Thank you card for a professor?

purplesoccer34

I had two professors in college who were absolutely amazing. They were great at teaching and they helped me out a lot while I was taking their class. It was because of their help that I learned a lot and ended up doing well in their class.

A few months ago, they agreed to be references for me as I was applying to jobs, and I got the job I wanted. Just recently, they wrote me recommendation letters for graduate school, and I got into all the schools I applied to. I'm pretty sure their recommendation letters are what helped me.

I sent them a brief email telling them that I got into the schools and thanked them for their help. However, is this enough? I have a few thank you cards lying around that I made myself, and I think these would be nice to send in the mail or something. Since I already sent these professors a thank you email, would it be too much to send a thank you card now? I think they both went above and beyond as professors.

I think you do need to send them a handwritten thank you note or card. I think a note would be the best, personally, just because cards are sometimes so silly.

• Like 1

I think a card and an email expressing your gratitude is plenty. Cards are so rare these days, especially handmade ones so it'll be a pleasant surprise. Sending a gift isn't necessary and could be misinterpreted since being a reference and writing letters of recommendation for good students is a part of the job. I don't mean that it is literally spelled out in their job description, but that it is one of those things that one in such a role expects to do at some point.

• Like 1
  • Author
purplesoccer34
I think a card and an email expressing your gratitude is plenty. Cards are so rare these days, especially handmade ones so it'll be a pleasant surprise. Sending a gift isn't necessary and could be misinterpreted since being a reference and writing letters of recommendation for good students is a part of the job. I don't mean that it is literally spelled out in their job description, but that it is one of those things that one in such a role expects to do at some point.

Yeah I wasn't planning on sending a gift, haha. I also thought it could be misinterpreted. Okay cool, if a handmade card doesn't seem like it would be too much, I'll send the ones I made.