LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Tips for Entry Level Admin


Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Like Tree364Likes
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th August 2014, 3:03 AM   #16
Established Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 489
I have recruited lots of admin role, from receptionists to senior executive officer types and you need to demonstrate that you are a "yes" person. Proactive, positive and outcome focused.

If you show any on the push back that you show to posters on your threads who challenge you or don't agree with you then you really won't be suited to admin. Your job is to do. Question, clarify, ask politely but ultimately to be a do-oer and make stuff happens. Fit in the emergency appointments etc.

You also need to be super organised and very, very good with detail. As well as dealing with the crankers that are likely to come through the door. Again, if you arc up against people who yell at you, get upset with you or push your buttons then you won't do well in the role.

For the interview - LISTEN to what they are asking. Not what you think they are asking. And use frame your answers in a STAR approach.

S- describe a situation that illustrates your experience
T- what was the task or challenge?
A - what did YOU do. Not the team, not others, your direct action or involvement
R - what was the result or outcome

Most interviews are behavioural these days so you may not be asked how your skills are transferable, you might be asked how you demonstrate particular skills. There was one I always use on time management and competing dealines. Give an example of how you manage competing deadlines etc. Not how you might but an actual time where you had multiple deadlines and what you actually did.

good luck, although IMHO it seems to be a selection criteria for medical receptionist that you are a surly, unapproachable and power hungry where patients are a mere imposition on your time and must be put in their rightful place, in the waiting room.

Hopefully you can be the exception.
ufo8mycat is offline  
Old 26th August 2014, 4:13 AM   #17
Established Member
 
anne1707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,512
I am very confused Leigh. You are now saying that you would love to do entry level admin work yet just a few weeks ago you said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh 87 View Post
Other careers which pay the same or more that I could do are all office jobs that involve incessant paper work all day.

I.would much prefer to deal with foot fungus all day or process medical radiation images all day, day in and day out, than sit in an office pushing paper.
.
which sounds very critical of admin work. What has made you change your mind?

(And I know you are not talking of not doing podiatry so don't think I have assumed you are no longer planning to study).
__________________
"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.."

- Richard Dawkins
anne1707 is offline  
Old 26th August 2014, 4:27 AM   #18
Established Member
 
Lani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Your dreams...
Posts: 5,293
Your recent threads have given me whiplash, Leigh.

It's fine to change your mind, but doing it so epically all the time makes me think you're not genuine. About anything. That it's all just a passing fad.
Calm down a little.

Also be careful about listing all your previous employment in detail in your CV. It's fine to list the jobs themselves to show there were no major gaps, but only list the tasks and skills under those that are relevant (ie. an admin employer isn't going to care what you did at KFC).

The biggest advice I can give you is to take it easy. Don't be erratic in your interviews, be clear, concise and to the point. Present yourself professionally and LISTEN. To all questions and points, not just those you want to.
Lani is offline  
Old 26th August 2014, 8:54 AM   #19
Established Member
 
Leigh 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 13,209
Wow.

Well, I just got shortlisted for a 50K AUD a year job.

It is troubleshooting/online assistance for one of the major banks.

The interview on the phone carried on for 45 mins. The HR recruiter decided to skip the online cam/interview and just put me through to tomorrow's final round.

My good friend also went for this same role two weeks ago and got it; so I know a little about the process/ what to expect.

I have waited all my adult life for a chance to earn a normal income where I can save for a mortgage deposit and then move out of home.

The recruiter explained that there is a lot of chance for career progression to highly paid jobs if you are the type of person who wants to progress in your career opposed to staying in the same role.






This is the biggest interview of my adult life so I am truly hoping for the best here.......
Leigh 87 is offline  
Old 26th August 2014, 8:57 AM   #20
Established Member
 
Lani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Your dreams...
Posts: 5,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh 87 View Post
Wow.

Well, I just got shortlisted for a 50K AUD a year job.

It is troubleshooting/online assistance for one of the major banks.

The interview on the phone carried on for 45 mins. The HR recruiter decided to skip the online cam/interview and just put me through to tomorrow's final round.

My good friend also went for this same role two weeks ago and got it; so I know a little about the process/ what to expect.

I have waited all my adult life for a chance to earn a normal income where I can save for a mortgage deposit and then move out of home.

The recruiter explained that there is a lot of chance for career progression to highly paid jobs if you are the type of person who wants to progress in your career opposed to staying in the same role.






This is the biggest interview of my adult life so I am truly hoping for the best here.......
Congratulations Leigh!
So the interview is tomorrow? Best of luck, keep us updated
Lani is offline  
Old 26th August 2014, 9:08 AM   #21
Established Member
 
Leigh 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 13,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by anne1707 View Post
I am very confused Leigh. You are now saying that you would love to do entry level admin work yet just a few weeks ago you said this:



which sounds very critical of admin work. What has made you change your mind?

(And I know you are not talking of not doing podiatry so don't think I have assumed you are no longer planning to study).


I applied for a trouble shooting position because I enjoy problem solving. I didn't think I would hear back.

Regarding admin work, a friend wanted to give me a chance to see if I enjoyed it, as they though I was a better fit for admin work than I was for all the other jobs I had been looking into.

Turns out, I did enjoy it as I managed to be kept busy and stimulated each day.

I guess I was sadly mistaken about admin/office jobs. My friends thought I should at least give it a go before I discounted it. They always heard how badly I wanted employment so I finally relented and tried one of their ideas (me trying out admin work for a day). Only I didn't have to do data entry, I just answered calls and sent emails, which they checked to see my level of accuracy.

I thought I would hate admin based roles and I ended up enjoying it when it came to actually giving it a go. I also thought I would enjoy aged care, which I did, but I hated the dirty work involved that I just couldn't ever learn to tolerate unless I was starving and desperate.

So I turned to volunteering in aged care residencies (rather than working as an aged carer and getting paid for it) as I enjoyed providing companionship, plus and volunteering is good for your health and it gives you something to do whilst you're not working. However, I did leave behind the notion of WORKING as an aged carer, as it is not all fun and games and "companionship". Aged care turned out to be more about toileting, showering and bowel care than actually talking to the residents of the facilities.

My friends told me I shouldn't just shun office work too and I figured I should listen to people who know me well. I didn't think I would enjoy it, I thought it would be boring. My parents had also been on my case surrounding employment opportunities I seemed to gravitate towards; they always insisted that I at least try admin/office type of roles as they strongly believed it suited me better than hospitality, retail and the like.

It is only in the past 7 days that I sort of said " okay then, fine, I will listen to people who know me seeing as I don't seem to be reaching any kind of success in my other endeavours"

I honestly didn't go into my friends office that morning and think I would have any sort of inclination to "paper pushing" office "crap". Then when the time came to go home, or have a lunch break, I was too enthused about the work I was carrying out that I had to be asked to leave (the office for lunch) so my friend could check their emails.

I wouldn't want to do it forever, but I liked it enough to actually enjoy doing it in addition to college......

I am truly appreciative of my friends for helping me out and trying to help get me into paid work and off government benefits.
Leigh 87 is offline  
Old 26th August 2014, 9:11 AM   #22
Established Member
 
Leigh 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 13,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani View Post
Congratulations Leigh!
So the interview is tomorrow? Best of luck, keep us updated

Earning 50K AUD, for me, would be a life changer. Plus it would be for a role that I actually like the sound of, and although all jobs have crap elements to them, I can actually see myself being stimulated academically, to solve the problems at hand (troubleshooting problems).

Trust me, this will be such a life changer.

I will definitely want to cry if I get to walk into my local welfare centre and declare to them that " I no longer need government assistance, I have a full time job"

I have another interview lined up afterwards for a much smaller pay check and I am sure I will go on to secure employment if this "big" job interview falls through.




GTG, I am researching the company........
Leigh 87 is offline  
Old 26th August 2014, 9:16 AM   #23
Established Member
 
anne1707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,512
Congrats on getting an interview.


As for the job - is it a FT one and will you be able to do it along with your podiatry studies?
anne1707 is offline  
Old 26th August 2014, 10:48 AM   #24
Established Member
 
Leigh 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 13,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by anne1707 View Post
Congrats on getting an interview.


As for the job - is it a FT one and will you be able to do it along with your podiatry studies?

I would have to opt for an online degree whilst working full time once I got offered the permanent position.

This opportunity would be way too good to pass up, it is at a bank that is voted number one for service.

They have on site gyms, pools.......

They pride themselves of being a very friendly work environment that treats their staff well. People I know who work for them have told me as such.

Plus they stress that there is a lot of scope for career progression and high earnings, so there would be no need for me to get a degree after all.

HOWEVER. My heart is set on a degree. Always has been, always will be.

IF I got the job and became good at it, I would get the permanent offer after a year or so, and THEN I would ask the bank which degree that is more to do with numbers than essay writing, would be of most assistance to me in my career progression at the bank.

I am happy to do any degree that is to do with numbers, science or the medical field. My friend studied actuary and made a load of money for a bank. I just know I have no future in an essay driven, wordy degree.. I have no passion for writing. Anything to do with numbers and problem solving, I enjoy albeit I may be rusty at math I would do extra classes prior to uni, if I were to do a math degree.






At 28 I gotta do what is best for my future, which totally doesn't have to scrap plans for me doing a degree simply because I acquire a really good full time position.

It would be better for me to focus on a job like this if I am lucky enough to get it, and to figure out how, once I establish myself, I can focus on furthering my education in a way that benefits the bank and myself AKA, leading me into a higher paid position via way of a degree I enjoy and has a decent rate of employment.







Podiatry is it for me if I don't get a worthwhile job by next February.
Leigh 87 is offline  
Old 26th August 2014, 11:58 AM   #25
Established Member
 
Leigh 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 13,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufo8mycat View Post
I have recruited lots of admin role, from receptionists to senior executive officer types and you need to demonstrate that you are a "yes" person. Proactive, positive and outcome focused.

