Community Forums

Reload this Page Community Forums > Platonic > Business and Professional Relationships

Reading too much into this?

Business and Professional Relationships Networking and maintaining a positive environment in the work place is important! Surviving the 9-to-5 within.

Old 23rd August 2014, 11:03 AM   #1
Reading too much into this?

I recently transferred at work. I work in conjunction with multiple departments, but chose to relocate my 'desk/office' to a different department than the one I was currently working in. When I asked initially about the relocation, the department supervisor was excited to have me join their group and be 'on-site'. The problem is that even though I am now technically a part of their department, I found out I am not included in the contact list about rules/procedures/protocols/agendas, etc. for that department ... even though I am not expected to follow them. I don't know what to do, because I thought this supervisor was so excited to have me, but yet - they have updated all their new staff onto their contact list (but failed to add me). Am I reading too much into this, and how do I approach someone about including me on a contact list? I worry that maybe I'm not supposed to be included and don't want to point it out, but then I'm not receiving any communication at all about what is going on. I found out about it from someone else, who forwarded an email to me after noticing I wasn't on the list but requesting information about something? I feel like maybe it's my supervisor showing that I'm not really all that wanted.
columbia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2014, 11:16 AM   #2
Established Member
Just ask.

People where I work get accidentally missed from communications now and then especially when new to a department.
It was probably just an oversight.
GemmaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2014, 12:44 PM   #3
Established Member
Yes, you're reading into it. That kind of oversight happens all the time. Just ask your manager to put you on the list.
If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster.
OnlyJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2014, 1:23 PM   #4
Established Member
He may not consider you part of his department and still part of wherever you were before. It could be he doesn't want to categorize you as part of his because it would overextend his hiring budget or something. Maybe you're still under the other location's financial umbrella. It doesn't hurt to ask. Just say, Hey, so how does this work now? Is there anything I need to do to get on your group's contact list and should I be aware of any rules or anything?
"I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not better for it." -- Abraham Lincoln
preraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2014, 2:09 PM   #5
Established Member
Reading too much into it.

Whoever updates contacts and it's usually not the manager just forgot to add you.
Sometimes there is no lesson. Thatís a lesson in itself.
Eternal Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote