LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Tips for Entry Level Admin

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree364Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th August 2014, 3:28 AM   #46
Established Member

Thanks Leigh but you didn't actually answer any of my questions

- Richard Dawkins
Old 27th August 2014, 3:29 AM   #47
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh 87 View Post
I would like to get experience with such a well known company, earn 100 k minimum, so two years working there, and then I'd likely either inquire about moving up in the company or I'd go to university.
I'm a bit bemused. Are you thinking you will have 100K in the bank at the end of two years?
You will be taxed on paid work so the salary they are stating is gross, not net.
Where will your living expenses and travel expenses be coming from?
Saving is great if you can but at the end of two years you are very unlikely to have all of your earned salary sitting in the bank for uni.

The role is going to be better paid than some other roles within the bank due to the type of work it is and inconvenient hours. Call centres are high on stress so people don't tend to stay in the role for long due to burn out. To move on to a different role with more regular hours you may need to take a drop in salary.

I'm also confused that you've said your friend doesn't have a degree and that you now say she does. I take it she is working on a second degree?
Old 27th August 2014, 3:52 AM   #48
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GemmaUK View Post
I'm a bit bemused. Are you thinking you will have 100K in the bank at the end of two years?
You will be taxed on paid work so the salary they are stating is gross, not net.
Where will your living expenses and travel expenses be coming from?
Saving is great if you can but at the end of two years you are very unlikely to have all of your earned salary sitting in the bank for uni.

The role is going to be better paid than some other roles within the bank due to the type of work it is and inconvenient hours. Call centres are high on stress so people don't tend to stay in the role for long due to burn out. To move on to a different role with more regular hours you may need to take a drop in salary.

I'm also confused that you've said your friend doesn't have a degree and that you now say she does. I take it she is working on a second degree?

To clarify,

My friend recently graduated from social science. She is a very desirable person by all means. She is just very pleasant to be around.

She is really ambitious and driven which is nice. I am too, so I enjoy having her as a friend for this reason, I enjoy people who are working towards worthwhile things in life.

She is NOW doing a masters in HR online.

I got better academic marks than her so although she has shown more perseverance than me and stuck to something for longer, I do have the raw ingredients to not only do what she did, but get better marks lol.

When I study, I am hardcore and achieve fantastic results because I grew up in a family with a very high standard and I also read up on effective study tips.

So I HOPE my study habits demonstrate my work ethic to some degree.

The recruiters asked me what I was most proud of, and I said: besides the positive results I have achieved in customer care (which I demonstrated), I am most proud of the fact I went back and enrolled in "the course" that would get me into college, and got straight High D's; after leaving school early to enter into the workforce, it meant a lot to me to further my education and get a degree.

They liked the fact I was ambitious and highly regarded college level study, and they also appreciated that I was so passionate about their company that I was willing to put the degree on hold in order to pursue the opportunity to develop professionally provided within their company.

They suggested that they would encourage me to further my educated down the track if I was successful, in an area that would compliment my role at the bank. Which I whole heartedly agreed with, suggesting a few related degrees.
Old 27th August 2014, 3:57 AM   #49
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne1707 View Post
50k NET? I know you are talking AUD but 50k net is extremely good money for someone with no experience. What is the gross salary and what kind of troubleshooting is it? You should have a good idea of what is involved after the interview?

It is 50K. And it is not for people with no experience.

All candidates had degrees, outstanding experience or both.

I had a good amount of experience albeit in different industries.

I talked about my recent exams I took to get into college and the high marks I managed to achieve, so they knew I was also of a high quality, in spite of my lack of "degree".

I didn't rave about my marks at all, I just made them aware that yes I was academic, as much as the candidates with degrees.

To answer your other question? Yes my friend did deserve the job big time. She is very pleasant and desirable.
Old 27th August 2014, 4:03 AM   #50
Established Member

It wasn't my academic marks or .. the stereotypical stuff that impressed them about me.

The thing they most seemed to like was the fact that I volunteered with a suicide prevention hotline and also working with children and older Australians.

Given my lack of degree I suppose they seemed to regard it as much as any academic achievement.

I didn't expect them to be impressed since everyone had masters/or degrees and yet I didn't.
Old 27th August 2014, 4:07 AM   #51
Established Member

I sent a professionally written thankyou letter.

Are thankyou letters good? I heard they were by many recruiters.

Don't worry I ran spell check lol.

I said that it was a delight to have the opportunity to learn from staff of such a high calibre.

The staff were all very very nice, they didn't strike me as folks who would be like " wtf is she doing" regarding a thankyou email.
anne1707 likes this.
Old 27th August 2014, 4:18 AM   #52
Established Member

Journal Entries: 2
Quote:
I sent a professionally written thankyou letter.

Are thankyou letters good? I heard they were by many recruiters.