If you show any on the push back that you show to posters on your threads who challenge you or don't agree with you then you really won't be suited to admin. Your job is to do. Question, clarify, ask politely but ultimately to be a do-oer and make stuff happens. Fit in the emergency appointments etc.

You also need to be super organised and very, very good with detail. As well as dealing with the crankers that are likely to come through the door. Again, if you arc up against people who yell at you, get upset with you or push your buttons then you won't do well in the role.

For the interview - LISTEN to what they are asking. Not what you think they are asking. And use frame your answers in a STAR approach.

S- describe a situation that illustrates your experience
T- what was the task or challenge?
A - what did YOU do. Not the team, not others, your direct action or involvement
R - what was the result or outcome

Most interviews are behavioural these days so you may not be asked how your skills are transferable, you might be asked how you demonstrate particular skills. There was one I always use on time management and competing dealines. Give an example of how you manage competing deadlines etc. Not how you might but an actual time where you had multiple deadlines and what you actually did.

good luck, although IMHO it seems to be a selection criteria for medical receptionist that you are a surly, unapproachable and power hungry where patients are a mere imposition on your time and must be put in their rightful place, in the waiting room.

Hopefully you can be the exception.



Thanks so much.

I was advised by the HR recruiter to look up star.

The way you explained it made the most sense.


I only get angry with posters who tell me I should not me mooching off my parents like it is a bad thing that I am living at home until I get a proper job.

Of people attack me and tell me there is something inherently lazy or wrong in staying at home until you get a good enough job that warrant moving out, then of course I tell then what I think.

However, this is a job I'd give my left arm for. I've worked in hospitality and retail before so I am well versed in irate customers. They never bother me, I am always focused on achieving a positive end result. It's just personal attacks on my lifestyle choices I find disguising. Such as calling ne lazy for living at home. Which many on here have done.
Leigh 87 is offline  
Old 26th August 2014, 12:54 PM   #26
Established Member
 
pink_sugar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NorCal
Posts: 3,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by anne1707 View Post
I am very confused Leigh. You are now saying that you would love to do entry level admin work yet just a few weeks ago you said this:



which sounds very critical of admin work. What has made you change your mind?

(And I know you are not talking of not doing podiatry so don't think I have assumed you are no longer planning to study).
Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed this..
pink_sugar is offline  
Old 26th August 2014, 1:25 PM   #27
Established Member
 
anne1707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,512
I doubt they would want you to do a maths degree as there are more relevant qualifications. There are actually formal banking and treasury qualifications (well there certainly are here in the UK) which you should maybe check out to see whether they are of interest. Just remember though Leigh that a key part of progression in a company is the ability to write good, clear reports especially if presenting complex financial info. You may not like writing essays but that does not mean you can avoid writing.


I am still surprised that you are now talking of yet another different career path.
anne1707 is offline  
Old 26th August 2014, 2:34 PM   #28
Established Member
 
Eternal Sunshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 11,085
Scatter gun approach. When you knock on 200 doors, one is bound to open
__________________
"I understand who you want me to be but, I am going to show you who I actually am"
Eternal Sunshine is offline  
Old 26th August 2014, 2:50 PM   #29
Established Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 5,422
Troubleshooting/online assistance sounds like a call centre role to me.

That would likely be more to do with login problems or and general problems to do with personal or business banking online. General customer service but for problems they are having.

This would be less of a numbers role and more of a headset on and taking calls plus writing clear and detailed notes on customer accounts so that next time they call any member of the team will know the history next time that customer calls.
Jobs like that can be a very pressurised environment and you're the first point of contact for very rude and angry customers so staff turn over is usually pretty high.

I could be wrong on that but that is what it sounds like to me.

Good luck with the interview!
GemmaUK is offline  
Old 26th August 2014, 3:14 PM   #30
Established Member
 
Mascara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: London
Posts: 984
I also think it sounds like call centre work, but more than that - it sounds like that somewhat high salary might not be an actual salary but based on OTE (on target earnings). In other words, they're paying a basic, and if you hit high targets, you'll get the full amount. Make sure to ask them, because very often OTEs are inflated. You might even be required to sell, ie your "troubleshooting" might involve calling customers and getting them to stay with/come back to the bank.
Mascara is offline  
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

 

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to get entry level admin job? tuxedo cat Business and Professional Relationships 18 28th July 2014 12:53 PM
Hated because I'm fine with Entry level low job? quietGuy13 Dating 128 17th March 2013 8:24 PM
The entry-level 30: Saying no to free food? spookie Physical Fitness, Health & Weight Management 1 13th August 2008 11:23 PM
tips for stabilizing swaying confidence-level? yes Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being 9 10th January 2004 7:19 PM

 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:16 AM.

Please note: The suggestions and advice offered on this web site are opinions only and are not to be used in the place of professional psychological counseling or medical advice. If you or someone close to you is currently in crisis or in an emergency situation, contact your local law enforcement agency or emergency number.


Copyright © 1997-2013 LoveShack.org. All Rights Reserved.