typically find at least one thing I have in common with each of my coworkers, so if we are involved in a business social setting we have things to talk about that don't involve work. I think it's good for developing social skills. It's amazing to me sometimes how different people can be.

I've made a few close friends at workplaces, but I tend to be choosy, especially if you work at a large company. Sometimes being too close can backfire, especially if you get in a big fight or something. Be wary and don't just friend anyone. Spend time getting to know your coworkers before discussing sensitive subjects.