Don't worry I ran spell check lol.

I said that it was a delight to have the opportunity to learn from staff of such a high calibre.

The staff were all very very nice, they didn't strike me as folks who would be like " wtf is she doing" regarding a thankyou email.

what did you learn from the staff leigh?...deb
Old 27th August 2014, 4:25 AM   #53
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by todreaminblue View Post
what did you learn from the staff leigh?...deb

The way they went about the induction was fantastic. They were all very well matched for their roles, very approachable, friendly yet professional.

I learned how to effectively deal with people, since their method proved to be something that I responded well to. I was not that nervous in the actual interview because of their professional yet laid back approach.

If I ever get up in the ranks I will employ a lot of strategies (that relaxed the group and spread positivity) and adopt their attitudes.
Old 27th August 2014, 4:41 AM   #54
Established Member

Journal Entries: 2
Quote:
The way they went about the induction was fantastic. They were all very well matched for their roles, very approachable, friendly yet professional.

I learned how to effectively deal with people, since their method proved to be something that I responded well to. I was not that nervous in the actual interview because of their professional yet laid back approach.

If I ever get up in the ranks I will employ a lot of strategies (that relaxed the group and spread positivity) and adopt their attitudes.
I am glad they were nice to you leigh and that you felt relaxed during your interview, i hope it all goes well for you....deb
Old 27th August 2014, 4:57 AM   #55
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by todreaminblue View Post
I am glad they were nice to you leigh and that you felt relaxed during your interview, i hope it all goes well for you....deb
Hi, thanks very much.

I highly doubt I got the job so I it would feel like a lottery win. I am certainly not expecting it and I am ready for podiatry next year. I am not even factoring in much of a possibility that I have anything else on the agenda.
Old 27th August 2014, 5:16 AM   #56
Established Member

I never asked whether your friend deserved the job. I never mentioned her at all.

I asked whether the job was 50k net or 50k gross as there is a big difference and the former would be a lot for someone with no experience in that area. I also asked what kind of troubleshooting you would be doing.
Old 27th August 2014, 5:18 AM   #57
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne1707 View Post
8 to 8 suggests 11hours working but that doesn't tie in with a 38 hour week. How many days a week have they said you would have to do?
Yep....

Leigh, I really hope that this doesn't turn out to be another case of miscommunication or misunderstanding, like the nanny job that involves 'light child care for a couple hours a day'. If they do give you the job I strongly urge you to actually talk to them first about the hours, schedule, expectations, the exact sort of work you will be doing (troubleshooting about what?) etc, instead of going into it blind and then resigning halfway through.
Old 27th August 2014, 5:41 AM   #58
Established Member

Yes, bear in mind that no recruiter advertises net salary, because people have differing deductions. It will be gross. So you can knock around a quarter of that off - still good money, but it will not be 50k in your pocket.
Old 27th August 2014, 5:59 AM   #59
Established Member

Oh yeah,it is will be gross and minimum of 30% tax

The other thing to consider is just how much to costs to go to work. I am entirely home based now so rather like Linda Evangelista - someone else pays me to leave the house! What really struck me is the money I don't spend. I don't buy train tickets, lunch, coffee, muffins or any of the other incidentals.

Going to work is really expensive!
Old 27th August 2014, 6:53 AM   #60
Established Member

I had a talk to my dad.

My parents are very proud of me that I got picked out of thousands of applicants for a leading bank. This bank is renowned for being very picky with their applicants.

I have been depressed not working. I have a brain and cannot stand not working. I have a lot of drive and energy and it gets too much for me occasionally when yet another frie3nd gets a job, when I am more academic than them and just as driven.

My dad told me that he believes I am talented at things that pertain to physiotherapy, podiatry, exercise physiology. Things I have always been into.

He is glad that I likely didn't get into the job as he DID NOT want me to drop Uni.

LOL.

SO yeah my parents were really wanting me to start the degree next semester as they believe I will be talented and successful in the medical field (podiatry).

They were happy that I am striving to get into the workforce and help them help me.

They explained that I have no need to be so desperate to get higher paying roles, that they simply want me to do college and do well in a field they highly regard and believe I will be successful in.

I have been crying a lot of today because I just got to a breaking point surrounding not being employed in more than casual work (events).

It upset me how my 22 year old friend is getting the 50K job when I did better than her in school; yet I suppose she did the hard yards with a degree and all so she likely deserves the job more than me. It didn't exactly fall into her lap, she studied for three years with no money really.....

I suppose good things come to those who wait. I'll just have to actually finish this degree and then good things will come my way if I remain active in volunteer work, and get casual/part time admin work.

I was really winging it today with a bunch of people who had either studied and worked much longer than I had. The recruiters simply ... noticed me because of my drive and ambition. I was the wild card of the lot.